It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
(male)

Mike171 HB User
Constipation won't go away. What am I doing wrong?

I'm a male and 17 years old. Over the past 4 to 5 days I have been constipated and only pass small stools that are broken up into pieces. It is difficult for me to have bowel movements, I usually have to sit on the toilet and use my diaphragm to push. I don't know what is causing the constipation, because I eat very healthy and exercise regularly. The only lapse in my sustained diet was Thanksgiving week. I ate some unhealthy food that week and did not exercise much for a couple days. My normal diet (usually the same every day) is:

Breakfast:
Plain, unflavored oatmeal
TBS. of peanut butter
Banana
Water

Snack:
Kashi TLC Bar

Lunch:
Turkey breast on wheat bread
Carrots
Apple
Pretzels
Trail mix (peanuts, almonds, cashews, M&Ms, raisins; not salted)
Kashi cookie (sometimes)

Snack:
Usually something with Peanut Butter
Leftovers from dinner
Metamucil

Dinner:
Salad
Fruit
Whatever is made for dinner that night

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My diet is healthy, I exercise, I drink a TON of water. What else can I do? Any help is appreciated, this problem is very annoying.

Last edited by Mike171; 12-04-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
(female)

pfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB Userpfe HB User
Re: Constipation won't go away. What am I doing wrong?

Hi, Your diet looks good to me. Maybe:

1) Some people have trouble with oatmeal. Try substituting something else.
2) Bananas can cause constipation in some people. Stop eating them until problem resolves.
3) Protein bars can be difficult to digest for some people.
4) Not drinking enough water with the Metamucil or apples (even if you drink a lot at other times). Maybe try stopping the Metamucil, since you already eat a lot of fiber or increase the water you drink with it.

If this problem keeps up, try avoiding dairy-products/chocolate, to see if that's the culprit.

If it still continues, visit your doctor and let them know how many weeks it's been occurring and that this is very abnormal for you.

Edit: Write down everything you eat and drink so if you end up at the doctor's office, you can show him/her.

Last edited by pfe; 12-04-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
(male)

Mike171 HB User

Thank you for the response. I'll try eliminating oatmeal and bananas from my diet for a few days and see if there's improvement. I'll also make a "food diary" and list everything I eat/drink like you said.

Anyone else have some tips for me?

I'm thinking of laying off nuts for a little awhile. I'm probably going to go eat something greasy to soften my stool. It usually works lol

Last edited by Mike171; 12-04-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
(male)

David95 HB User

I hope your doing better. Banana's always constipate me so removing those is a good idea. I have had a life long battle with constipation as well. I started having a bowl of hot millot (available at health food store) and a bowl of brown rice with dinner. This helped me tremendously. I have tried the medamusel stuff but it didn't work for me. I also take vitamin c and magnesium, both of these work also. If I eat a lot of processed foods I will get constipated so I try and avoid these. I used to eat a lot of peanut butter, but have switched to natural almond butter and seem to do better on this. My mom also had the same problem but she swears by flax seed oil. Apples work well for me too, somedays I have three of them, and salads always constipate me. If I really get despairate I will have a cup of coffee and this usually cleans me out. Thats all that works for me-good luck.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Do you take any supplements or Rx drugs? Supplements like calcium can cause constipation (due to the binders they use in the pill) and some prescription meds (particularly painkillers) can cause constipation.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
(male)

Mike171 HB User

On Sunday I had a pretty large bowel movement, but the stool was characteristic of constipation. The stool was formed into tiny balls instead of a solid piece. I haven't had a normal bowel movement since then. This is really getting on my nerves. The constipation is aggravating my receded hemorrhoids; they are now popping out again and it's painful.

I feel really backed up and bloated. I don't know what foods are causing it and it's starting to really get on my nerves. I'm going to go buy a stool softener and see if it helps at all.

I drink plenty of water, I exercise, I eat plenty of fiber. I'm 17 years old. No idea how this even happened, I'm losing patience.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Mike171: You need to eat more "P" fruits. P=poop!!! Pineapple, pears, prunes, peaches, etc. Try taking a magnesium supplement and also eat more fish, especially salmon. Beets are a good source to get things moving, too and you can tell how fast your bowels are moving when you eat them because you'll be able to see the red stool. Drinking water is good but if you're overdoing it with the fiber then you might be needing more water than you think. Dark chocolate and nuts are also good. Think about ex-lax - that's dark chocolate.

