It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
(female)

DeniseA HB UserDeniseA HB User
False negative-hpylori

I was wondering if it was possible to have a false negative on a breath test for H Pylori? I tested negative for it, but I still have digestive symptoms and other symptoms. Is it possible? Should I ask for a stool test just in case?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
(female)

psalmon HB User
Re: False negative-hpylori

From what I have read, if you are taking any PPI's or pepto when you have the test done (be it stool or breath test) you can pull a false negative . I have read that a stool test is better then breath. Blood tests will be positive for a long time once you have the bacteria so they are useless except for first time detection. And of course, a stomach biopsy is the most exacting dx you can get.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
(male)

evand HB User

Is it possible to have a false negative on a blood test? I was told that the blood test was for the antibody but not the antigen. Still confused, as to if you could have a false negative. I have read that an H.pylori infection or some obstruction is the main cause for the constant bloated/nauseous feeling and burping that I have had for the last two months, currently waiting to be scoped.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
(female)

psalmon HB User

I've never heard of a false neg on a blood test... usually only false positives.
Scoping is the best thing and its really simple and easy and can really explain alot of things. I just saw my dr today and I am going in for endoscopy on the 24th. I have been off HP meds for 30 days and I need a routine colonoscopy before the end of the year (since I met my deductable) so we decided just do the endo at the same time. Best way to recheck for HP, and see if there are any ulcers or scarring etc.

Closed Thread