It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

psalmon HB User
H.pylori treatment

Hi all... I have been dx'd with H.pylori and I have some questions. I was dx'd via blood and I was very high. Symptoms were pain, bloating, gas, very uncomfortable stomach, couldn't eat much , etc. I am taking the quadruple therapy which is (tetracycline 500mg 4x daily, Flagyl 500mg 3x daily, Pepto 2 tabs 4x daily, Protonix 40mg 2x daily) I have to stay on this for 14 days. By day 5 I was really starting to suffer. My acid reflux had kicked into high gear, it wasn't that bad BEFORE the drugs, now its far worse and I am assuming its due to the meds. It appears I also have ulcers from the h.pylori and they are painful too.

I have been very careful with my diet and I am eating nothing that could trigger more acid. I did eat some Broccolli sprouts yesterday and I about died from the acid and pain. I may as well have poured battery acid in my stomach, **** !!!!!! so back to soup and rice crackers and water and chamomille tea. Does anyone have any ideas of what foods are the safe to eat with this disorder.

I have a very good appetite, I am hungry. I'm not really nausea and no vomiting at all. I also bought some high quality probiotics and I have started them at night (consists of 3 pills)

I have HEARD the treatment for this is far worse then the cause. Is this true ? Today is now day 9 of my treatment.... and I just really need some encouragement that there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
(female)

aacat2007 HB User
Re: H.pylori treatment

I can totally relate! I was diagnosed H pylori last week and started Prevpac on Saturday. The first two days was awful and starting from the 3rd day I felt I could eat a little more. ( I used to feel very full and nauseated 24/7). Today is day 6 and I felt a strange stabbing pain under my left shoulder blade. I still burp after each meal Bought Manuka Honey and will start tonight before dinner...

Old 09-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
(female)

psalmon HB User

I had alot of stabbing pain too, first in one place and then another place <sigh> Finally today I feel a bit better, I feel good when I get up but once I start the meds then I just feel worse as the day goes on. The antibiotics just cause me all sorts of heartburn and reflux . Today is now Day 10... 5 more days to go. Oh and I am dragging my husband to the doctors tomorrow and they will do a quick blood test on him to check him. He doesn't have any symptoms but he maybe a silent carrier and could easily reinfect me and I SURE don't want to go thru this drug therapy a second time.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
(female)

aacat2007 HB User
Thumbs up Re: H.pylori treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalmon View Post
I had alot of stabbing pain too, first in one place and then another place <sigh> Finally today I feel a bit better, I feel good when I get up but once I start the meds then I just feel worse as the day goes on. The antibiotics just cause me all sorts of heartburn and reflux . Today is now Day 10... 5 more days to go. Oh and I am dragging my husband to the doctors tomorrow and they will do a quick blood test on him to check him. He doesn't have any symptoms but he maybe a silent carrier and could easily reinfect me and I SURE don't want to go thru this drug therapy a second time.
That's what exactly we (me and my husband) are going to do. He already scheduled an appointment with a family doc and will request a breath test ( more accurate than blood test?) Has your husband got the result yet? I suspect that mine has the bug b/c he burps a lot more often than normal yet not as much as I do. He doesn't get bothered though. I don't want to go through the antibiotics again. How are you feeling today? Looks like you are finishing the therapy very soon. My appetite is coming back definitely which i am so thankful! The only problem bothering me is still fullness after each meal and I have to make myself burp to release the discomfort. Oh, I feel very thirsty throughout the day!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

psalmon HB User
Wink Re: H.pylori treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacat2007 View Post
That's what exactly we (me and my husband) are going to do. He already scheduled an appointment with a family doc and will request a breath test ( more accurate than blood test?) Has your husband got the result yet? I suspect that mine has the bug b/c he burps a lot more often than normal yet not as much as I do. He doesn't get bothered though. I don't want to go through the antibiotics again. How are you feeling today? Looks like you are finishing the therapy very soon. My appetite is coming back definitely which i am so thankful! The only problem bothering me is still fullness after each meal and I have to make myself burp to release the discomfort. Oh, I feel very thirsty throughout the day!
I'm so glad to talk to another person with this. Yes, I dragged my husband to the clinic on Sat and he is negative, thank goodness. He also burps alot and it bugs the heck out of me, but it must be a 'man' thing I guess lololol.

