It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

JS43 HB User
Endoscopy Upper GI - What to expect

My son is having an Endoscopy tomorrow for what they think is a bleeding ulcer. He is going by himself as his fiance is working. He will be taking the bus. The nurse told him it was nothing, they just put a tube down his throat and it lasts about 5 to 10 minutes and they don't put him to sleep, so he is fine to leave by himself afterward. I'm still concerned. Should I be?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Endoscopy Upper GI - What to expect

I've had it twice and was sedated both times. Both times I was a little groggy for an hour or two until the drugs wore off all the way, but after that I was 100% fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
(female)

judy84 HB Userjudy84 HB User

I've heard that some people have found the scope a little uncomfortable if they weren't sedated, but that's all.

I'm pretty certain risks and complications of this are very minimal, there are some people who have scopes all the time, I know someone who has to have one every year. I've had 2, it was over in no time, I didn't have any symptoms or discomfort afterwards and was fine.

Hope your son is feeling better soon.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
(female)

tekolynne HB User

I just had this done, the hardest part for me was drinking liquid. It took ,e three hours to drink it. Then I was busy in the bathroom for another couple of hours.
I also was given sedative, the test was a snap. I had a sore throat for two days from the scope.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
(female)

judy84 HB Userjudy84 HB User

I've never heard of people drinking a liquid for an endoscopy.I have heard they have it for a barium x ray but not for a scope...

Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Ive had three Endoscopys and NEVER ever drank anything. The only time I had to drink a strange but not unpleasant liquid and that was in a time scale of one hour and I had to drink one litre. It was for a CT scan. Solofelix.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi JShuler43, I hope all went well with your sons Endoscopy.
Let us know how he got on, Solofelix.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
(female)

tekolynne HB User

Hello it might be me hahaha. I ended up having the scope from both ends lol. Sorry for not putting that.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, if you have a LOWER GI (a colonoscopy) you do need to drink a special solution to clear out your colon first. Upper endoscopy, the only prep is fasting.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
(female)

debbyw HB User

i was also sedated..no way i could've gotten myself home for 2 hrs or so after cause of drugs. But it was a very simple procedure. I have heard of people being awake for it and only having throat numbing spray for it. If that's the case he would be fine I guess. But...I'm always an err on the side of caution person. If it were my son I'd be asking him to take someone with him just in case. (I have 2 boys)

Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
(female)

nova98 HB User

I sure as heck would not want to be awake! I've had it done 3 times (2 times in the outpatient section of a hospital, the 3rd time in a surgical section of my doctor's office suite). All 3 times I was lightly sedated (via IV). They stipulate that you cannot come in for the procedure by yourself; that you must be accompanied by a family member or friend who will drive you home.

Closed Thread