It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
(male)

bg77 HB User
slight discomfort and recently burning left of navel

For about 4 months, I've had this "dragging" and gassyish feeling about 2 inches left (MY left) of my navel in my lower abdomen. Not really pain, more of a slight pressure, or almost a feeling of a bubble of gas. It comes and goes, sometimes gone completely, and sometimes feels a bit better after a BM.

A few days ago, while carrying a basket full of clothes up the stairs, I held the basket against my abdomen, and felt a sharp, 10-second burning sensation in that same general area that went away. I got the feeling again when carrying my son today. It generally starts off at it's highest intensity then fades down over a few seconds. It almost feels like skin being stretched or rubbed, like an "Indian Burn" or something.

To add to this, I've had a dry, lingering, hacking cough from a bout with bronchitis a couple weeks ago that could be worsening whatever is going on there.

The only thing that even slightly seems plausible in searches is diverticulitis, or possibly ulcerative colitis but neither seem to really fit. Everything else seems normal that I can see.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User
Re: slight discomfort and recently burning left of navel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg77 View Post
For about 4 months, I've had this "dragging" and gassyish feeling about 2 inches left (MY left) of my navel in my lower abdomen. Not really pain, more of a slight pressure, or almost a feeling of a bubble of gas. It comes and goes, sometimes gone completely, and sometimes feels a bit better after a BM.

A few days ago, while carrying a basket full of clothes up the stairs, I held the basket against my abdomen, and felt a sharp, 10-second burning sensation in that same general area that went away. I got the feeling again when carrying my son today. It generally starts off at it's highest intensity then fades down over a few seconds. It almost feels like skin being stretched or rubbed, like an "Indian Burn" or something.

To add to this, I've had a dry, lingering, hacking cough from a bout with bronchitis a couple weeks ago that could be worsening whatever is going on there.

The only thing that even slightly seems plausible in searches is diverticulitis, or possibly ulcerative colitis but neither seem to really fit. Everything else seems normal that I can see.
I know I am going to sound like a broken record, but you need to go see your doctor to get a diagnosis. If I had gone to see my doctor back when symptoms started, I might have been able to manage my diverticulitis. I waited until I was at a critical state and now I have to go have colon resection.

I think you are better off getting a clear diagnosis so at least you will know what you need to do about it.

I wish you the best and I am willing to bet that it is Diverticulitis and if so, the reason you feel you are being stretched by a hot knife is that you are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
(male)

bg77 HB User

I have also, just a couple times, had a small amount of bright red blood on the surface of my stool. Once, 4 months ago, it was several lines the whole way down, and today, a small spot on one side.

I had a digital exam about 3 months ago, and the doctor didn't seem to notice anything, but it has me concerned. She said "probably a small internal hemrrhoid but I can't find it" and that was it.

My gut says cancer would either have been obvious in the digital exam if in the rectum, or, if farther up would discolor the stool itself (tarry/reddish color instead of on the surface) and not the surface most likely...is that a safe assumption?

Old 12-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
(male)

bg77 HB User

GP is sending me for a CT scan. She seems to feel that while diverticulitis is possible, it would be a very mild case in how it's presented. Another possibility was that I have diverticulosis with no infection, but possibly one of the pouches in a location where it's very sensitive.

Her other hypothesis was some type of hernia, but she was unable to find anything pressing around in there.

This whole thing has me worried...my whole life I have had a fear that any time an exam or scan is done they're going to tell me it's cancer or something...I guess that's not normal but maybe I'm just nuts.

I just know that they'll do the CT and:

A. Find nothing and do more tests
B. Find something really bad
C. Find something nonspecific and do more tests

Last edited by bg77; 12-08-2010 at 07:27 AM.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User

Quote:
GP is sending me for a CT scan. She seems to feel that while diverticulitis is possible, it would be a very mild case in how it's presented. Another possibility was that I have diverticulosis with no infection, but possibly one of the pouches in a location where it's very sensitive.

Her other hypothesis was some type of hernia, but she was unable to find anything pressing around in there.

This whole thing has me worried...my whole life I have had a fear that any time an exam or scan is done they're going to tell me it's cancer or something...I guess that's not normal but maybe I'm just nuts.

I just know that they'll do the CT and:

A. Find nothing and do more tests
B. Find something really bad
C. Find something nonspecific and do more tests
D. FIND SOMETHING NOT SO BAD, BUT AT LEAST DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE
Sorry, I had to edit your above post to add Option D.

My bet is that they do a CT with Contrast and find Diverticula, whether they have developed into Diverticulitis or they are just Diverticulosis would only refer to their current state.

If you have had infection in the past, it is possible that you could have some small adhesions causing you the pain. I think going for a CT scan is the best possible news you could get, who wants to sit around guessing with some dude on the internet what may be bothering you?

By the way, I am having my Colon Resection tomorrow, so I'll let you know what it is like to have a "Semi-Colon" next week.

Last edited by geme; 12-08-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
(male)

bg77 HB User

Good luck with the resection. I hope things heal up and you're problem-free after that.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User

Quote:
Good luck with the resection. I hope things heal up and you're problem-free after that.
Let me know how your CT goes. I'll have you in my prayers.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
(male)

bg77 HB User

gemeinschaft, are you going to have an ostomy after your surgery or do they think they can reattach right away?

Old 12-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
(male)

bg77 HB User

So yesterday, no morning BM as usual, and today, what I did have was small and hard although I "feel" OK, and in fact my tender area hurts less than normal. Instead the whole general stomach/intestinal area is a bit achy like when you eat too many sweets, but not that pain you get when you're actually constipated.

