It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
(female)

Leila09 HB User
Nausea after eating, no other symptoms

A week and a half ago, I began to feel nauseous almost every time I ate. I seem to be exhibiting no other symptoms, and I've thrown up four times because of it. Most of the time, the nausea goes away after awhile, though sometimes it is more severe and lasts a couple hours.

In middle/high school, I thought I had a weak stomach because sometimes after or during eating out at a restaurant, I would vomit or become nauseous. Oddly, this rarely happened when I was at home. I attributed it to the rich food making my stomach upset. I am now 22 years old, and the problem seemed to have gone away. The only time I would vomit is if I drank too much. I am by no means a heavy drinker, but a few weeks ago, I noticed that even one cocktail would start making me feel queasy, but I attributed it to dehydration or tiredness (still unsure if this is related).

The constant nausea began two Thursdays ago, when I suddenly felt sick after a work potluck and vomited up my food. I ate pizza later with no problem, but got terribly sick after eating tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner. The next day, my family and I left overnight for vacation, and after ten hours in the car (I was carsick often as a child), I vomited the breakfast sandwich I ate and was nauseous for hours. The rest of the week with my family, I would feel nauseous at least once a day after a meal - sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner. There was no consistent food that seems to have upset me. I would have to stop eating when I felt the nausea coming on, and once I stopped eating, I would feel full and lose all appetite. The nausea also made me dizzy and weak. Sometimes I even felt feverish. This has continued even after coming home from vacation.

I do not have diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms that I can tell. I've been on the same medication for allergies (Singulair, Zyrtec, and Nasonex) for several years. I have low blood pressure, which causes me to feel faint if I don't drink enough fluids or have enough sodium in my diet. As well, I have vasovagal syncope, and unfortunately, my trigger is vomiting. So, the constant nausea puts me almost in a panic every time it happens because of my vasovagal response. I considered pregnancy, but I had my period the week before the initial Thursday I got sick, and I am on birth control. My boyfriend and I had sex a day or two before I vomited, but I do not think morning sickness starts the day after conception (could be wrong here?).

My current thoughts on my condition are this:

-anxiety (I only felt anxious once this started; the summer has not been stressful)
-acid reflux (my boyfriend thinks it might be this and suggested Tums or something similar)
-gastroparesis or other stomach emptying condition (this is wild, but my mother has it, and I am unsure if there is a genetic component to the disorder)
-some food allergy that suddenly developed (gluten sensitivity?)
-???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: today after eating, I got nauseous after lunch, but after dinner, I had diarrhea. Not liquid, but...loose. I was able to eat all my dinner at one time, though, and only felt mildly nauseous after.

Last edited by Leila09; 07-19-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread