It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
(male)

mghealth HB User
When antacids don't help gastritis

Has anyone experienced gastritis that antacids have not helped alleviate? I have this upper abdominal, pressure, very mild burning sensation with bloating that seems to be consistent, although I can feel it more after eating. In the morning, there's no sensation, but I soon start to feel it as soon as I start getting active, especially after eating. Taking antacids have not helped, so I'm wondering if this is truly an acidity problem or something else. The pressure/sensation is felt directly under my sternum.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User
Re: When antacids don't help gastritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghealth View Post
Has anyone experienced gastritis that antacids have not helped alleviate? I have this upper abdominal, pressure, very mild burning sensation with bloating that seems to be consistent, although I can feel it more after eating. In the morning, there's no sensation, but I soon start to feel it as soon as I start getting active, especially after eating. Taking antacids have not helped, so I'm wondering if this is truly an acidity problem or something else. The pressure/sensation is felt directly under my sternum.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User

Yes, I have the same problem. I am now taking everyday, omeprazole 20 mg which is generic for the purple pill prilosec. It seems to work better than just antacids. You may ask the doctor for it.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

You need to take protonix. antiacids are not strong enough and will not help you. I took it for four years, and it alleviated everything. Now I take 5-6 pills of omeprazole daily. You also have to change your diet drastically. I only eat meat and veggatables, yes only this and for the rest of my life. I know this sounds overboard, but that is all I can literally eat without getting sick afterwards. I also take 2,000 miligrams of vitamin C everyday. I also don't think 20 mg of Omeprazole is enough, you will probably need 120 mg a day.

The Following User Says Thank You to *DottieGirl* For This Useful Post:
renko (03-10-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I get gastritis every time I use an antibiotic. The anti acids like Prilosec, and Prevacid don't help.

I have to use Mastic Gum(Mastica) that is OTC and it cures me in about 2 weeks. I take it on an empty stomach between meals twice daily --2 -500mg capsules. I also take a broard spectrum probiotica like PB-8.
Buying it online is alot cheaper-- I use Vitacost

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-11-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Typos

Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
(female)

TexanPancit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I get gastritis every time I use an antibiotic. The anti acids like Prilosec, and Prevacid don't help.

I have to use Mastic Gum(Mastica) that is OTC and it cures me in about 2 weeks. I take it on an empty stomach between meals twice daily --2 -500mg capsules. I also take a broard spectrum probiotica like PB-8.
Buying it online is alot cheaper-- I use Vitacost

I wish you well---Harry
Harry, I got gastritis 3 years ago, when I was on antibiotics for months. I have tried PPIs, but they didn't help. I just started taking raw apple cider vinegar and mastic gum a week ago, and it helps! However, although my stomach no longer burns and I do not get the heaviness in my chest anymore, my throat is still killing me. Do you have any suggestions on how to heal the throat? I read that the throat takes a very, very long time to heal, but it's driving me nuts! So far I have taken slippery elm, marshmallow root, and manuka honey, which soothe my throat for a couple of hours, but the pain always comes back. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I think you should not take the vinegar-- it is acidic and reflux could easily cause burning of the throat.

There are several homeopathic remedies that will help burning in the throat --Cantharis--30X potency. It is available at most health food stores.
Some others you would have to buy from a Homeopathic distributor.

I wish you well--Harry

The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
TexanPancit (04-02-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 04:04 AM   #8
(female)

tanese HB User

i have extreme pressure under hear area which i know is gas i take tums and some other anti acids prescribed by a doctor but none of them help me,they did say i have GERD but its seems as it could be something else.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

tanese,
Trapped gas can not only be painful but alarming as well.

Most trapped gas is from swallowing(80%) but some is caused by by poor digestion produced by unfriendly bacteria.
This can be helped by re- balancing the friendly bacteria with a probiotic supplement like PB-8 ,eating a good brand of yogurt like Stonyfield Farm that is organic and contains 4 extra strains of good friendly bacteria, and Kefir that has alot of friendly bacteria.

Also, a good homeopathic remedy for gas is Carbo veg --30x potency. and of course Gas X.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-15-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Closed Thread