It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
(male)

Sludwig8 HB User
Food Getting Stuck in Throat

Hello,

I've had a problem for about 3 years now, but it's progressively gotten worse. During eating, I'd occasionally get the problem of food getting stuck in my throat. It'd usually be the first bite of a meal, and I would be able to wash it down with a drink and continue. However, this issue has occurred more and more over the last 6 months. It use to only happen maybe once or twice every six months or so when I first noticed it. Now, I have it atleast every other day. Also, sometimes there are cases when the food will not wash down with water, and the only solution is to stick my finger down my throat and throw it up. After that, I sometimes have the feeling of really bad heartburn.

Please note:

Ever since I was a little boy, i have always been very nervous. About 3 years ago, shortly before this problem occurred, I started to frequently throw up in the mornings everyday before big days or tests for school. I wouldn't actually throw up anything since it was in the morning and my stomach was empty. The feeling of gagging would be the only thing that would make me feel better. For the past 2 years now I've been able to control my anxiety better and I do not do it as frequently. However, I do still do it every now and then. Maybe once a month or so. Anyways, I thought this bit of info would be informative.

Has anyone had any idea what this 'food being stuck' problem is, or how to improve the situation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
(female)

lobolee HB Userlobolee HB Userlobolee HB User
Re: Food Getting Stuck in Throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludwig8 View Post
Hello,

I've had a problem for about 3 years now, but it's progressively gotten worse. During eating, I'd occasionally get the problem of food getting stuck in my throat. It'd usually be the first bite of a meal, and I would be able to wash it down with a drink and continue. However, this issue has occurred more and more over the last 6 months. It use to only happen maybe once or twice every six months or so when I first noticed it. Now, I have it atleast every other day. Also, sometimes there are cases when the food will not wash down with water, and the only solution is to stick my finger down my throat and throw it up. After that, I sometimes have the feeling of really bad heartburn.

Please note:

Ever since I was a little boy, i have always been very nervous. About 3 years ago, shortly before this problem occurred, I started to frequently throw up in the mornings everyday before big days or tests for school. I wouldn't actually throw up anything since it was in the morning and my stomach was empty. The feeling of gagging would be the only thing that would make me feel better. For the past 2 years now I've been able to control my anxiety better and I do not do it as frequently. However, I do still do it every now and then. Maybe once a month or so. Anyways, I thought this bit of info would be informative.

Has anyone had any idea what this 'food being stuck' problem is, or how to improve the situation?
Hi Sludwig, I have experienced this kind of problem twice in my life. The first time turned out to be a thyroid goiter that was not noticable from the outside but was pressing on my esophogus causing choking and trouble getting food down. So with treatment that problem was taken care of. So ask your doctor to check your thryroid. The other time was when I was having very strong esphogeal spasms, probably a symptom of systemic lupus which I had been diagnosed. That was pretty much taken care of by medication to relax my esphogus. It still happens every so often now. So for what it's worth that is my own problems with swallowing. Hope you find your answer but you must see a doctor soon if you have not yet done so.
Take care and keep posting so we know how you are doing. lobolee

Closed Thread