It's not good if you've got hemmoroids. You don't want to get to the point where you need an enema.

The bananas have to go - The BRAT diet is used for when you have diarreha - Bananas, rice, apples and toast.

Try to eat leafy greens like spinach. Eat it in a salad instead of cooking it.

I hope you've found some relief by now. I'm sure it is very uncomfortable.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi,

Apple Juice, stool softners (help w/ those roids!) and there's this VERY mild laxative containing polyethylene glycol that you mix w/ either juice or water you can get the brand name or store brand (I don't want to put the brand name here). I use it all the time and it works great I have the same problems due to pain meds and you need to be careful not to get a anal fissure here.

It may take you several days for it to work well. Just ask your pharmacist or Dr. Good luck.!

CJ

Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I'd buy some Milk of Magnesia and take the maximum recomended laxative dose with a large glass of water (the usualy maximum dose is 4 tablespoons/60ml - this will get you moving in a couple of hours.

Eating a high fibre breakfast ceral is very good, Allbran, bran flakes etc, if you dont like these, then a daily dose of Citrucel is a good substitute

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 12-14-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
(male)

Mike171 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92261 View Post
Mike171: You need to eat more "P" fruits. P=poop!!! Pineapple, pears, prunes, peaches, etc. Try taking a magnesium supplement and also eat more fish, especially salmon. Beets are a good source to get things moving, too and you can tell how fast your bowels are moving when you eat them because you'll be able to see the red stool. Drinking water is good but if you're overdoing it with the fiber then you might be needing more water than you think. Dark chocolate and nuts are also good. Think about ex-lax - that's dark chocolate.

It's not good if you've got hemmoroids. You don't want to get to the point where you need an enema.

The bananas have to go - The BRAT diet is used for when you have diarreha - Bananas, rice, apples and toast.

Try to eat leafy greens like spinach. Eat it in a salad instead of cooking it.

I hope you've found some relief by now. I'm sure it is very uncomfortable.
So should I avoid apples since they're a part of the BRAT diet?

Also my parents told me I should stop eating nuts for a few days and see if that works, but you suggest I eat them. Can nuts ever cause constipation?

I used milk of magnesia and passed a medium-sized stool. I just took it again about an hour ago so I'll see if it works better this time. I took about 2.5 to 3 tbs of the milk of magnesia by the way.

This is what I ate today:

2 nutri-grain waffles, natural peanut butter, apple, glass of water
turkey breast on two slices of wheat bread, apple, carrots, salad, pretzels and cheerios, fiber one bar (chocolate oats)

I haven't ate since 11am and it is currently 5:45pm. I'm not hungry, which is really weird because I'm usually hungry all the time. My stomach just feels gross like it needs to be emptied.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Mike171: The first thing I noticed was you ate 2 apples today. Apples can go either way and right now I'd say stay away from them. They are on the BRAT diet so avoid them until you can get this fixed. You also ate alot of binding carbs. Bread, pretzels, waffles, cherrios, etc. That's not good. Get the P fruits. Eat salads, fruits, and yogurt might help too. You need to drink alot of water to handle what you're eating there. No wonder you're bound up. You need a balance. This is a bad time of year for cookies and cakes and junk food too.

Eat the nuts. Nuts are a good source of magnesium and other vitamins and minerals. Go out and get some magnesium supplements. Get some dark chocolate and eat that. If you have to get an enema, get it and get some relief.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
(male)

Mike171 HB User

Quote:
Mike171: The first thing I noticed was you ate 2 apples today. Apples can go either way and right now I'd say stay away from them. They are on the BRAT diet so avoid them until you can get this fixed. You also ate alot of binding carbs. Bread, pretzels, waffles, cherrios, etc. That's not good. Get the P fruits. Eat salads, fruits, and yogurt might help too. You need to drink alot of water to handle what you're eating there. No wonder you're bound up. You need a balance. This is a bad time of year for cookies and cakes and junk food too.