However, I stopped eating my daily yogurt on Tuesday per my Doc's suggestion (she thinks I might have a bit of lactose intolerance or a bacterial over/undergrowth somewhere on top of other stuff)...and I think perhaps my body was used to the yogurt keeping things moving...whaddaya think?

Last edited by bg77; 12-10-2010 at 06:29 AM.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User

Quote:
gemeinschaft, are you going to have an ostomy after your surgery or do they think they can reattach right away?
The ostomy was not planned, but during surgery, they found a large amount of infection that they removed. This required them to give me an ileostomy and then they will go back and reverse it in about 2-3 months.

Fun, huh?

That being said, I would say if your body works better when you are regularly eating yogurt, then eat yogurt. Yogurt is actually what has helped me immensely when I have had flair ups from diverticulitis. The active cultures help regulate your GI tract and keep it healthy.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
(male)

bg77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemeinschaft View Post
The ostomy was not planned, but during surgery, they found a large amount of infection that they removed. This required them to give me an ileostomy and then they will go back and reverse it in about 2-3 months.

Fun, huh?

That being said, I would say if your body works better when you are regularly eating yogurt, then eat yogurt. Yogurt is actually what has helped me immensely when I have had flair ups from diverticulitis. The active cultures help regulate your GI tract and keep it healthy.
Glad you made it through OK though. My CT is FINALLY set for Saturday. Mostly feeling better than I was, but regardless, I want to have it looked at.

How much colon did they have to cut out?

Will you be returning to work with the ostomy in? I am trying to imagine the logistics of that (but I don't know your profession...)

Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User

Quote:
Glad you made it through OK though. My CT is FINALLY set for Saturday. Mostly feeling better than I was, but regardless, I want to have it looked at.

How much colon did they have to cut out?

Will you be returning to work with the ostomy in? I am trying to imagine the logistics of that (but I don't know your profession...)
They had to take out about 8 inches plus the pocket of infection which was about 50cc of volume.

I am working from home for now, but I plan to go back into the office soon.

The ostomy nurse who came to my room to train me on how to care for myself told me that she has a patient with a permanent ileostomy who has been playing in the NFL for the past 7 years!!! I don't think I will be doing any contact sports, but I think once the initial inflammation goes down, life will be much better. I'd hate to get tackled by my bag... (Now there is something to picture)

Old 01-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
(male)

bg77 HB User

OK, so as I think I said, CT was fine, nothing at all showed unusual.

I have set an appt w/ a gastroenterologist at my GP's recommendation...here's the latest.

Well the mostly normal bowel movements are no longer as normal. Around the 23rd, I had mild diarrhea (no blood) for about a day, went twice and it was soft and only somewhat held together in the water. Then it resolved, then I erred towards constipation for a few days - I was still going once daily, but it was hard and small. Then a few normal days (smooth stools right in the mid of the Bristol scale).

Then this Monday (Jan 3), I went twice in an hour, first time was large width and volume but mostly normal consistency, the second time it was also large volume and slightly softer but still smooth. The third time, around 5 hours later, it was very soft, and almost a floater, raggedly formed (but still large diameter), didn't fall apart in the water, but floated initially before sinking a few seconds later. There was also some blood on the surface or something red. When I wiped, once I was mostly clean, I was still getting a bit of blood on the paper in a streak, and I felt really raw down there. For the rest of the day I had the feeling off and on that I had to go but nothing came out. I get that from time to time anyway, the feeling I have to "go" but nothing is there but gas. Then Tuesday, the feeling of upset stomach and having to "go" subsided somewhat, my only BM that day was still a bit soft, ragged edges but held together. Light brown and dark brown mixed, floated for a minute, then sunk, but a more normal (for me) volume. Does the "multicolor" thing mean anything as long as the colors are all within the normal brown range? That also happens from time to time even when otherwise normal.

What's odd is I have had that happen once or twice a year for years, but instead of happening with a hard stool, it happens more with a large diameter stool even if it's on the softer side. Since it hurts a little when this happens it could be as simple as a fissure or hemorrhoid, but with the other stuff I'm worried it might be Ulcerative Colitis or something worse (cancer).

So...it could be UC, it could be cancer (unlikely I suppose esp since nothing was seen on CT, plus I'm only 33, or maybe a combination of IBS and fissures or hemorrhoid...or what about something like Celiac disease?

FWIW the pain I originally posted about is 95% gone.

I'm too young for this sh*t! (no pun intended)

Last edited by bg77; 01-05-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User

Did you ever get a diagnosis?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #15
(male)

bg77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemeinschaft View Post
Did you ever get a diagnosis?
Probable IBS. Gastroenterologist wants a fecal test, blood tests including gluten intolerance and c-reactive protein and a colonoscopy to be safe.

I have been closely inspecting every BM lately, and I keep imagining I see something bloodlike, but when I really look closely, I think rather than a red tint, I'm really seeing just variations in the brown color.

I tend more towards slightly harder stools when I'm "normal" but have noticed that when I worry about it, they get softer and bigger. Today, I passed a very soft (held together, but floated briefly) stool that was slightly orangish in tint, and a bit of an oily substance floated in the water. However last night I ate a bunch of lasagna that was loaded in cheese...so I wonder if it was just too much fat at once. Fatty stools indicate malabsorption, but my most recent liver test (a yr ago) came back just fine and it only happens once in a while like that.

Closed Thread