It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

payton7299 HB User
Bile Reflux/Alkaline gastritis

After more than a year of suffering from nausea, this is my diagnosis as of yesterday. Anyone else been diagnosed with this?

In May of 2009, I started having nausea after eating, bloating, feeling full after not eating very much, and burping. My primary care doctor prescribed Protonix, which did absolutely nothing for my symptoms. I went back and this time she suggested it may be my gallbladder so I had a gallbladder u/s, which showed 2 gallstones. I was referred to a surgeon, who agreed that my gallbladder should come out and it would most likely relieve my symptoms.

I had my gallbladder out the week of Thanksgiving 2009 and the surgeon recommended I stay on a low fat diet while my body adjusted to not having a gallbladder anymore, which I did. I felt pretty good up until the week of Christmas when my family went out to eat at a favorite Mexican restaurant. I ordered veggie fajitas (tried to pick something somewhat healthy and lower in fat) and I ended up miserable nauseous all night and took some of the Compazine that I was prescribed for nausea after my gallbladder surgery.

After that, I started suffering with nausea several times per week, especially after eating out (even if I choose healthy options) and after having an occasional treat like one piece of cake or a serving of ice cream. I was referred to a gastroenterologist and went to see her in March. She thought that it possibly had not been enough time for my body to adjust to not having a gallbladder so she recommended for me to go on a probiotic, Aciphex, and prescribed phenergan for the nausea attacks and asked that I make another appointment in 3 months.

After still suffering from nausea and having to take phenergan 3-4 times per week, I went back in June and she recommended that I have a gastric emptying test to rule out gastroparesis and an EGD to rule out other things.

Instead of having a slow emptying stomach, my gastric emptying test showed that I have rapid emptying. I still don't know what this means but I know that I don't have gastroparesis so this is not what is causing my nausea.

I had the EGD last week and she said that I have "non corrosive gastritis" but was otherwise normal except that I did have some bile where my gallbladder used to be. She took two biopsies-one for h pylori and one for celiac disease (which my daughter has but I have had a celiac panel blood test which was completely negative and I don't think I have this and neither did my gastro, she was just ruling it out). The h pylori came back negative and my celiac test hasn't come back yet.

So she diagnosed me with bile reflux/alkaline gastritis and has prescribed Carafate to coat my stomach and relieve my nausea. I am hoping it works but skeptical.

Anyway, does anyone else suffer from this? What can be done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
(female)

lillye HB User
Re: Bile Reflux/Alkaline gastritis

Hi i hope you are still around--I have the same nausea for 4 months after having gallbladder surgery---did your nausea get better---did the Carafate work? I have been taking it for a few months once or twice a day and I still have nausea---if yours is gone, what helped? Thanks so much---lillye

Closed Thread