It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

MrsManda76 HB User
Undigested Food

I know this has probably been asked already, but I have tried to research this for a long time and I am coming up empty.
First a little history. For as long as I could remember, I have only had a bowel movement about once or twice a week. I have never had a problem with constipation or having to go and not being able to, I just never needed to go. Over the last ten years or so, I started having a problem with insane diarrhea hitting either while I am eating or shortly there after, but it isn't really a specific food all the time. For example, I can eat chicken the same way 5 nights in a row and it might only do that to me 3 times out of the 5. Over the last year, I have noticed that now I am passing undigested food. The things I have noticed the most is lettuce, mushrooms, peas, tomato skins, pulp from oranges....to name a few.

I have heard it could be IBS, or Diverticulitis, or my Gall Bladder. I have never had problems with vomiting, or insane bloating....just passing the food undigested....it is a little unsettling.

I would appreciate any insight!!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
(female)

MrsManda76 HB User
Re: Undigested Food

I also need to add that bowel movements are not always immediate upon eating. Sometimes I don't have one until the next day, and still have undigested food from the day before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

There a sticky thread at the top of the Bowel Disorders board -- Information Archive.

There is a post that I wrote several years ago about Normal BMs--- page 2 post #8. It may help.

I think you are not getting enough of the right kind of Fiber in your diet. And with too much insoluble fiber -- it increases your transit time--- resulting in diarrhea.

Soluble fiber will slow down your gastro tract.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-18-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Typos

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
MrsManda76 (01-19-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
(female)

MrsManda76 HB User

Thank you, I will definitely look at that. My worry is that even if I don't have a bowel movement for another day or so, it's still undigested...

Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Your system may not be putting out enough digestive enzymes??

What I do is use digestive enzymes with every meal that I eat.
For small meals I use Digestive Aid by Solgar and larger meals -- Essential Enzymes by Source Naturals.

Last edited by Harry; 01-19-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Typos

MrsManda76 (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
(female)

MrsManda76 HB User

I will definitely try the enzymes. Will this help at all with the diarrhea?

I looked at your other posts, the ones you referred to. They helped, kind of. My problem is that most of the things I have read usually include vomiting and such, but I don't have that problem. And sometimes I don't have diarrhea, just undigested food. And it isn't everything I ate, just some things. Very odd. Thank you so much for your help!!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mrs.M,

Undigested food of the type you mentioned is not unusual. Tomato skins, green leafy veggies and orange pulp are all very difficult to digest and requries alot of chewing to breakup the fiber and adequate digestive ezyymes-- cellulase and hemicelluse. These undigested foods particules you mentioned do not contain alot of nutrients to build optimum health anyway-- and are not seen in a normal BM but with diarrhea -- they float on water and are easily seen.

After re-reading all your posts on this thread, I think you have lived a life of constipation but you did not mention your age-- I am a senior well pass 60.

You would be considered by many experts to be consitpated if you do not have a BM every 3 days. Having a BMs 4 days to a week is constipation. I have one or 2 daily.

The problem with constipation is food that is in your intestines for several days or longer produce toxins and antigens that is not healthy. It really messes up your immune system since 70 to 80% of your immunity is generated by your gastrointestinal tract.

This all translates to making you more subject to all sorts of ailments and diseases.

I think you need a good GI cleaning and then replenish your GI tract with a good spectrum probiotic Supplement.

There are many on the market. I eat yogurt and kefir twice daily along with a probiotic supplement at bedtime. I like and use Stonyfield Farm plain yogurt and plain Lifeway kefir that I buy at the local grocery store--Publix and health food store.

I also make sure I get enough protein daily with whey mixed with milk-- I like and use "Jay Robb" whey vanilla brand that I buy from my local Vitamin Shoppe.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 01-20-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Typos

MrsManda76 (01-20-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
(male)

gavin free HB User

If you have problem like that you must consult your doctor.
if you suffering with this dieases take light food never eat junk foods,
and always have walk after meal.

Last edited by gavin free; 01-22-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
(female)

MrsManda76 HB User

Harry,

Thank you for all of the wonderful information you have given me. As for my age, I am 34, soon to be 35. I have had nurses tell me that my history is odd and not good for me, I have had some say not so odd and there are a lot of people out there with this problem.

I have actually tried Activia yogurt, and it has helped as far as helping my body to have a bm every day....which was hard to get used to since I had never done that.....unfortunately it never stopped the diarrhea that comes on when I eat. I will definitely look into the enzymes, maybe that will help. I will also look into eating more soluble fiber, but as I said before....sometimes it doesn't matter what I eat.

Again, thank you so much!!
Amanda

Closed Thread