Eat the nuts. Nuts are a good source of magnesium and other vitamins and minerals. Go out and get some magnesium supplements. Get some dark chocolate and eat that. If you have to get an enema, get it and get some relief.
Ok, I'll try not to eat any apples until this clears up. I figured they were helping because they're high in fiber and are fruits. I'll aim for pears and peaches as you said. I was also trying to eat Activia yogurt because it apparently helps regulate your digestive system. Do you have an opinion on that yogurt?

Should I try to eat eggs in the morning instead of waffles? I have trouble finding foods to replace the "binding" carbs you mentioned. Are carrots binding carbs as well?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mike171: Try eating eggs in the morning but ditch the toast, waffles, etc. All these foods you're eating are high in fiber and you're binding yourself up because you're not drinking enough water to chase it all. Try eating soups - no crackers. Soup is a good source of water too. Eat all the fruits I mentioned. Carrots are o.k. I'd say. All the green leafy vegetables are the type of fiber you want anyway. The fiber from these complex carbs is killing you. Those are the kinds of carbs that diabetics need to avoid. Getting your carbs and fiber from anything NOT in a box is better.

Drinking some coffee might help you too. Eat some fish - get some salmon. And.... if you like liver that could help too. I know, it sounds gross, but it could help if you like it. Green vegetables like brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, and green beans can help. If you like avocados they might help too.

If it doesn't work then call your doctor. You might benefit from seeing a dietician, too to help you get on a better diet. I bet you're gaining weight from all these carbs you're eating.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
(male)

Mike171 HB User

Quote:
Mike171: Try eating eggs in the morning but ditch the toast, waffles, etc. All these foods you're eating are high in fiber and you're binding yourself up because you're not drinking enough water to chase it all. Try eating soups - no crackers. Soup is a good source of water too. Eat all the fruits I mentioned. Carrots are o.k. I'd say. All the green leafy vegetables are the type of fiber you want anyway. The fiber from these complex carbs is killing you. Those are the kinds of carbs that diabetics need to avoid. Getting your carbs and fiber from anything NOT in a box is better.

Drinking some coffee might help you too. Eat some fish - get some salmon. And.... if you like liver that could help too. I know, it sounds gross, but it could help if you like it. Green vegetables like brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, and green beans can help. If you like avocados they might help too.

If it doesn't work then call your doctor. You might benefit from seeing a dietician, too to help you get on a better diet. I bet you're gaining weight from all these carbs you're eating.
Ok, I'll try to eat 3 eggs (scrambled), 2 slices of bacon and a glass of orange juice and glass of water for breakfast. Is that good? The eggs will include butter and some milk.

I do eat a lot of complex carbs but they do not cause me to gain weight. I exercise quite a bit and I guess I had a fast metabolism, at least before this stuff happened. I only weigh about 135 and I'm around 5'9".

I don't have a problem eating more fish and vegetables. However, I rarely get to eat fish because the only time I have a chance to eat it is at my girlfriend's house.

My girlfriend's mom is a dietitian but I haven't spoken to her about this problem, mainly because it's embarrassing haha. She was the person who told me I need to eat more carbs because of how often I work out. She said I don't get enough carbs to refuel my muscles. I guess I should still try to avoid gaining carbs from foods like waffles and plain bread.

Thanks for all the tips. If you have any other tips at all, I wouldn't mind hearing them. Your advice is sound lol

Old 12-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mike171: Take advantage of your girlfriends mother - in the right way!!!! LOL. She's got info for cheap - FREE! You've got all that right at your finger tips and you're not taking advantage of it. I'm sure she'd be willing to help you figure this out. It might be embarrassing right now but what are you going to do when you end up telling her you had to get an enema!!!!!!?

What does your girlfriend say? She could be your go-between for you. The heck with the muscles right now. Right now you've got bowel issues which is more important. You might also consider getting checked for celiac disease. That's where your body had a gluten intolerance. It's an autoimmune disorder. You should get your blood sugars checked too to make sure you're not headed towards diabetes. Right now you need to be on a diabetic's diet. P fruits and veggies....... I don't know about that Activia. I buy Dannon. Try using the yogurts with the peaches and pineapples in them. Good luck and don't give up yet.

Closed Thread