It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Question I have hiccups - one at a time, several times a day. Help!

I don't know if this is normal or not, but I usually have one hiccup at a time, several times a day. It seems to happen randomly, but I noticed several times in the past couple of days that it can occur after eating.

I have a variety of medical issues, including GERD and IBS. I suffer from anxiety and depression, as well as OCD. In Nov. '09 I had emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia and small bowel obstruction. The hernia repair failed, but the other part (bowel resection) worked ok.

I remember having hiccups after surgery while I was still in the hospital, and when I told my surgeon, he seemed concerned, but nothing came of it. If memory serves, they eventually subsided. I never was told why he was concerned about it.

What he said has stuck in my mind, even though it's been nearly two years since my operation. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have an underactive thyroid too, and a long time ago a g.i. doc told me I also had a hiatal hernia, but another g.i. doc told me several years later that he couldn't find it.

An incorrect diagnosis, perhaps?

Anyway, is this something I should be concerned about??? Please advise. Tx!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User
Re: I have hiccups - one at a time, several times a day. Help!

Hi, I was hoping to find out the same thing, as I have this hiccuping going on during day as well. Just the one at a time, but all during the day, after eating or not, still happens with a nearly empty stomach.

I did test pos. for H. Pylori 2 years ago, took the meds for that & only lasted 8 days on it, because I developed a bad case of thrush from it could hardly eat or swallow. I take Prilosec daily.

Wondering if it could be a hiatal hernia?

The following user gives a hug of support to Isis498:
dianajune (09-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Isis498 For This Useful Post:
dianajune (09-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Re: I have hiccups - one at a time, several times a day. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis498 View Post
Hi, I was hoping to find out the same thing, as I have this hiccuping going on during day as well. Just the one at a time, but all during the day, after eating or not, still happens with a nearly empty stomach.

I did test pos. for H. Pylori 2 years ago, took the meds for that & only lasted 8 days on it, because I developed a bad case of thrush from it could hardly eat or swallow. I take Prilosec daily.

Wondering if it could be a hiatal hernia?
I hope you will find relief. It sounds like your case of hiccups is worse than mine. I haven't had a test for H Pylori, but I developed what appeared to be thrush about a day after my post. I had a white tongue but it no longer looks like that.

The day after my post I had stomach pains that were so severe I thought I had another intestinal blockage. I went to the ER and mentioned the issue with hiccups and was told it's just gas. The stomach pains were caused by gas as well. No obstruction!

I was put on a bland diet and didn't eat much for a few days. I had to drink more water. The white tongue was probably a sign of dehydration. It's happened to me before.

I used to be on Prilosec but stopped as the expense was getting to me, and I think it interacts with another med I'm on anyway.

Re. a hiatal hernia - I was diagnosed with that many years ago, but subsequent upper G.I. tests didn't find one. Either the doctor who gave me that diagnosis was wrong, or the other tests didn't catch it. I have GERD too. Maybe that contributes to hiccups?

Closed Thread