It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

psalmon HB User
H.pylori and ulcers

Does anyone know how long it will take an ulcer or ulcers to heal AFTER being treated for h.pylori ? Its been about 20 days after treatment for me and I feel pretty good, but still have a small gnawing pain now and then, goes away when I eat and sometimes is gone all day but may return for a little bit. its getting less and less frequent, but I had a nurse PT comment that I should be MUCH BETTER by now. Well, I had a very ulcerated stomach and notable ulcers and my doctor is not sure but thinks the ulcer came BEFORE the h.pylori due to my extremely high intake of advil. I had a very painful foot fracture and I was eating advil like candy for about a week (1200mgs+ in a 12 hour period for 8 days) so we think that started it.

I have read that ulcers can take up to 3 or 4 months to truly heal. I am staying on a very strict bland diet and that helps No bloating, no gas, no nausea. Appetite is very good but I am behaving myself as I want this ulcer to heal.

I am taking Manuka honey, licorce, chamomille tea, green tea, slipper elm tabs and marshmallow root tea to help it heal.

Any idea how long this will take, I would sure love to have a slice of pizza and an ice cold beer Just one little piece, thats all loolololol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User
Re: H.pylori and ulcers

I'm still taking the prevpac for the h pylori. I do notice that the ulcer pain is starting to diminish (after 6 days). It does come back on occassion, but for the most part feels like it's going away. I too like my Advil. Always had migraines.

I didn't know that chammomile tea was good for healing ulcers. The only extra thing I'm taking with the Prevpac is acidophlous. So many interactions on these meds, I've been afraid to take anything else.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
(female)

psalmon HB User

I had a bad day yesterday... don't know why but I had alot of pain. I did drink alot of green tea and I probably shouldn't have. I am going to get retested this week, its been 30 days since I was dx'd and treated, was told to wait at least 3 weeks and it will be via a stool sample. I couldn't find anyone with the breath tester machine. I hope the h.pylori is really gone but I am starting to worry. I went thru 2 weeks of horrible drug therapy and if I have to go thru another 2 weeks of hell I will shot myself. God, this is awful. I'm better this morning, had water and and toast and I'm ok, but this is nuts. Great weight lose program NOT.
Patti

Old 10-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User

I've still for another week on the meds. I was diagnosed via blood test. Mornings are tough for me. I have to force myself to eat breakfast so I can take the meds again. Evenings are a little better.

Are you still taking PPI's? Those seemed to help me before the diagnosis. They took the pylori nausea away. I still had the pain from the ulcer. I've read most people continue the PPIs for a while after the antibiotics. When will they retest you?

Can't wait for this to be over and get back to feeling "normal". This thing definitely sucks!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
(female)

psalmon HB User

This condition really does suck. I'm so tired of my stomach acting up. Some days good, some days bad. Like you, I held off taking anything extra during the drug treatment due to any interactions and to be honest with you, the drug therapy alone is difficult enough. When I got done with it, then I started taking or trying alternative stuff. I found that Mastic gum seemed to bother me, but that Manuka honey worked well. The chamo tea worked well, but the green tea, even decaf bothered my stomach. I stopped it and I was fine yesterday and today, no pain at all. I also was taking some super probiotics, not sure if they bothered me or not, but I stopped them when I stopped the green tea. I will try them again tomorrow. Sheesh, its enough to make you crazy.

I do have a dr appt today and I will ask about the retesting. From what I have read, you need to be off the PPI's for like 30days and I'm still on them. I did cut back from 80mg to 40mg , and I do need to wean down to 20 and then maybe I can stop. I will ask the doctor today. And I am due for a colonoscopy before the end of the year and I wonder if I should just have an endo done at the same time ? I will ask him that today too.

