Nissen Fundoplication - What to expect
I had a Laparascopic Nissen done on 20/01/2011.
My surgeon told me a lot of what to expect after the surgery but nobody warned me of the following effects.
1. My lungs collapsed during the operation which meant when I woke up from surgery I had extreme difficulty breathing.
2. I had to receive physio for the collapsed lungs which was the most painful procedure I can think of. Involved sucking on a pipe connected to some gadget which then blew air into my lungs. You will not believe the pain.
3. Had extreme pain in my shoulders due to the gas used during a laparascopic procedure. Lasted 3 days.
4. Once the shoulder pain stopped I had 3 nights with terrible back pain. I never had any problems with my back but was told by my surgeon this is normal.
5. Difficulty swallowing even water for about a week and now, only 2.5 weeks after surgery, the most solid thing I can eat is pasta.
I would recommend this surgery to anyone with GERD. However, be sure to take note of all that lies ahead. My reflux is gone, but at this stage I would trade one day of reflux for a steak.