It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

cry baby HB Usercry baby HB User
Thumbs up colonoscopy and upper endoscopy at the same time

Hi, this is my first post. I wanted to share my experience in the hope that it helps people who are going to have a combined endoscopy (oesophogus/stomach and duodenum) and a colonoscopy carried out at the same time.

I have just had this investigation done today, and although I am based in the UK I thought it would be helpful to share as leading up to these investigations I was absolutely terrified.

First of all I am a real big baby (hence the username!) when it comes to any sort of medical or dental procedures. Even for small dental fillings I have 30mg of temazepam before hand. So imagine my horror when a month ago I was diagnosed with iron defficiency anaemia and my family doctor insisted I had the endoscopy and colonoscopy done. For the past 4 weeks I have worried constantly, spent hours googling and basically worried myself into near insanity. Yesterday i had to carry out the bowel prep which was 10 senokot tablets followed by 2 sachets of a powder to mix with hot water. As I'd only eaten white toasted bread for 2 days prior the effects of the 'purge' weren't too bad! After about an hour of the first drink I had some severe stomach cramps for 10 minutes but from then on I had no pain; just rather tiring, urgent, regular visits to the bathroom. I used baby wet wipes and nappy cream so didn't have any soreness as a result.

This morning arrived, D-Day, and my partner drove me to the hospital. I cried most of the way; I cried when I registered at the reception of the Endoscopy Suite; I cried when the nurse took my details and checked my BP etc; I cried when I got changed into the hospital gown (fastens down the back for easy access . The nurse put in an intravenous canula for the sedative. The doctor came out to get me to show me to the procedure room and I cried again. He made me laugh eventually when I had trouble signing the consent form because my hands shook so much (Id' left that until the last minute). I was given a throat spray (tastes like Vodka mixed with banana!) which makes your throat numb; then I was given a mouth guard to protect my teeth which ties behind the back of the head to keep it in place. The Dr started putting in the IV sedative and I said to him 'It's not working'... he replied 'Oh yes it is'... the next thing I was aware of coming to and they were doing the colonoscopy (they'd already done the upper endoscopy of which I'd had absolute no awareness at all). The colonoscopy woke me up because it was uncomfortable and I was vaguely aware but amazingly unconcerned by feeling some pain but was more intrigued by the tv screen displaying the inside of my bowel and the flashing fireworks in there which turned out to be them taking photos of my bowel! This was about a 30 second duration and I can only assume they put in more sedative because the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery feeling quite happy, relaxed and somewhat euphoric! It was over and I'd had no proper awareness aprt from that brief few seconds which was really very vague and didn't bother me at all.

If you've got this far without being bored; the reason for me telling this experience is that I'm sure there will be people reading these boards on the verge of going for this sort of investigation and experiencing the similar fears I had. Please please don't be affraid. I was told I was having a mild sedative and was upset that it wasn't going to be deep sedation; but the 'mild' turned into something that was akin to a general anaesthetic and if I'd known before hand that was the case I wouldn't have gone through several sleepless nights! Believe me scared reader (if that's what you are) if I can go through this and be typing about it 6 hours later then rest assured so can you.

I had all together about 10mg of midazolam (think it's called Versed in the US) and some Fentanyl which I think was the maximum they can give you. they took biopsies to rule out coeliac (spelled wrong probably) but found nothing to worry about during the investigation; which was also a huge huge relief.

Bye for now
xx

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cry baby For This Useful Post:
heyyou1263 (01-04-2012), passthecrablegs (04-26-2012), StrifeI (05-06-2012), tlc4me1972 (07-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread