It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

donut revenge HB User
Other options for Bile Reflux?

Two questions:

I have bile reflux, I've tried Carafate for a few months and Zegrid and Prilosec to help with the 12 ulcers I have in my lower stomach.

They now put me on Actigall/Ursodiol/ursodeoxycholic acid, and I'm feeling side effects (anger, tantrums, NOT LIKE ME AT ALL) that are not on the label at all.

Are there any other options out there? I hear there is a surgery to move the duct from the liver to the stomach, and divert it to the intestine to stop the bile reflux.

Has anyone tried it? Has it helped? I don't like the ursidol and my bile reflux is severe. GI's are having problems helping me with it or answering my questions. Should I just go to a surgeon and get it done? Please help!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
(female)

neptunian808 HB Userneptunian808 HB User
Re: Other options for Bile Reflux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut revenge View Post
Two questions:

I have bile reflux, I've tried Carafate for a few months and Zegrid and Prilosec to help with the 12 ulcers I have in my lower stomach.

They now put me on Actigall/Ursodiol/ursodeoxycholic acid, and I'm feeling side effects (anger, tantrums, NOT LIKE ME AT ALL) that are not on the label at all.

Are there any other options out there? I hear there is a surgery to move the duct from the liver to the stomach, and divert it to the intestine to stop the bile reflux.

Has anyone tried it? Has it helped? I don't like the ursidol and my bile reflux is severe. GI's are having problems helping me with it or answering my questions. Should I just go to a surgeon and get it done? Please help!

i have been able to find only one person that had success with Roux en Y surgery (he/she had barrett esophagus and chronic cough and he/she says it works, i found the post on another forum) but only ONE, i havent been able to find people even trying the surgery, our reflux is not common at all, i have no idea how i got sick in the first place, i hope i can find more people who have had surgery for duodenogastric (bile) reflux

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
(female)

donut revenge HB User

I'm having the same problems! 85% of all doctors I go to say it should never, and will never be done nor condoned by any doctor. The other 15% are practically cheerleaders for the surgery, and say if Actigall doesn't work, nothing else ever will. I've also read that the surgery has a 50-90% success rate.

It's so...suspicious!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
(female)

donut have you had your gallbladder removed?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
(female)

donut revenge HB User

Yes. in 2005. Pain ever since, and it's been getting progressively worse over the past year.

I just got back from the doctor and he gave me an interesting bit of information.

There is a middle ground between Actigall and Rou-en-Y surgery. He proposed to have another endoscopy done, this time injecting Botox into my pyloric sphincter to help quell the flow of bile. Diagram of the stomach below so you get a visual of what I'm talking about. I'm getting this done on the March 2nd 2011 so I will most def post results.

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-16-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Please do not post unapproved website links- Posting Policy. (Some "Approved" websites in "Resources" tab- bottom screen)

Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
(female)

wow botox that's interesting i hope it works as a cure. i still have my gallbladder so i have no idea why this happened, i spent 22 years of my life without any problems i never had any symptoms of reflux not even gerd except for a lot of burping and from one day to the other i started spitting bile. What are your symptoms? is the actigall working at all? and what do your doctors say about surgery?

Closed Thread