It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
(male)

dave999 HB User
Have ulcer and despertaely looking for help

Hello,

I first experienced this about 4 years ago... Very serious pain just below the ribs in the middle. I've had it happen about 7 times since then, but each time only for a day. Recently it happened again after more than a year. I thought... OK, that was the one day. Then a week later it happened again, and wouldn't go away for three days. It was the most terrible experience of my life. I couldn't get an appointment with a doctor and none of them would help. I ended up going to an urgent care. She didn't give me any specific tests, but after hearing all my info and examining me, she said she was pretty sure it was a peptic ulcer. She gave me samples of AcipHex. It did work after about 10 hours, but I have had terrible side effects. It makes me slightly nauseous and I have a hard time eating. I know it's the drug, because even when I had the pain I had some feeling of wanting to eat.

At this point, I don't know what to do. I have an appointment with a gastro doc, but I know he's going to want to put me on something like AcipHex and antibiotics. I've read many terrible things people have experienced with both of these things.

So I'm at a loss. I'm terrified to stop taking this drug, for fear the pain will come back. But the drug makes me sick. I really don't want to be on any drugs. Has anyone had any luck with DGL or anything else? I feel it;s my fault, because I have slipped the last few months and started eating oily foods too often.

Thanks for any help... I'm just really worried at this point. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Have ulcer and despertaely looking for help

It may be it's not all the way to ulcer, just gastritis.

You know, Aciphex made me really nauseous, too. I tried Prilosec and Dexilant, though, and neither one caused me any side effects. They didn't work all that well for me, but for many people they help a lot.

Go to the GI. He may want to do a test to find out if you have an infection called H. Pylori. If you do have ulcers caused by infection, a course of antibiotics will help a lot. If there's no infection, he may want to try other medicines.

For now, stay away from greasy foods, coffee, spicy stuff, etc. Buy some Tums, see if that provides relief. If not, try Zantac.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Have ulcer and despertaely looking for help

If its an Ulcer I can sympathise, I had one that bled and just recently another and the pain is awful.
I was given Nexium and Domperidone. The pain subsided in ten days time. There are other PPIs you could try if one doesn't suit but they do have side effects one being Nausea.
You need an Endoscopy to show what is going on.
All the best, Solofelix.

Closed Thread