It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
A little nervous about my Upper GI Endoscopy Tomorrow

Hi guys,

I'll be going in for one of these tomorrow afternoon because of my reflux and constant burping problems. It's nice to read about people saying that it's not a big deal, but I'm still slightly concerned. I have, in addition to my issues mentioned, some sinus/nasal issues (congestion). I'm just hoping that they stay clear throughout the procedure so I can breath fine when they're going into my mouth. Do also have a gag reflex, but hopefully that doesn't become an issue. They told me that they will be using Propofol, so hopefully everything goes well.

Thanks in advance for your input.

The following user gives a hug of support to Leo255:
MountainReader (10-27-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
(female)

aileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB Useraileb HB User
Re: A little nervous about my Upper GI Endoscopy Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo255 View Post
Hi guys,

I'll be going in for one of these tomorrow afternoon because of my reflux and constant burping problems. It's nice to read about people saying that it's not a big deal, but I'm still slightly concerned. I have, in addition to my issues mentioned, some sinus/nasal issues (congestion). I'm just hoping that they stay clear throughout the procedure so I can breath fine when they're going into my mouth. Do also have a gag reflex, but hopefully that doesn't become an issue. They told me that they will be using Propofol, so hopefully everything goes well.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Don't worry, you will be out the whole time! After the procedure, I had a sore throat that lasted until the next day. I didn't have to wear a gown because it doesn't take that long. Wear layers because the hospitals are always freezing! I also fell asleep as soon as I got home so it probably won't be a good idea to make any plans.

good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks!

I emailed my doctor about this, and he said that he doesn't think it'll be an issue, considering that they constantly monitor oxygen saturation and give supplemental oxygen, as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've had three upper endoscopies since 2007. They were all pretty positive experiences for me. The worst thing is probably when they put the needle in your hand for when they administer the anesthesia and that isn't too bad. If you are anything like me, the medication knocks you out quickly. You sleep through the entire process and they will wake you as it is ending. In my case, I was instantly wide awake. They will moniter you for a bit after and have you drink some juice or soda. In my case, I was wide awake for the rest of the day after the procedure. I never had any problems with irritation or soreness in my throat although I know some people do have minor problems.

They don't put the scope down your throat until you out of it so the gag reflux shouldn't be bad. They will put a plastic ring in your mouth to hold your mouth open and protect your teeth from any damage before they put you out though.

The doctor will come talk to you after you've been in recovery for a bit. Frequently they will do some biopsies and you will go back in a week or so for a follow-up where you get those results.

I have had some severe sinus issues and had no problems during my procedures. In fact, I have found that the acid reflux I've suffered from was actually irritating my sinus problems over the years.

I hope your procedure goes as well as mine have. While it is always scary to have any procedure, mine have been very "easy" compared to other procedures I've had to have.

Good luck,
MountainReader

Old 10-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
(male)

Thank you all for your support. Just had the Endoscopy. Here are my thoughts, as I know people who are nervous about this procedure may come back to this thread in the future.

Just as everyone states, the prep is the worst part. My Endoscopy was at 1:30 PM, so I had to stop eating solids at about midnight, and had to stop with the liquids at 9:00/9:30 AM. I was definitely getting thirsty and was slightly light-headed on my way to the hospital, but everyone there was very nice. They immediately put an IV in me, and gave me the IV fluid which definitely helped.

As I said before, the burping was the primary problem with me, and I actually had this, as well as my sinus issues minimized, I think, because of the liquid diet. That being said I did have some burping/bloating feeling since they asked me to lie down, and since that position made the burping/bloating worse.

So essentially, they spray your throat and put the mouth strap on you and lie you on your side. The anesthesiologist then tells you that you'll be going to sleep, and you're out in about 5-10 seconds - I actually had to pee because of the IV's they were pumping into me, but decided I would hold it 'till after. So, I woke up 7 minutes after the procedure and was wheeled into the recovery area. There was some minor throat soreness, but nothing that bad at all.

More to come...

Old 10-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #6
(male)

Thank you all for your support. Just had the Endoscopy. Here are my thoughts, as I know people who are nervous about this procedure may come back to this thread in the future.

Just as everyone states, the prep is the worst part. My Endoscopy was at 1:30 PM, so I had to stop eating solids at about midnight, and had to stop with the liquids at 9:00/9:30 AM. I was definitely getting thirsty and was slightly light-headed on my way to the hospital, but everyone there was very nice. They immediately put an IV in me, and gave me the IV fluid which definitely helped.

As I said before, the burping was the primary problem with me, and I actually had this, as well as my sinus issues minimized, I think, because of the liquid diet. That being said I did have some burping/bloating feeling since they asked me to lie down, and since that position made the burping/bloating worse.

So essentially, they spray your throat and put the mouth strap on you and lie you on your side. The anesthesiologist then tells you that you'll be going to sleep, and you're out in about 5-10 seconds - I actually had to pee because of the IV's they were pumping into me, but decided I would hold it 'till after. So, I woke up 7 minutes after the procedure and was wheeled into the recovery area. There was some minor throat soreness, but nothing that bad at all.

More to come...

Old 09-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
(female)

lilacs22 HB User

Did they fully sedate you? I went in today to have one and I woke up in recovery and they told me they couldn't complete the scope because I had a bad reaction to the conscious sedation (versed and fentyl) and I was fighting them physically!! I don't understand and now they have to reschedule and I have to be fully sedated

Closed Thread