Today is day 13 , one more day to get thru , and I do feel better. I haven't eaten much in the past 2 weeks and I lost about 10lbs. Oh well, I've been trying to drop that 10lbs for a year now hardy har har. Yesterday I was able to eat 3 pancakes, and I today I just ate a very small turkey sandwich. Finally moving away from soup, but still being VERY careful with the diet. And today is the first day in 3 weeks that I don't have any stomach pain. Hard to say which caused more pain, the H.pylori or the protonix or the antibiotics or a combo of all three! I have cut back on the protonix to just one pill a day today because they do make me feel so tired and my acid is now under control. (and 80mg is high)

Yes, I have been really thirsty too, and its good to drinks LOTS of water, just plain water, it will help to flush the drugs thru your system, thru the kidneys and it also reduces the acid in your stomach too.

I was told to wait 5 days after my last dose of meds and then get a stool test done (yuck) but I will do it, because if it's not clear I will have to switch antibiotics and continue on so I PRAY to god I am negative, oh please please please no more meds. The meds are worse then the disorder !!

I will also start Mastic Gum when I complete the antibiotic therapy , also DGL tabs too. Just want to get my poor tummy back in good shape. I also started probiotics, the good stuff that is in the refrigerator at the health food store. For some reason, I just can't tolerate yogart right now, I love the stuff but I haven't been able to eat it at all with h.pylori , guess its just too hard to digest.

Let me know how you are doing and if I can help in anyway, please post. Oh here is a hint, I was able to eat Edy's fruit pops. The meds left an awful taste in my mouth, started around day 6 or so and I couldn't taste a darn thing, so these were nice, very healthy, low sugar, yada yada.

Patti

Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
(female)

aacat2007 HB User

Thanks Patti! Glad to know your husband was h pylori free! It sounds very promising that spouse can stay clean out of it although the bacteria is proved to be contagious. Might be he has stronger immune system.

Hope you are feeling well right now after you finish the treatment. I have three more days to endure. I think my major symptoms are different than yours. I don't have stomach pain or acid reflux. I was very nauseated after each meal and felt so bloated. Now the nausea has gradually faded and the remaining part is gas and pain on my back(gas pain?). I have to induce burping to release the discomfort. I forgot to mention that I also have chronic gastritis found from the endoscopy. I guess all these symptoms are related to gastritis ( caused by h pylori).

What is DGL? I've bought both Manuka honey and Mastic gum and plan to take mastic gum after I am done with the antibiotics. I've been taking manuka honey since last week. It tasted really good. I think it has a soothing effect on stomach.

aacat

Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #7
(female)

psalmon HB User

DGL is Deglycyrrhizinated licorice. I've read you shouldn't take regular Licorice as it can cause hypertension and rapid heart rate, but the de-glycyrrhizinated licorice doesn't do that. They come in chewable tabs. I am going to order the manuka honey today. Its pricey but heck, I'm willing to try anything at list point.

My immune system took a hard hit this summer and I am sure that is what lead to this situation. I have addisons disease and as such I have to take alot of steriods and they can suppress your immune system, so it was probably a snowball effect.

I've read and have talked to other people and everyone has slightly different symptoms. I had alot of stomach pain but they thought I had ulcer so that could be why. I had all the bloating too. I wasn't overly nauseated just a bit. And I did have alot of back pain too. I wonder how many think they have the flu or something when its actually HP ??

around day 8-12 I got the most nasty taste in my mouth. Didn't have in the beginning of treatment and didn't have it on day 13 or 14. I've heard that could be the bacteria, I THOUGHT it was the meds but now I'm thinking bacteria. I couldn't taste a darn thing !!

Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #8
(female)

psalmon HB User

Its been 2 days since I finished the drug therapy, and I certainly do feel better. The drugs made me feel awful so I am glad they are done. FINALLY. Stomach is doing well, will have to stay on the PPIs for a few months. But now I have a yeast infection, but that is no big surprise considering all the antibiotics I had to take. So I a treating that and taking probiotics and now I can finally eat yogart again. Had two cups yesterday and no stomach issue at all.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User
Unhappy Re: H.pylori treatment

I was diagnosed with h pylori earlier this week. I was having pain on the left side (dr said ulcer) and constant nausea, diarrhea. I've only been taking Prevpac for 3 days. I don't know how I'm going to do this for a full 14 days. This antibiotic treatment is wicked. Difficult to go to work taking this but I can't take off for 2 weeks. I sure hope it gets better soon.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
(female)

psalmon HB User

Hi , yes the treatment is very difficult. Its been 3 weeks past meds now for me and I still have ulcer pain that comes and go. I feelt fine, no longer feel sick or anything, but this ulcer is going to take a long time to heal from what I have read.

Do take the Pepto with the med therapy, just don't take it at the same time as the prescripts as it can bind to the antibiotics and make them not as efficient. Hate to tell you but day 3 is easy, wait until you get to day 10.

I am self employed and I worked thru the whole treatment and it was AWFUL. I just wanted to lay down and die somewhere.

patti

Closed Thread