It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
(female)

townshend HB User
Severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, losing 11 lbs a month??

First of all, I'm really sorry for the length of this post but I'm hoping that if anyone reads this they might have any, ANY ideas as to what has basically been destroying my life since last April. :/ More details means more accuracy and less getting asked about conditions I've already had ruled out.

Let's start with the basics:
I'm a 23-year-old female, 5'10, 185 lbs. I am not particularly active but I eat a fairly healthy diet, I have lactose intolerance and a sensitivity to meat so I mainly eat vegetables, rice, etc. Don't really eat a lot of fried or fatty foods.
I don't drink or smoke.
I take Adderall (40 mgs/daily) for ADHD-PI (ADD) and was recently diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and take Cymbalta for that.

In April 2010 I began having severe, severe abdominal pain completely out of the blue. The pain was so bad that I could not sleep or really, do much of anything else. I was throwing up (mostly bile) two to three times a day. After a million tests (blood tests, urine tests, CT scans, MRI, HIDA scans (yes, scanS), and an abdominal ultrasound, a surgeon decided that even though all tests read as NORMAL and did not necessarily suggest anything (a first HIDA scan showed cholecytitis but the second negated that finding), my symptoms were still consistent with a gallbladder problem and my gallbladder was removed after a full month of suffering with these symptoms, constantly. (Sure enough, after the gallbladder was removed and examined, choleystitis was confirmed again, the surgeon told me it "definitely needed to come out".)

For two months, the pain was gone. At the end of July, however, my abdominal pain came back with a vengeance and has persisted up to current.

Here are some other symptoms I am suffering from that may or may not be related:
+Unexplained weight loss of 33 pounds in the last three months with a DECREASE in activity level and, possibly, an increase in caloric intake, although that's debatable.
+Nausea and dizziness
+Weakness and general "tiredness" but not really feeling sleepy. It's extremely difficult for me to get to sleep (that may be the Adderall) but I'm almost always feeling tired and completely without energy
+No motivation
+Suddenly I seem to have developed a problem where if I go "too long" without eating (like I miss a meal by an hour, or so? Or I don't eat breakfast, which I never used to have to do) I get an awful headache, feel dizzy and weak (more than usual) and feel like I'm going to pass out, sometimes my vision even starts to be affected.
+Constant diarrhea, about 5-10 times a day. I have not had a solid bowel movement since April 2010. I am not kidding.
+At times it is difficult to control my bowels.
+Rectal bleeding, which I was admitted once to the hospital for in December for three days due to the severity. It's lessened now but is still happening.
+Burning diarrhea, having to go directly after eating, strangely colored stools (yellow, bright orange, green, I can't recall the last time my stools were brown)
+Seriously decreased appetite, I almost never feel hungry

I am not taking anything other than Adderall and Cymbalta and have not changed my diet at all from what it's basically been my entire life. My boyfriend eats everything that I do and does not have any of my symptoms.

My life is basically unlivable at this point. I was fired from my job for being sick too often and I had to drop out of school after being forced to medically withdraw from 2 semesters in a row. I spend almost all day in the bathroom and the pain is so awful that I can't really even describe it.

I've had test after test done. Everything just comes back as "normal". How can I be normal?! My doctor tells me I have IBS. I know so many people with IBS and they all are able to live their lives without interference like I have. I can't even go out with friends or really do anything at all. People with IBS occasionally have mild "tummy aches" whereas I am in constant, unbelievable agonizing pain - and prior to this, I was known to have a very high pain tolerance.

I have seen a ton of doctors and it seems like nobody can pinpoint the cause of my symptoms. I've had basically everything ruled out - celiac disease (gluten intolerance), Chron's disease, you name it, I've been tested for it, with at this point, basically, the exception of serious disease, a disease that normally would not happen in someone my age/gender, or anything that might be presenting abnormally. I've had a colonoscopy done but as far as I know they only looked in my colon and large intestine, and an upper endoscopy that looked at my esophagus and stomach. The colon was biopsied and was normal. Diverticulosis was found but does not seem to be the cause of my symptoms according to doctors. I don't have ulcers, either.

I don't really have a family history of GI problems as far as I know. I think someone on my mom's side has Chron's disease and my brother (four years younger) has had problems with pancreatitis but that's all (as far as I'm aware, and I think I would know by now).

I'm just at the end of my rope here. I don't know what the hell to DO anymore. What is wrong with me? What can I do to fix it? ): What test are we missing?

Also, I'm not sure if this may be normal, but I was rubbing my stomach the other day and noticed an extremely painful very hard lump about an inch or two under my ribcage. I've found another one nearby it. They're about the size of a marble. What the hell? Am I feeling my organs down there? When they're touched they hurt extremely, extremely badly. They're pretty deep down there, I was rubbing kind of hard because I was in a lot of pain and sometimes I rub at my stomach when I'm in pain (it doesn't help though, it's just a weird habit I guess).

Last edited by townshend; 02-14-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #2
(male)

unfortunatecirc HB User
Re: Severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, losing 11 lbs a month??

idk if this is late, but some of the symptoms (burning diarrhea, lack of appetite) happen to me when I take adderall (i'm not prescribed). try stopping adderall use for a month or so.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I agree, could be the drugs, look it up and see what side effects there might be.
Also were you checked for Hiatal Hernia (just a thought).
I also have Diverticulitis and I also suffer diarrhea at times. I was told to increase my fibre intake for that.
All the best. Solofelix.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
(female)

pattiredd HB User

Hi - are you still having these same problems? If so, please let me know. If not, please tell me why you think you are better. So much of what what you wrote is exactly my and my husbands symptoms (ours has been going on for 2-1/2 years). Life is hell. I'm looking for information and it sounds you have been doing. But, seeing your posting was back in April, I am curious if you have found improvement or up and died on us. Let me know?

Closed Thread