It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

Candi0207 HB User
Esophageal Varices with no history of liver problems?

I am posting this in hopes that someone will know something about this. Yesterday I had an endoscope done, mainly to check if I had reflux, and sure enough doctor found a hiatal hernia and confirmed that... however he found something he was not expecting.

He found an esophogeal varice, very small, not ready to rupture, thank goodness but he told me he is stumped because he usually sees something like this in cirrhosis of the liver, drinkers, hepatitis, liver failure, that sort of thing. i am not a drinker, drug user, don't have hepatitis (I have been tested at where I work), I have no history of any liver problems. The doctor is stumped. He is going to do a liver and spleen cat scan but in the meantime, I researched it on the internet and everyone insists this is always linked to serious liver problems. I find this very hard to believe as I have no symptoms or risk factors for liver failure. The only thing I might have (according to internet that would even make sense) would be liver cancer... which I don't want to think about that. I have not been sick, am fairly healthy. I just had a dry cough because of the reflux. Lungs were cleared, no cancer, and he saw nothing suspicious in my esophagus or stomach. I am a non-smoker, never smoked.

Is there any other reason I would have one of these other than liver problems, which I, as a nurse, seriously don't think I'm a candidate for and neither does the doctor. I do have hypertension, not bad but there, and I am working with him on a treatment for that, could that have caused this? Has anyone had this and it not be associated with a failing liver?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread