It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

Aryana70 HB User
Question Does Gasteroparasis cause upper stomach burning and pressure

I have been having digestive problems for the past 4 years. Finally after few GI docts, ENT, etc, they diagnosed me with acid reflux due to the lower sphicter being loose.
I had a Nissen Fundoplication in April 2010, Everything was fine until November that I got a bad case of Gastritis, bloating, stomach burning (due to food poisoning), since then the stomach burning hasn't stopped.
It is strange since when I wake up in the morning the pain is not that bad sometimes not even there, and as the day passes I feel this strange soreness in my stomach which is more noticable when I bend over, this is in upper stomach below the breast bone, but it even radiates to the sides.
On top of that I get this strange pressure feeling in the upper stomach, on top of it bloating and recently shortness of breath.
Nexium helps to an extent I think, I am on nexium and domperidone, and have noticed domperidone helps as well, but not completely.
I have since had 2 endoscopies, MRI of an upper stomach, hida scan, ultrasound and they have found nothing.
Next step in testing for stomach motility, my question is that does gasteroparasis cause theses symptoms? The strange thing is that when I read about the sypmtoms of slow stomach emptyig it mentions vomiting and nausea as the main reasons, but I don't really get nausea, and don't have the urge to vomit, mind you it is not that possible with the nissen fundo either. I haven't lost weigt, and I do get a lot of stomach noises, and do get hungry as well
I am scared of the unknown, and in a sad way I am hoping it is Gasterosparasis and nothing worst.
Appreciate your comments on this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Does Gasteroparasis cause upper stomach burning and pressure

Aryana,

It sounds like your Fundo surgery is now not working like it's suppose to. It sounds like when had the food poisoning -- the bloating injured your diaphragm that separates the somach cavity from the lung area---the both side soreneness/pain is an indication and the diaphragm heals slowly with alot of care-- deep breathing helps but take it easy and give it time to heal.
--- avoid bending over because it does put pressure in that area particularly after eating. That is why resting at night does not irritate it and you feel better and sometimes with no pain.

I suggest that you increase magnesium intake --it is present in every cell of your body and lacking it caused spasms --it just will help mending.

Your symptoms seem to suggest a hiatal hernia.

Burning indicates stomach acid is getting into your esophagus where the Fundo is suppose to protect-- that is the area that is sensitive to acid--the stomach already has it.

I also think Protonics would be a better PPI than Nexium.

You certainly don't want it to be Gastroparasis --- you want food to move out of your stomach - normally which is 90 minutes to 2 hours--- not stay there for hours.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-20-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Hi Harry,
Thanks for the reply.I had a Ph- merry test done before the food poisoning and everything was fine. The Endoscopy after food poisoning showed that the wrap is intact.
The burning I get is in the upper stomach region. I was just wondering that could you get upper stomach burning with gastropsrasis? This is what they want to test me for?!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Burning in the upper stomach is very unusual because the stomach is where the acid is already and taking a PPI reduces the acid level some but certainly not all.

The endoscope tests you had should have detected where the burning is and I think something has shifted and the Fundo is no longer helping the lower end of your esophagus.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 07-21-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I often get the sensation of Pressure in my upper stomach area. I never describe mine as burning, it almost feels like a heavy hand pressing down hard in that area. I can also get similar between my bellybutton and just below my ribs.
I was diagnosed with AR/GERD after H.Pylori treatment and a Hiatal Hernia.
I think a number of stomach issues present similar symptoms.
I found DOMPERIDONE helpful for Nausea. I find my Bloating /Gas and noisy stomach are better if I keep to a healthy diet.
Letely I have slipped up healthwise and am paying the price now. Solofelix.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Aryana: Burning in the upper stomach is common with gastritis. It's caused not by the presence of acid but by some sort of problem that weakens the stomach's natural defenses against acid.

