It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
(male)

Yosimite HB User
Can anyone tell me what this biopsy means

Well I recently had a EGD/Colonoscopy and the Dr wrote me the following letter.

Dear *** ***** ,

You recently had an EGD/Colonoscopy and biopsies were obtained. Biopsies from the small bowel (duodenum) indicate no abnormalities . Biopsies from the stomach indicate mild gastropathy and gastritis (inflammation in the lining of the stomach). Biopsies from the esophagus indicate chronic inflammation.

I have tried to get in contact with my Dr to get more info but he hasn't called me back. Can anyone please help

Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Can anyone tell me what this biopsy means

Yosimite,

Have you had any problems in these areas of your gastrointestinal tract?

The inflammation in the esophagus indicates that you probably have acid reflux along with the gastritis. You probably need to take a proton pump inhibitor--- I thinks Protonix would be best.

Inflammation in the esophagus can eventually result in Barrett's esophagus and a small precent can lead to cancer if not treated.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-14-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
(female)

LaurieZ HB User
Re: Can anyone tell me what this biopsy means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosimite View Post
Well I recently had a EGD/Colonoscopy and the Dr wrote me the following letter.

Dear *** ***** ,

You recently had an EGD/Colonoscopy and biopsies were obtained. Biopsies from the small bowel (duodenum) indicate no abnormalities . Biopsies from the stomach indicate mild gastropathy and gastritis (inflammation in the lining of the stomach). Biopsies from the esophagus indicate chronic inflammation.

I have tried to get in contact with my Dr to get more info but he hasn't called me back. Can anyone please help
It looks like the doctor tried to explain what each thing meant by the additional information in parenthesis. The duodenum is the name of the small intestine where he took one of the biopsies. Everything was okay there. In medical terms, gastropathy means disease of the stomach and gastritis mean inflammation of the stomach. Neither one of these are unusual findings. It sounds like theres just a little irritation there and the esophagus.

Closed Thread