HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Digestive Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/)
-   -   Bile Reflux/Alkaline gastritis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/756336-bile-reflux-alkaline-gastritis.html)

payton7299 07-01-2010 09:22 AM

Bile Reflux/Alkaline gastritis

After more than a year of suffering from nausea, this is my diagnosis as of yesterday. Anyone else been diagnosed with this?

In May of 2009, I started having nausea after eating, bloating, feeling full after not eating very much, and burping. My primary care doctor prescribed Protonix, which did absolutely nothing for my symptoms. I went back and this time she suggested it may be my gallbladder so I had a gallbladder u/s, which showed 2 gallstones. I was referred to a surgeon, who agreed that my gallbladder should come out and it would most likely relieve my symptoms.

I had my gallbladder out the week of Thanksgiving 2009 and the surgeon recommended I stay on a low fat diet while my body adjusted to not having a gallbladder anymore, which I did. I felt pretty good up until the week of Christmas when my family went out to eat at a favorite Mexican restaurant. I ordered veggie fajitas (tried to pick something somewhat healthy and lower in fat) and I ended up miserable nauseous all night and took some of the Compazine that I was prescribed for nausea after my gallbladder surgery.

After that, I started suffering with nausea several times per week, especially after eating out (even if I choose healthy options) and after having an occasional treat like one piece of cake or a serving of ice cream. I was referred to a gastroenterologist and went to see her in March. She thought that it possibly had not been enough time for my body to adjust to not having a gallbladder so she recommended for me to go on a probiotic, Aciphex, and prescribed phenergan for the nausea attacks and asked that I make another appointment in 3 months.

After still suffering from nausea and having to take phenergan 3-4 times per week, I went back in June and she recommended that I have a gastric emptying test to rule out gastroparesis and an EGD to rule out other things.

Instead of having a slow emptying stomach, my gastric emptying test showed that I have rapid emptying. I still don't know what this means but I know that I don't have gastroparesis so this is not what is causing my nausea.

I had the EGD last week and she said that I have "non corrosive gastritis" but was otherwise normal except that I did have some bile where my gallbladder used to be. She took two biopsies-one for h pylori and one for celiac disease (which my daughter has but I have had a celiac panel blood test which was completely negative and I don't think I have this and neither did my gastro, she was just ruling it out). The h pylori came back negative and my celiac test hasn't come back yet.

So she diagnosed me with bile reflux/alkaline gastritis and has prescribed Carafate to coat my stomach and relieve my nausea. I am hoping it works but skeptical.

Anyway, does anyone else suffer from this? What can be done?

lillye 11-21-2011 11:01 AM

Re: Bile Reflux/Alkaline gastritis

Hi i hope you are still around--I have the same nausea for 4 months after having gallbladder surgery---did your nausea get better---did the Carafate work? I have been taking it for a few months once or twice a day and I still have nausea---if yours is gone, what helped? Thanks so much---lillye