You and I have a lot in common, I think. I've been diagnosed with "gastritis for no clear reason" for several years now. Endoscopy only found that the lining of my stomach is irritated or damaged slightly. I have mild reflux symptoms, but my biggest problem is just the burning stomach! I just finished up my esophageal pH-metry, and it confirmed, although I do have some reflux, that burning pain has nothing to do with reflux, it's just the stomach issue. I finally had a gastric emptying study a couple of weeks ago, and it revealed that I do have gastroparesis, although it's not extreme. I don't vomit, I'm not usually nauseous, I just get the burning, and I'm usually only able to eat small to moderate sized meals.

The burning gets worse if I eat anything spicy or acidic, such as vinegar or fruit. Foods high in fat are also bad, and when I'm having a flare-up, I avoid almost all fats, plus high-fiber foods such as whole grains or raw veggies. However, the pain can also come if my stomach is empty, so I try to eat frequent small meals of soothing food, like white bread, skim milk, fat-free yogurt, or a low-fiber cereal such as Rice Chex. I've tried several PPIs and acid blocking drugs. Prilosec helps, but it tends to lose its effectiveness after a few weeks. Reglan helped like crazy, but I couldn't tolerate the side effects. I want to try Domperidone, see what happens. My doctor said he would get it for me once the testing was over with.

Weirdly enough, I also find that many many drugs make it worse, including things like Tylenol or antihistamines. Do you ever find that?

Good luck with the gastric emptying study. It wasn't at all unpleasant, it just took a long time. I ate the radio-tagged eggs, then I was scanned every 15 minutes for 2 hours. Bring plenty of patience and reading material! I'm kind of a geek, especially when it comes to medical technology, so I found the whole process fascinating.

Keep in touch!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
(female)

Aryana70 HB User

Hi Janewhite1,
Wow finally someone witn Gastroparesis who has stomach burning. I know it sounds crazy to be happy to think that I have this disease, but to be honest I am so scared that something more sinister is wrong with me, that I am happy to accept this diagnosis.
I have been having really rough time over the past few days. They told me on Monday that someone will be calling me with regards to stomach emptying test, and I most probably need to be off domperidone, so I came off it on Monday and I can certainly feel the difference, get badly bloated after meals like a 6 months pregnant woman, have this heavy feeling in the stomach, and shortness of breath.
But when I checked on the net couldn't really see stomach soreness or burning as a symptom of Gastroparesis. I am sorry that you suffer from this too, not pleasant at all. Do you feel that at times your stomach is tender to touch?do you also get stabbing pains?
But I don't get nausea or vommiting, strangely I have been getting hunger pains, which get really bad specially if I come off nexium, I also get these stomach rumbling noises, do you?
I keep thinking if its is gastroparesis then why do I get hunger pains, when I get like this, I have to eat. I try not too eat too much anyways because I am concious of weight gain.
I haven't had a call with regards to my test yet!they wre supposed to call me, so I went back on domperidone tonight, thinking they are not likely to ask me in before next week now.
did you have to be off your acid medication for the test?
They told me they will be doing the breath test on me, apparently another form of gastric emptying test where you eat something and then blow into a tube. I hope this is as effective as the one you had. I will double check this with them, since I want them to do te most accurate test.
Sorry about so many questions, and sorry that you are suffering too.

The following user gives a hug of support to Aryana70:
janewhite1 (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, my stomach area is sensitive to touch. I used to like tight clothing, those wide belts, pretty corsets, but I can't wear any of those any more. I did not have to quit Prilosec for my gastric emptying study, but I couldn't take any motility aids such as Domperidone.

Stomach burning isn't a "normal" part of gastroparesis, but my current GI, who's sort of an expert in this area, says that the slow stomach movements cause food and gastric juices to sit there for too long, which causes gastritis, that is, inflammation and irritation of the stomach lining.

I suggest you call them tomorrow, if they don't call you.

Last edited by janewhite1; 07-21-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added

Closed Thread