It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

gbear76 HB User
Lump in stomach

Hi, I had a gastroscopy & colonoscopy last week. While in recovery the doctor came round and told me she found a 'fatty lump' in my stomach. I was handed my discharge letter which said biopsies taken to check the lump for GIST/lipoma. I have also had biopsies taken for coeliac. I am 34, had IBS for as long as I can remember, autoimmune thyroiditis, lactose intolerance and fibromyalgia. I also had electrophoresis blood tests done earlier in the year which twice has come back showing excess antibodies. My doctor could not explain it. The lab report says could be due to chronic infection, malignancies, immune complex disease.
Because of this I'm worried (possibly unecessarily) about this lump. I don't get the results until 8th August. How common is it to have this? And if it is benign do they do anything about it? Can anyone please help?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

jacq42 HB Userjacq42 HB User
Re: Lump in stomach

Hi I've a very similar story to yours apart from my lump I'm ny tummy was found by my own doctor during an examination,I to have recently had an endoscopy with clear results of celiac disease,however they took a biopsy of my small bowel and I don't know the result of that yet,however I to got discharged but need investigations regarding trouble swallowing food.
I have been given an urgent referral for an abdominal and pelvic scan this week for this lump,but I've had irritable bowel problems forever but also a benign tumour (hydatitiform pregnancy) back in 1996,which had to be removed.
I'm 33 also a fibromyalgia,ME sufferer and have a history of thyroid problems and operations,this I find to be quite common with other members on the forum and friends of mine.
I know you must be worried,I won't pretend I was and still am anxious,but remember benign is a good.
I hope I've helped you even a little,please let me know how you get on and I will also let you know what my outcome is,keep your chin up and take each day as it comes
Take care
Jacq

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
(female)

gbear76 HB User

Hi Jacq,
Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear you too are going through similar. It sucks doesn't it? The worst part is the waiting, I've had no end of different tests in the last year or so and it doesn't get any easier. I have a lot of symptoms that were initially thought to be down to my thyroid but have been on medication for a year and still no change hence all the tests. My IBS was just sort of assumed, I never had any tests to rule out anything else all those years ago (I am from the UK now living in Australia) but my doctor here is just really good at getting things checked out. You can't help but be anxious about the unknown, with this lump they found in my stomach it was not something I expected. Just thought they were gonna have a little look, take biopsies for coeliac and send me on my way.

Anyway, please do keep me updated on your outcome and I will do same. It does help to talk to someone who is kind of in the same boat. When do you expect to get your results? I hope it all comes back ok.
Take care
Gbear

Old 08-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

gbear76 HB User

An update now as i got results back. First, Jacq how did you go? Did you get your results yet? Hope everything was ok.
I went yesterday, all biopsies came back clear, no problems anywhere except for this lump thing. They don't know what it is!!!! *** So I am now having a ct scan done to see if it is pushing through from outside of my stomach. It is very bizaare but the good news is no malignancy found anywhere. It is slightly frustrating after waiting weeks to find out what this is only to get a 'we don't know'. I am still getting the usual IBS symptoms so have to be off all lactose for 4 weeks to see if it improves (plus a stool sample - eeuww) So more waiting, should be used to it by now

Has anyone else had an unknown lump like this? And if so what was the outcome? I got a photo of it, seems to be in the shape of a whirlpool not just a rounded lump. The GI doc is taking a pic with her to her next GI meeting to see if anyone else knows what it is!!

Any thoughts?
gbear

The following user gives a hug of support to gbear76:
jacq42 (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear76 View Post
An update now as i got results back. First, Jacq how did you go? Did you get your results yet? Hope everything was ok.
I went yesterday, all biopsies came back clear, no problems anywhere except for this lump thing. They don't know what it is!!!! *** So I am now having a ct scan done to see if it is pushing through from outside of my stomach. It is very bizaare but the good news is no malignancy found anywhere. It is slightly frustrating after waiting weeks to find out what this is only to get a 'we don't know'. I am still getting the usual IBS symptoms so have to be off all lactose for 4 weeks to see if it improves (plus a stool sample - eeuww) So more waiting, should be used to it by now

Has anyone else had an unknown lump like this? And if so what was the outcome? I got a photo of it, seems to be in the shape of a whirlpool not just a rounded lump. The GI doc is taking a pic with her to her next GI meeting to see if anyone else knows what it is!!

