It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

duckykah HB User
GI doctor told me Laxatives are not harmful or addictive!!

I went to a new GI doctor yesterday & he told me that Laxatives are not harmful or addictive & if they were they wouldn't be on store shelves!! Has ANYONE EVER BEEN TO ANY DOCTOR THAT HAS TOLD THEM THIS? I have had severe constipation since around the spring of 2006. It was because I had endometrosis & only when I had my period I was constipated. Over the next 2 years the constipation got to the point where I was only having a bo3wel movement once a week by using an enema. I have never touched any thing other then enemas because I was always told by every doctor I have seen since 1996( before the constipation ever started) that laxatives were addictive & over time your bowel becomes dependent on them. Long story short I ended up getting a Hysterectomy because the endometriosis was so bad & the constipation just got worse. Now I take 2 maximum strength Ex pills before I go to bed every night & still even with that I can not have a bowel movement until I drink my coffee in the morning. I have tried just the coffee which used to work nut now I need the 2 together. I don't like taking them because I know that taken over a period of time your body gets used to them. There is more to my story but I just wanted to ask if what this GI doctor said to me had been told to anyone else. WHEN i HEARD THIS i SERIOUSLY THOUGHT HE WAS WACKED!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
(female)

duckykah HB User
Re: GI doctor told me Laxatives are not harmful or addictive!!

85 views & no replys??? Can anyone give me some feed back PLEASE???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Sorry for what you are going through and I am not a doctor here, but I have to agree with you, I don't know that it is good to become dependent on laxitives either. There are plenty of products on the shelves that are not necessarily good for us, many of which, we have not studied the side effects long enough to really know what they are! Have you tried adding fiber such as Metamucil or Citrucel to your diet, along with plenty of water(64oz)? There used to be another poster(an IBS sufferer) on this forum who actually re-trained herself/himself to go at the same time each day, it involved drinking Metamucil followed by a warm glass of water, something like stewed prunes and breathing exercizes. I know it might sound weird, but it might work in the same way that biofeedback works.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Ducky,

I don't think your doctor is right!!

Laxatives are addictive and can make you dependent. There are basically 4 types of laxitives osmotic type, stimulating type, bulk forming and stool sofeners.

Bulk forming types are the type that a person can use daily---these are the fiber type like psyllium seed husk powder as well as others. They basically bulk up your stool--- a person needs 25 to 35 gm daily to have noormal BMs. It needs to be divided between soluble fiber and insoluble fiber.

Insoluble fiber is all veggies and fruits as well as bran-- the outter parts of all grains, beans and peas. They cause digested food to contract the intestines muscles causing it to move through and out.

Soluble fiber absorbs fluids and bulks up the stool. These are the root veggies like all inner parts of grains( wheat, corn,rice, oats) and root veggies like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots beets, turnips and inulin that is add to many processed foods-- also, along with psyllium, citrucell as well as several others.

Stool softeners are mineral oil and ducosate sodium that softens the stool matter so the food can pass through the intestines better and easily. Docusuate sodium (in Colace and Dialose) can cause liver damage when taken with some drugs due to toxicity. Mineral oil can coat the intestines & prevents vitamins and minerals absorption.

Osmotic laxitives has salts and carbs that makes fluids secrete water into the colon promoting BMs. Examples are Milk of Magnesia, Magnesia Citrate, Epson salt. They are one of the safest for occational use but can result in addictive.

Stimulating laxitives irritate the intestine walls resulting in contractions. This type laxative can damage your intestinaes/colon with continued use and can result in dependency. -- Examples are Dulcolax , castor oil, senna (Senkot, Perdium), Cascara Sagrada and some others!!

Sorry this is not complete but it will give a pretty good idea.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 10-22-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Typos

Old 10-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
Instead of the laxatives try a small bowl of prunes every morning and 4-5 fresh figs or dried ones and a glass of warm water.
You can also try prune juice.
Laxatives are OK occasionally, but a regular healthy diet is better.
Hope this helps, Solofelix.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User

Your doctor is wrong!!

How many years of experience does he have? Because the laxatives have a warning on the box!

I am recovering from an eating disorder and abusing laxatives is in the criteria for a diagnosis. (I used them for years and I know that people can become dependent.)

Last November, I was eventually able to come off all laxatives after several months.

However, last March, I was put on Miralax because I was prescribed a proton pump inhibitor. I have a follow up appt. with my gastro this week and we are going to talk about ways to reduce the dosage so that I could eventually stop taking it.

This is going to be the second time I work with a doctor to get off laxatives.

You are going to need to find a doctor that can help you come off the edemas and coffee etc..

If this doctor is just going to give you a laxative, what is he planning to do when it stops working?

Tell him, I want to get to the point where I don't have to be dependent of on coffee, edemas and laxatives. Can you help me?

Ask him if he has worked with people who are dependent on edemas. How did he help them? Don't be afraid.

I know this is embarrassing stuff to talk to your doctor about, but you need to be your own advocate. You have lived with this for so long.

I abused them for 6 years. I never thought life without them would be possible. It was scary to talk to my gastro doc about this, but I am so glad I did.

Do you have another appt. with him?

Last edited by aileb; 10-23-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
(female)

Archie10 HB User

Hello there, aileb. I have abused laxatives for 7 years. I am trying so hard to get off them. The absolute best I've been able to get to is 2 a day. Things are still nowhere near normal, and I'm in pain nearly all the time. Please tell me there is hope, and that my bowel will be able to function on it's own. Without the laxatives, absolutely nothing happens.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hello Archie

Have you tried (ORTIS FRUITS & FIBRES). They are chewable Fruit Cubes.
You can buy them from your Health-Shop (You can where I live).
They are entirely natural made from (figs,dates,rhubarb etc..). I suffer Diverticulitis and have both bowel conditions Diarrhea or Constipation. These have worked wonders for me and are not habit forming.
If you can get them do give them a try, I wish you well.

Solofelix.

Closed Thread

Tags
constipation, endometrosis, laxatives