It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
(male)

Aero1515 HB User
Unhappy Stomach discomfort/full feeling

Hello All, this is my first time posting here, as I am at the end of my rope as far as figuring out what is wrong with. Here is the background:

For about a couple years now, I have had a frequent discomfort in the area just below my chest area and above my stomach. It feels like a full feeling, almost like there is a gas bubble just resting in that area (that is the best way I can describe it). No anti-gas medications do anything to deter it.

I few years ago, I was diagnosed with GERD and have been taking Prilosec or Prevacid ever since then to control the acid in my esophagus. I have tried going off those for awhile to see if that was the issue, but all that happens is that in addition to this full/uncomfortable feeling in my upper abdomen, I also had horrible heartburn.

As far as tests that I've had run I have had:

1. Upper Endoscopy (doctor said everything looked find, just mild inflamation)
2. Colonoscopy (again, no issues)
3. a test they ran to see if I am digesting my food properly (everything was fine)
4. a CAT scan to check liver, kidney, gallbladder, ect (everything was fine)

So, I'm left with this discomfort in my upper abdomen area and every test telling me I'm completely fine. The only thing I can think is that this all comes back around to my GERD and I"m just going to have to live with it. It is horrible. I'm not a glutton, but I love good food, and this feeling makes me feel full all the time and I rarely have that "hungry" feeling in my stomach... I can generally sit down and eat a meal, but more because I know I have to eat, not because I have a hungry feeling. I've even tried not eating for a day to see if maybe it was something to do with too much food in my stomach, but the discomfort remained.

The only other thing I haven't mentioned is that I have been on medication for anxiety in the past, but when I mention that to my doctor she does not seem to think that is a possible reason for what is going on.

Is there anyone who can tell me what is going on with me? I have some random days where I will feel a little bit better and even have some hungry feelings, but those days are very rare. Anyone else who has gone through this or has any idea what is going on, I would love to hear from you, because I have exhausted most of my options at this point.

Derek

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
(female)

sarahlynn78 HB User
Re: Stomach discomfort/full feeling

Hello, I have the same feeling right now, like a balloon being inflated. Have the checked to see if your gallbladder is working right? I just had an endoscope and it started after that. I'm miserable.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
(male)

BCorsair HB User
Re: Stomach discomfort/full feeling

Had almost the same problems you did; didn't have an endoscopy, as it was largely considered irrelevant given the other work I had done.

I had:

Bloodwork (tonnes - no unusual bacteria present, no parasites, no nothing)
H. Pylori breath test (to check for a particularly bad strain of stomach bacteria - my test came out negative.)
Ultrasound (full abdominal, gall bladder looked fine, everything else looked fine)
Upper GI series w/small-bowel "follow through" (swallow mildly radioactive crap and get your guts X-rayed, which shows up abnormalities)

The good news is that nothing looked wrong whatsoever; no ulcers, no parasites showed up, nothing was wrong with my blood, nothing looked out of shape at all.

Diagnosis?

"Functional Dyspepsia" - Basically the "upper gut" counter-part to IBS, if you've heard of that. The long and short is that NOTHING is technically wrong with my stomach, it's just VERY VERY VERY easy to irritate it; it tends to over-produce acid, over-spasm, and generally be... well... sensitive. It's damn annoying, and likely caused by the massive amount of stress in my life, or so the doctors have told me.

The bad news?

There's no cure. There are drugs that can help, but some people find they don't help much at all - I happen to be one of those people. The medication makes my life liveable, but that's it. I seldom get truly hungry, and if and when I do, despite at times feeling like I have quite the appetite, I end up only being able to eat a very small amount before I feel full and start burping like I'm just stuffed with air. Very... very frustrating.

If this is stress-induced (and most people with the condition are indeed over-stressed), then the only cure is to cure the stress, and to hope the condition gets better with time. I have faith that I'll get to those points eventually, but it's not happening yet.

You might want to ask your MD about this condition, if he hasn't suggested it. It's not something that is super-rare or anything like that.

Last edited by BCorsair; 02-04-2011 at 04:58 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BCorsair For This Useful Post:
Aero1515 (04-07-2011)
Closed Thread