Any thoughts?
gbear
Hi gbear I'm so pleased that you have no bad news to report,although I do also share the frustration of what the LUMP is?
I had the scans and they told me they could see the lump and they would forward the results to my doctor. So I've spoken to the dr and he said its nothing to worry about but still did not tell me what it was,I was then sent for a barium meal where you basically drink chalky water and they scan you,I'm now waiting for those results,its so frustrating.
Gbear I'm pleased you are having a CT scan as its much more thorough,one of the best ways to see anything in the body.
Please keep me updated and I will also
Take care
Jacq

Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
(female)

gbear76 HB User
Re: Lump in stomach - update

An update on my lump(s)

First...Hi Jacq..been about a month now how did you go with your results? Hope everything is ok and you have some answers. Please let me know.

As for me well I am waiting again. Had the results from my ct scan, the lump is not coming from outside of my stomach so is probably something I was born with apparently! I also have a little 'extra' liver and 'extra' spleen or 'splenunculus'. My GI doc has told me I am weird! So it's official LOL They did find something on my liver though, either a cyst or a blood blister. Now need to have an ultrasound to determine what it is. She also wants me to have some blood tests. So again another 4 weeks of waiting! Urgh.

I seem to be an anomaly, all these lumps and extra bits none of which seem to be harming me. At least that is a good thing, will have to ask my mum what drugs she was taking when she was pregnant with me LOL!!!!!
Still have the IBS, fatigue and pains which are seriously flaring right now. I am exhausted. I am to see a dietician to help with the lactose intolerance as well as figure out what else causes my bad tummy. I have been given mebeverine to take and told to go back on endep for the fibromyalgia (neither of which helped the first time round but I'll try again).

So that's where I'm at. Please let me know how you are doing Jacq, and if anyone else has any input or is going thru similar please feel free to post a reply.
Gbear

Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
(female)

Re: Lump in stomach - update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear76 View Post
An update on my lump(s)

First...Hi Jacq..been about a month now how did you go with your results? Hope everything is ok and you have some answers. Please let me know.

As for me well I am waiting again. Had the results from my ct scan, the lump is not coming from outside of my stomach so is probably something I was born with apparently! I also have a little 'extra' liver and 'extra' spleen or 'splenunculus'. My GI doc has told me I am weird! So it's official LOL They did find something on my liver though, either a cyst or a blood blister. Now need to have an ultrasound to determine what it is. She also wants me to have some blood tests. So again another 4 weeks of waiting! Urgh.

I seem to be an anomaly, all these lumps and extra bits none of which seem to be harming me. At least that is a good thing, will have to ask my mum what drugs she was taking when she was pregnant with me LOL!!!!!
Still have the IBS, fatigue and pains which are seriously flaring right now. I am exhausted. I am to see a dietician to help with the lactose intolerance as well as figure out what else causes my bad tummy. I have been given mebeverine to take and told to go back on endep for the fibromyalgia (neither of which helped the first time round but I'll try again).

So that's where I'm at. Please let me know how you are doing Jacq, and if anyone else has any input or is going thru similar please feel free to post a reply.
Gbear
Hi GBear I'm pleased your finally getting some answers,I know what you mean by the flare ups I'm the same at the moment.
Well I have a lump in the colon,a fibroid on the cervix and calcium deposits in the gallbladder so know the wonder we both thought our bodies were not right.
I have to have some cross sectional xrays whatever they are and a referral to the dietitian as I've also got dysphagia also.
So that's where I'm at thank you for letting me know and I will keep you posted
Take care
Jacq

Closed Thread