It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

alina30 HB Useralina30 HB User
Pain under left ribcage?

Hi, I have been having this weird pain under my left ribcage for a bout a year. I THINK it is because I upset my digestion when I made a smoothie with a lot of uncooked rolled oats. After I drank it I had the worst pain ever under my rib on that side. It lasted 3-4 days and I could hardly move or even breathe without this horrible sharp pain like someone was stabbing me in the rib! It went away and for a while I didn't feel anything but slowly it has crept back to where it is pretty constant, not as bad a pain just always there. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or drink it's just there. Could it be my spleen, or gallbladder? It isn't getting any worse the last few months. I don't have insurance which is why I havent been to see a dr YET, and when I have looked up any info I always hear the doctors can't figure it out-say it's just gerd or heartburn and things. Anyone have these symptoms before? Thanks, just want an idea of what might be going on??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Pain under left ribcage?

That's where your actual stomach is. It's probably gastritis. If Tums helps, it's almost definitely a problem with the stomach.

It may be Tums alone will be enough. It can also help to eat bland foods, and avoid things that are high in fat, acidic or fried. If Tums does not provide enough relief, stronger medications are available, either over the counter or by prescription.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Do you have any other symptoms like change in Bowels,Nausea,Gas.
If so then its possible you could have Diverticulitis. I was diagnosed with this after constant dull pain and the other symptoms. The pain was in the same position as you describe.
If OTC medication doesn't help you should see your Dr for a diagnoses.
Good Luck, Solofelix.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
(female)

Thanks, I don't seem to have any other symptoms. I did take a gasx pill yesterday and it seemed to lessen...so guess I am going to try that or some meds like it and see if they help any. I have never had stomach issues always can eat anything without a problem, until I did this. Sure I hurt my digestive tract somehow from that smoothie.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
(female)

Update, my doctor prescribed prilosec to see if it makes a difference. Sounds like she is thinking it may be an ulcur (?) If no difference, then she wants to check further...

Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
(female)

mamasnug HB Usermamasnug HB User

Jeez, I just answered someone with the same problems. I have the same problems as you do. I have no answers yet. It did happen before and I was told that it was an infection in the intestines. I took antibiotics and something to stop the spasms. I've had it on-and-off for three or four years, this latest round is lasting and painful. I have upper GI schedule, and a colonscopy. But, my doctor said there is really nothing over there except the stomach and colon. He said gas can get trapped in the intestines - Splenic flexure syndrome -- can cause the pain. But, he did not want to guess, he said he would much rather look. Since I have insurance, I am able to do that. I will let you know what they discover. It's very painful. I do recall that once I got meds for intestinal spasms, I was a lot better off. This time around I took them and they did not do much. There are a number of things this could be, even pain that radiates from the gallbladder, but it's nothing life or death, so I was told. If it gets worse, take yourself the ER and let them check you out, at least you will have some answers. If you can afford to get insurance, you can buy it, get it and go to the doctor to check this out. It might something as simple as what I went through, something easily cleared by antibiotics and that spasm meds!

Closed Thread