I just want ALL of this crap to end and I want to get back to normal. I actually ate some meatloaf last night, woohoo.... meat. I only had a little bit, I would love to eat more but I dont' want to over eat, from what I have read thats the worst thing to do at this point. But I sure would give my right arm for pizza and beer . I haven't had a beer in 3 months . I haven't had ANY coffee in 3 months, and even when I do drink it, is only decaf low acid. This is torture for sure lolololol

Patti

Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User

I'm going to get some ginger tea after work. That's always worked well on my stomach. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really hoping that once these antibiotic regimen is done, I'll feel better. I'll lose my mind if it doesn't go away after this!! I haven't felt good in about 4 years.

I don't know how you can stand all that testing! I hate it! Make sure you wait enough time for the pylori to grow back enough to show up.

I've been eating beef/chicken daily, makes no difference what I eat.

Did the Prevpac make sleeping difficult? I haven't slept well since I've been on it. I feel so drained. I'd love to see a vaccination for this little bugger.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
(female)

psalmon HB User

I'm having some ginger tea right now, I buy the Prince of Peace Ginger tea with honey, its very soothing.

Saw the doctor today and he felt I had cut back on the Protonix too soon... I really need to stay on it alot longer and I bet he is right. The pain came back when I cut the Protonix in half.. (stupid smack head) My stomach has been fine since I went back on 80mgs.

Since I am due for an colonoscopy this year and I have met my deductable, we are going to do an endo at the same time. I'm scheduled for Oct 24. My GI doctor has been bugging me for 3 years to get the colon scope... I just didn't want to do it, but now I don't have an excuse and getting the endo is good idea. He feels its the best way to check for HP, check for ulcers and scarring. He did pull blood to double check for any pancreas issues... he doubts it but it doesn't hurt to check enzymes and such.

Yeah, all this testing is annoying and all the doctor visits !!! sheesh... its unreal. It was getting so bad I thought my mother was going to fly up from Florida and it has to be bad for my mother to get on plane lololol.

yes the meds made me feel very tired and lethargic and I had trouble sleeping too. It will take a few days after you stop the meds to really start to feel normal again. Those meds knocked me on my rear end. But I am not a very big person and I think the dosage was way high but oh well, I wanted that bacteria dead and gone forever !

Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User

The endoscope isn't bad. I was knocked out for it and there was really no prep besides not eating before the test. I did the colonoscopy quite a few years ago. The prep for that was difficult. I had to drink gallons of this fluid that, to me, tasted like ocean water. YUK! I understand now you can take a bunch of pills to prep. Plan on staying home from work to prep. The procedure itself was no big deal.

Counting down, only 6 more days until I can stop taking these meds. I was considering stopping a day early. Can one extra day really make a difference? Probably not.

Hoping I don't gain back the weight I've lost. The only positive side effect for me! LOL! Never made it to the store. Felt too lousy to go after work.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
(female)

psalmon HB User

I had an endoscopy last Dec and it was soo easy. The colonoscopy prep is a bugger, not so bad now, just some stool softeners and you have to drink Miralax with gatorade until your stool is water... such fun NOT ! hence why I put that off as long as possible. I have no issues at that end but once you hit 50, all the drs push for CS.

Don't stop the drugs early, really, don't do it. Stay on them the entire time. It could make a difference, ya never know and you sure don't want to have to go thru it again... god no !

I know I was counting down the days too. I lost about 12 lbs, which was nice. Been wanting to shift that 10lbs for a while now so this was one way to do it (snort) .

Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
(female)

psalmon HB User

Well my blood came back and it appears I now have acute pancreatitis.. well crap !!! Going in for an ultrasound tomorrow to check for any blockages. I did read that high levels of tetracycline can cause pancreatitis... well just great. THIS SO SUCKS... guess I will be losing even more weight..

Old 10-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
(female)

psalmon HB User

Ultrasound was clean... no stones anywhere and they checked out gallbladder, pancreas, liver, spleen and both kidneys, so now I am on water and liquids only for 4 days... sheesh.....I'm so hungry. This so sucks. Down another pound today . Sheesh a big wind could easily blow me away now :-(

Closed Thread