It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
(female)

TikiGds17 HB User
IBS, maybe more?

So, under the advice of a friend of mine that has Crohn's disease, after complaining about IBS related symptoms (you name it: no normal BMs, every color of the rainbow, constipation, diarrehea, severe cramping, extreme exhaustion, the 'I feel like I ate glass feeling), I went to a GI doctor at Hopkins to rule out Crohn's disease. I tested negative for Celiac's as well. I just recently went through a full scope (top and bottom), results of the biopsies came back fine. No MAST cells, no inflammation, nothing.

So with those results, I was diagnosed with the same thing as always, IBS. Now, I waited two weeks for the results, which I've been anticipating for a while. To get that call from my doctor was very upsetting, to be told that there is nothing wrong, when my body tells me there is something wrong made me very upset. That day alone I was having mucuosy-gas issues all day, and then of course being upset, I had an attack that night. Well, this morning, I still had some of that mucousy-gas, and with blood. This is the first time I've noticed blood, but it very recognizeable (deep, bright red). Has anyone with IBS ever had blood in their stool? It is not hemorroid related, I checked for those as well.

And I guess last I wanted to get opinions on her recommended treatment. She suggested a gluten-free diet even though I tested negative for Celiac's, which I told her straight up wasn't realistic and I can limit but not eliminate. The second option is, she wants to try me on Cymbalta, which is an anti-depressant known for additional treatments outside of emotional problems. My concern there is #1 weight gain. I do not want to gain any weight, I work out with a trainer and watch what I eat very carefully, I don't want to throw that away. #2, I am a social person that lives in the city, I will go out to drink with friends and on dates. I don't want to kill my liver by drinking on this. So, wanted to know if people had any experiences with that.

Sorry for the long rant, but obviously this is something that's upsetting me a lot, so any help, insight, suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: IBS, maybe more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiGds17 View Post
So, under the advice of a friend of mine that has Crohn's disease, after complaining about IBS related symptoms (you name it: no normal BMs, every color of the rainbow, constipation, diarrehea, severe cramping, extreme exhaustion, the 'I feel like I ate glass feeling), I went to a GI doctor at Hopkins to rule out Crohn's disease. I tested negative for Celiac's as well. I just recently went through a full scope (top and bottom), results of the biopsies came back fine. No MAST cells, no inflammation, nothing.

So with those results, I was diagnosed with the same thing as always, IBS. Now, I waited two weeks for the results, which I've been anticipating for a while. To get that call from my doctor was very upsetting, to be told that there is nothing wrong, when my body tells me there is something wrong made me very upset. That day alone I was having mucuosy-gas issues all day, and then of course being upset, I had an attack that night. Well, this morning, I still had some of that mucousy-gas, and with blood. This is the first time I've noticed blood, but it very recognizeable (deep, bright red). Has anyone with IBS ever had blood in their stool? It is not hemorroid related, I checked for those as well.

And I guess last I wanted to get opinions on her recommended treatment. She suggested a gluten-free diet even though I tested negative for Celiac's, which I told her straight up wasn't realistic and I can limit but not eliminate. The second option is, she wants to try me on Cymbalta, which is an anti-depressant known for additional treatments outside of emotional problems. My concern there is #1 weight gain. I do not want to gain any weight, I work out with a trainer and watch what I eat very carefully, I don't want to throw that away. #2, I am a social person that lives in the city, I will go out to drink with friends and on dates. I don't want to kill my liver by drinking on this. So, wanted to know if people had any experiences with that.

Sorry for the long rant, but obviously this is something that's upsetting me a lot, so any help, insight, suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Have you had an Endoscopy or Colonoscopy.
The blood could relate to a bleeding ulcer which would show with an Endoscopy. Colonoscopy would show any Bowel problem.
See your Dr if it occurs again.
Solofelix.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

TikiGds17 HB User

Yes, I had a full scope two weeks ago, biopsies came back fine.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
(female)

toepepper HB User

I'm going thru the same things as you right now. I was diagnosed with IBS 40 years ago. I just turned (a young) 61! I have all the same symptoms as you but have been noticing deep red blood in my mucousy stool at times. I also had both scopes done in late January of this year and nothing abnormal showed up. It freaks me out! I also have a lot of gas all the time. I'm thinking about going back to the doctor but I don't know if he'll do anything. I have never been checked for celiac disease or gall bladder problems. I also like to go out and I do drink socially. So comforting to know someone else is experiencing the same symptoms. I'm so sick of dealing with all of this. This mucousy blood stools is something fairly new to my IBS. My husband gets tired of hearing about my symptoms. I have also noticed that I have this kind of bloody mucous attack after eating spaghetti. I was wondering if this is what turned it red. Tired of trying to figure it out!

Last edited by toepepper; 11-10-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Closed Thread