It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
(male)

jlopez81 HB User
anal sphincterotomy - what to do next

some background story before i share my story.

I'm a 30male, in good health except for the chronic fissures i've endured for almost 2 years. They started a good while back and would disappear like magic. Then one day it just bled, i swear i thought i was parting the red sea and it would not stop. I finally gave in and went to my family doctor. He said i had intense hemorrhoids, two in fact, that was the cause of all my pain. Believe me, it was painful, to the point where i would get light headed just sitting on the toilet. My doc prescribed me suppositories and recommended me to a GI doc for further diagnosis.

A week later, and after haven taken suppositories (which didnt help much) i met with my GI doc. Sure enough, he pointed out i indeed had two hemorrhoids, on both sides of my rectum (front and back), and to top that off, they were also causing fissures. Boy was that the worst news i've heard in a very long time. My GI doc assured me the hemorrhoids were not as bad as my Fam Doc had suggested. To help with the pain my GI doc prescribed me Nitroglycerin Ointment at 0.2% as well as sitz baths and fiber supplements.

I went along with the treatment and within 2 weeks i was back to my old self. At my followup, my GI doc said my hemorrhoids were completely gone, but my fissures were still there and pretty intense. He suggested i continue with the nitroglycerin ointment, sitz baths and fiber supplements and come back for another followup in 3 week.

I continued with the treatment and the fissures eventually went away. The followup appointment came and my GI doc cleared me of all fissures. I was glad i could finally not have a panic attack that id bleed myself to death on the toilet. My also suggested i continue with the fiber supplements to be on the safer side.

Well, to my distress, not a week later, the fissures were back. WITH A VENGEANCE!! Both fissures at both sites had returned. I followed up with my doc, he suggested the nitroglycerin ointment again and i complied.

Well, to make this shorter, this went on for well over a year. The nitroglycerin ointment would help, and then they suckers would be back. Other than going along with my docs suggestion of going for the full surgery, I was at a point where i just wanted to staple the suckers shut. I was fed up with the results and consulted a second GI doc.

This second doc suggested i get a colonoscopy, to see if there was anything internal that may be causing these chronic fissures. Well the procedure was done in January of this year (2011). I was sedated completely, and recovery was minimal. To my surprise, the fissures went away within a week. At my followup the doc told me there was nothing abnormal found other than in internal fissure (which they removed).

I was told i was in the clear and to followup in a month. Three weeks went by and wouldnt you know it, the fissures came back. REALLY!?!?!? I went to my second GI doc and again the nitroglycerin ointment was prescribed. several months passed and i was back to the same, nitro ointment - fissures gone - oh they're back again.

This summer i was just fed up with it and made my decision to just go thru with the surgery. I planned it all out, id finish my half marathon and the following day id have my surgery. (there was no pain when i ran, so i knew i could complete my half marathon).

So on monday Sept 12, i had my surgery with my first GI doc. Yay!
I was completely sedated, my doc told me the procedure took about 15mins and i should take it easy for at least week. (which i really needed to since the following week i'd start a new job)
The pain only came after the first bm (holy crap was that painful!), then maybe after the first 5 days the pain was gone and i hardly took any of my pain med (hydroxycodine 75mg). It was pretty itchy from the stitching that was used.

Week 2, holy moly!! the area around the stitching was swollen and it was painful to walk, let alone sit (yah new job was a pain to sit at my desk). then that Wednesday, the pain was gone and I felt squishy down there. i though something happened, maybe i popped a stitch or maybe it was blood or puss. I went to the ER that night. After 2 hrs and 2 docs later, they said it was normal for discharge to happen and i should be ok.

My followup with my doc came and he said the swelling was because of the stitching he used and my body had created a channel to release the fluid it was creating from breaking down the stitching. well, he removed the lined of stitching he could see and said i should be fine.

Seven weeks later, I'm still healing, and that channel, it still there!! and guess what, one of my fissures is starting to make a comeback. I dont get it anymore! its like my rectum is only partially swollen and it seems to be the cause of my fissure. I still take my sitz baths (3x daily) continue with the fiber supplements and stool softeners. I thought the surgery would have helped, but it seems like be ending up right where i started. I have a followup on 11-11, and hopefully my doc has some good news for me.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the stitching and this 'channel' that releases fluid?

Anyone had any relapse like this and what else can i do??

Sorry for the super long story, but I've read thru many posts on here and i havent found anything relating to my situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
(female)

hoosiermomof4 HB User
Re: anal sphincterotomy - what to do next

I had that surgery as well about 2 years ago. I had a fissure that would come and go for over a year. That surgery was the best decision I made, I haven't had it return but I would say the healing process took about 2 months maybe a little more. Make sure you have having very soft BM, I used Miralax daily. Anytime it would harden up even a tiny bit it would take me back 2 steps.

The Following User Says Thank You to hoosiermomof4 For This Useful Post:
jlopez81 (11-02-2011)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
(male)

jlopez81 HB User
Smile Re: anal sphincterotomy - what to do next

thanks for the reply, i'll take your suggestion and run with it.

I should have also added, i take herbal supplements (i did my extensive internet research) thats supposed to help digestion as well as circulation. I currently take Butchers broom Extract and Horse Chestnut Extract - these have actually helped somewhat.

Again, thank you, and i'll post any progress updates soon as i can.

Closed Thread