It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

Heather1973 HB User
Throat discomfort after Endoscopy - normal?

Hi,

I had an endoscopy earlier about 14 hours ago but my throat is feeling very painful, not sore - feels like I've been kicked in the throat. Is this normal following an endoscopy?

I know that I gagged an awful lot and was fairly sick during the procedure and it has been noted that the 'procedure was difficult' - and I expected a sore throat - but not this level of discomfort.

The reason for the endoscopy was for abdominal pain and I have a sensation of a lump in my throat - I've lost 1 stone and 9lb over the past 7-8 weeks as I feel bloated all of the time and have lost my appetite/feeling nauseus.

During my discharge I was told that they had sent a sample of my small intestine for analysis as they think I may have a possible infection - but no explanation for this feeling in my throat - which I have to admit no longer just feels uncomfortable but I think due to the endoscopy now quite painful.

Is this normal, it's 00.45hrs so I'm reluctant to contact my GP out of hours as I would feel very embarrassed if is just all part and parcel of having an endoscope. Incidently the back of my throat looks awful, with purplish sore patches and my tonsils look kinda yuk to, but the pain I am experiencing is lower down a the base of my neck, where I had the original feeling of a lump being there.

Hope this makes sense? It's been a long day and I'm exhausted, but unable to sleep due to the discomfort.

Many Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: Throat discomfort after Endoscopy - normal?

I know that I did experience discomfort for about a day after the procedure.

Were you sedated or awake during the procedure?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
(female)

Heather1973 HB User
Re: Throat discomfort after Endoscopy - normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileb View Post
I know that I did experience discomfort for about a day after the procedure.

Were you sedated or awake during the procedure?
Hi,

I was Sedated - although I remember the tube going down and the experience of the procedure towards the end! Everything seemed to settle down afterwards, but it took a few days. I think it was probably where I was 'reaching' so much to be honest. I did see on the notes that they commented 'difficult procedure', so probably I was just a difficult patient! lol

Just waiting for results now

Not a pleasant experience and I know a lot of people have had this procedure and all has been well throughout, so I hope my own experience doesn't put anyone off - it is the best way for them to check all is well!!

Closed Thread