It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User
Can a stomach ulcer cause rectal bleeding?

Hi everyone. Approximately two weeks ago I noticed a tiny amount of blood mixed in with my stool. I did not worry too much about it as it did not occur again. However, this past Thursday I began to have a lot more bleeding from my rectum. A neurologist back in December told me that I have a stomach ulcer. He told me this after pressing on my stomach and asking me some questions. Last May I had an upper endoscopy done and a polyp was found in my distal esophagus. At the time, I was diagnosed with a worsening in my acid reflux disease. The polyp was removed a biopsy was done. It came back as benign. Anyway, I told my doctor about the rectal bleeding and she wants a stool sample. She also wants me to have a colonoscopy done. I am really worried about this. The bleeding has been almost continuous since Thursday. I have also been extremely tired lately. What could be causing this bleeding?

Does the fact that I had a polyp in my esophagus increase my risk for colon polyps?

Anyway, I am a 28 year old female and have never had rectal bleeding like this in the past. I have had a tiny bit of bleeding from my rectum before but that was determined to be from hemorrhoids. Also, is it possible that I have developed an ulcer which is causing me to have rectal bleeding?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
(female)

marys1358 HB User
Re: Can a stomach ulcer cause rectal bleeding?

I sure hope someone can explain also because I have been bleeding for 3 days from my rectum like its water running that fast.Can you have an ulcer and bleed that fast?I'm not sure what to do either.
wwwgirl if you find out anything please let me know also GOOD LUCK.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Yes an ulcer can cause rectal bleeding. No matter what the cause is..it should be looked at by a GI Dr. to make sure nothing else is going on. Slight bleeding from hemorrhoids or fissures are different then bright red flowing blood. Get it checked.

Good luck...JJ...

Old 04-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

I think I read that blood from a stomach ulcer would be black; it would make your stool look like coffee grounds.
That could be wrong, though.
I'm pretty sure blood couldn't go through your entire digestive tract and remain red. I've read that red blood is usually from your rectum or very low in your digestive tract; if it's from higher up, it'll look black.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
(female)

gijam HB User

First of all anytime you have rectal bleeding it need to be followed up with by a GI Doctor. Blood from the stomach would turn your stool to black tarry or maybe sticky. Severe cases of bleeding from the stomach can cause bright red bleeding but you would certanly be aware of that, these are usually Intensive care patients. Most of the time bright red blood is from the end of your colon or rectum, usually hemorrhoids or a fissure (tear), or maybe even a polyp. You also can have bleeding in your stool with Ulcerative Colitis or Crohns disease these are autoimmune diseases.

Are you seeing blood in the water, on the tissue, or mixed in the bowel movement itself?

Stomach polyps and colon polyps usually are not related. You can not tell if you have and ulcer by pressing on the stomach and asking questions. The only way would be to have an EGD or endoscopy, which you said you had and showed signs of reflux. Do you take any medication to decrease the acid in your stomach like nexxium, prilosec....etc?

Sounds like your Doctor is recommending the right thing, stool sample and colonoscopy. Please get this checked out by a colonoscopy the prep is the worst part. you will get the same sedation if not more as you did for your endoscopy.

Good Luck

Last edited by moderator2; 04-20-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Closed Thread