It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
(male)

booker11 HB User
duodenal ulcer, when can I start drinking again?

Hi, about 2 months ago I was diagnosed with anemia. I immediately stopped drinking alcohol because they said I might have ulcers or something else wrong with my stomach. About 5 weeks ago I had an endoscopy of my stomach and a colonoscopy. They said they found several small duodenal ulcers (they also did a biopsy and found out later I have celiacs, which they say is what really caused the anemia). Once I found out I had ulcers I actually started drinking a glass or two a wine each day because I read that it might actually help kill H. pylori, but stopped drinking again about 1.5-2 weeks later when the biopsy came back and it turned out I didn't have H. pylori. Since then I haven't had any alcohol except a little bit of whiskey once or twice.

The doctor prescribed me omeprazole and told me not eat anything spicy or drink alcohol for a month and to take the omeprazole for 3 months.

I never thought I had any ulcer symptoms, but looking back I realize what I had always thought was just hunger might actually have been pain from the ulcers. I've had those hunger pains for at least the past year and a half but it's always been mild and gone away as soon as I ate, so I never really thought about it.

What I'm wondering is whether it's okay for me to drink again. It's been 5 weeks since I was diagnosed, one week longer than the doctor told me I needed to wait, but I still get that pain in my abdomen. Does it need to go away completely before I can drink again? Like I said, the pain is mild and doesn't really bother me, but I don't want to do any damage and be forced to take on a more restrictive diet or be in serious pain.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: duodenal ulcer, when can I start drinking again?

Over a yr ago I had an Ulcer, result of H.Pylori.
I haven't drank since (my choice). I can actually feel where my Ulcer was as soon as alcohol (wine or spirit) reaches that spot.
If your Dr said 5 wks and that is past then it should be OK. You will know yourself if you get any symptoms after drinking.
Wine causes me a lot of pain and so do some foods. I try to avoid anything that triggers it off as the pain is awful.
Good Luck, Solofelix.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
(male)

booker11 HB User
Re: duodenal ulcer, when can I start drinking again?

So I did end up drinking. The first night I didn't notice any pain, the second night I noticed a bit but it was minor, and then the third night there was some noticeable pain. The only thing is I don't think it could be pain from my duodenal ulcers since the pain would happen like 3-5 seconds after I would take a drink, last a few seconds and then go away. The pain was mild but definitely noticeable. Doesn't it take the alcohol longer than that to get to the doudenum? After a couple hours of drinking a persistent mild burning developed that got better when I drank water and ate and finally went away completely when I had some ice cream. Is it possible I could have developer a peptic or esophageal ulcer? I was on doxycycline recently and I read that can give you esophageal ulcers. Or could it just be heartburn? Would maybe taking antacids the next time I drank help?

Closed Thread