It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

noltes2 HB User
Stomach pain, vomiting, weight loss. Need your advice!!!

Hello all, I need your advice. I know alot of you have gone through something similar.

I am a 23 year old female, do not smoke, drink, do drugs, and clean health history up until the past 3-4 years. I have been experiencing the following, progressively getting worse:

-Severe and persistent stomach pain
-Frequent stomach aches
-Burning stomach
-Vomiting 5-6 days per week, 1-2 times per day
-Can only eat very small portions, and infrequently
-Loss of 33 pounds in 5 months (when this issue started getting VERY bad)

Antacids relieve a bit of the stomach pain after I vomit to reduce acid. Doctors just assumed it was acid reflux without doing any tests and prescribed me high doses of antacids. Like I said, they would relieve a bit of the stomach pain but never really help. I don't get heart burn very often, it is all in my stomach.

The doctor I saw last time basically told me it was all in my head and I should see a therapist for stress. I'm sorry, but this is NOT just stress. Stress does tend to make everything worse, but this is not the problem. I finally got a referral to a gastroenterologist and they did a consult today. He asked me some basic questions and put pressure on my stomach and certain parts of it hurt. I have an endoscopy scheduled, but I am trying to figure out some of the issues it could be.

-Ulcer? (I tested negative for H. Plyori)
-Gastritis?
-Severe acid reflux?
What else could it be? I am young and should not be having these problems.

I'd appreciate your input! Thank you!

-Sara

Last edited by noltes2; 12-08-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: Stomach pain, vomiting, weight loss. Need your advice!!!

Gastritis is an irritation of the stomach lining and that could be causing the burning feeling. It will be impossible to say exactly what it is without an endoscopy. I have some of the similar issues and i'm waiting to get my endoscopy. If it is any of the 3 things you mention then it is important that you follow a low-fat diet until you get your results.

Good Luck!!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User

You could have a blockage in your small intestine. Keep pushing your doctors to do more testing, this isn't normal.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
(female)

RVespa HB User
Smile Re: Stomach pain, vomiting, weight loss. Need your advice!!!

You symtoms sound a lot like mine. I was recently diagnosed with Gastroparesis. Ask your doctor if they can do a gastric emptying study. It is a very underdiagnosed condition. My doctor was not testing for it, and one day I got lucky and saw his Physicians Assistant. She nailed the problem right away, as she also suffers from it. They have you report to testing on an empty stomach. You eat some eggs and drink juice that has a dye that shows up on special x-rays, to see how long it takes you to digest your food. I'm not saying you have gastroparesis, but I would certainly have them do the tests for it. I would also suggest testing for celiac disease. (gluton intolerance). Good luck!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
(female)

Greenfroggy77 HB User

I agree with the last poster...I also have Gastroparesis,and you sound exactly as I was a few years ago..The doctors told me it was in my head..when finally I found a doctor who did a stomach emptying test and found that my stomach was not digesting my food..which led to the stomach pain,and vomiting...With GP you have to follow a low fat,low fiber diet,as the stomach has a hard time digesting these things...I havnt had vegi's in two years and can only eat chicken,no red meat...I would find a good GI doctor and talk to him/her about the possibility of having Gastroparesis!!! Good Luck

Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
(female)

noltes2 HB User

So I got my biopsy and test results back. I have 3 stomach ulcers, gastritis AND Barrett's Esophagus. I just got the letter early today. I don't know what to think. Why do I have these problems at 23? It just doesn't seem right. The letter was short and sweet and told me to make a follow up appointment. I just can't wrap my head around having all these problems.... for a non-smoking, normal weight, non-drinking person. I read that Barrett's Esophagus can lead to cancer and Esophageal cancer is lethal.

Does anyone else here have Barrett's?

Closed Thread