It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
(male)

randomblah HB User
Constipation, Cramping, and Fiber

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I apologize in advance if it's a little long.

I'm a 22 year old, 130 lb, tall and skinny guy who just graduated university back in May. During my 4 years in college, I can't recall cooking a single meal...I had pretty much the worst diet anyone could have (and maybe I'm paying the price for that today...). Fast food, dorm food, whatever...however I never had any digestive problems. That all changed when I got my first real job in June...

I had my first bout of constipation in my life. Along with the constipation was bad cramping, so bad that I needed to go to the doctor who recommended Miralax and increased fiber. The Miralax got things moving again but the cramps persisted for about 3-4 weeks. I didn't have insurance yet so I just stuck it out and eventually the cramps went away. Given how this was one of the most horrible experiences I've had, I definitely wanted to make sure nothing like this would happen again. After doing some research, I found that poor diet and stress are 2 of the leading causes. Well stress isn't something that I could cut down on so I tried eating much healthier. I started eating fresh fruit, vegetables, and whole grain bread. Things were all better from mid-July to mid-August...and now it's hit again.

About 2 weeks ago I got another bout of constipation (probably due to a lapse into my 'mcdonalds diet'). This time I knew how to handle it without medicine. I just increased my fiber consumption and things started flowing again. However the cramps are still present after 2 weeks. The gas, bloating, and cramping are constantly there. I've been ingesting approximately 35-40g of fiber per day for the past 2 weeks. I know an overabundance of fiber can cause these symptoms but I'm worried this is a repetitive cycle of constipation and cramping that's going to continue happening. I scheduled an appointment with a doctor for next week but I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

I feel the constipation is due to stress and I just need to keep up the good dietary habits but there's that part of me that wonders if it could be something much bigger. My biggest concern is the cramping that's lasting for weeks at a time. With this cramping, I'm going to the restroom 2-3 times a day (no diarrhea or trouble passing) so it seems things are flowing smoothly but the cramps persist constantly throughout the day. Something is definitely still wrong but I have no idea what it could be! Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by randomblah; 09-01-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
(male)

pantherx HB User
Re: Constipation, Cramping, and Fiber

Could be intestinal parasites which can be contracted from raw vegetables and from food handled by people with unclean hands (like in a fast-food joint or dorm cafeteria). If so, the remedy is inexpensive, easy, and harmless.

The best treatment is a combination of wormwood extract and black walnut husk powder. You'll find different product brands at a health food store or supermarket and on line. You take the herbs for a month with lots of water, fiber (psyllium), and regular diet high in fruits and vegetables. You might also mix in a quarter of half teaspoon of diatomaceous earth occasionally with the psyllium.

Most MD's won't diagnose parasites but instead will laugh it off and prescribe pharmaceuticals to treat the symptoms. Do an internet search on intestinal parasites and you'll find a lot about them.

If that doesn't clear you up, you haven't spent much, it only took a month to try, and you've cleared out parasites that could cause other problems.

Last edited by pantherx; 09-01-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: unintenionall left out 'MD's

Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
(male)

randomblah HB User

Well I went to the doctor finally and was told it's probably Irritable Bowel Syndrome and could have been caused because I went off my anxiety medication back in May (my symptoms started in June). Not sure I'm satisfied with that answer. Pantherx, I looked into those herbs you were mentioning and actually I read that the black walnut extract can be toxic if taken for more than a week. Sounds a little risky to me...

Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
(female)

cassmom16 HB User

My daughter suffers from this yoyo of constipation, cramping, and relief. Hers seems tied to lack of fruits and vegetable, dehydration, and lack of exercise. You could also be paying for a pretty radical change of diet. Stay off the fast food though.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
(male)

randomblah HB User

Yeah that seems to be what I'm going through...except this time the cramping isn't going away. Another thing I thought of is it could be an allergy to wheat. I've been eating tons of wheat products to get that 40g of fiber. With as much wheat as I'm eating, it might be my own treatment that's making it worse. Oh and FYI I was tested for celiac disease 3 years ago and it was negative. I'm assuming though that you can still have a wheat allergy and not have celiac?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
(female)

cassmom16 HB User

you could be intolerant of gluten (wheat products) without having celiac disease. My husband is and does alot better when he stays away from wheat.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
(male)

randomblah HB User

well some blood test results came back and shows that I have celiac disease...maybe the first biopsy back a few years ago was wrong or maybe I just developed it now? I don't know but it seems my life is over...there's like nothing gluten-free arrrrgh!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
(female)

BoldBowels HB User

You are so lucky to have found this out without further years of suffering.I got a blood test several months ago. Do you think it could have been wrong as it came back negative but suffer like you do but with horrendous gas al the time.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

I had this, it was potassium deficiency, it was my desending colon that was cramping on my lower left side. When I went to the Dr., she gave me anti spasm meds., and I went home and read up online and I had stripped my potassium out of my body with super dieters tea with senna and hurt it.....still take lots of suppliments to keep potassium up 10 almost years later.

Closed Thread