It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

MimiD HB User
H. Pylori treatment causing severe nausea!

I tested positive for H.Pylori and started triple treatment. I took my first dose of antibiotics last night with dinner, by 4 a.m. I woke up with horrible metalic taste in my mouth and the worst nausea I have experienced in my life with dry heaves. I took prochlorazine which didn't help at all so by 6 a.m. I went to E.R. The doctor gave me the strongest anti-nausea medicine available (I don't remember the name) which only took the edge off. The nausea didn't start to subiside until about noon. I stopped taking the antibiotics until I see my doctor tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend anything which would prevent the nausea in the first place. Would taking prochlorazine before the nausea starts help? Or is there a different combination of antibiotics which has less side effects? I'll be discussing this with my doctor tomorrow, however, I would appreciate and advice on controlling the nausea. I can't imagine I'll be able to continue the treatment if I can't alleviate the nausea, or at least reduce it to a tolerable level.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: H. Pylori treatment causing severe nausea!

Hi,
I really feel for you. I had the exact same when I was taking treatment for H.Pylori. I gave up after one day of treatment because I felt so ill.
Anyhow a few weeks later I did the complete treatment and Boy!!... did I feel so bad. I was on AMOXILLiN-CLARITROMYSIN-NEXIUM. It is the CLARITHROMYSIN that causes the Metallic taste and I like you had terrible Nausea.
I was given DOMPERIDONE for the Nausea and drank Ginger-tea and made drinks from fresh Ginger and boiled water.
How long is your treatment, mine was for 7 days and now its gone T.G.
Hang in there and all the best,

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
(female)

MimiD HB User

My treatment is for 10 days. I just don't know how I am going to be able to endure 10 days of severe nausea. Did you take the Domperidone three times a day or just as needed? I'm thinking if I take the anti-nausea medication on a regular basis and have it in my system before the treatment, I'll experience less nausea? At least I hope this will work.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiD View Post
My treatment is for 10 days. I just don't know how I am going to be able to endure 10 days of severe nausea. Did you take the Domperidone three times a day or just as needed? I'm thinking if I take the anti-nausea medication on a regular basis and have it in my system before the treatment, I'll experience less nausea? At least I hope this will work.
I don't think the Domperidone will work like you suggest.
I took it three times a day right after food though I must say I could barely look at food during this medication.
I remember telling my family if H.Pylori ever came back I would NEVER take that treatment again, Id honestly put up with it (that's how bad the medication made me feel) I never left my house for the whole 7 days I took it.
I haven't read of others having had this problem, perhaps we were/are unlucky.
The Domperidone only took the edge of the Nausea.

Solofelix.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
(female)

MimiD HB User

I just came back from my doctor's office and he thinks I may have had an allergic reaction as the effects should not have been that severe. He's now switched my meds to the Quadruple therapy which I believe includes two different antibiotics plus pepto bismal and Nexium. I have to take this 4 times a day for 14 days. Hopefully I won't have the same reaction. I'm going to wait a day two before starting to give my body a chance to recover.

Last edited by MimiD; 11-17-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I just came back from my doctor's office and he thinks I may have had an allergic reaction as the effects should not have been that severe. He's now switched my meds to the Quadruple treatment plan which I believe includes two different antibiotics plus pepto bismal and Nexium. I have to take this 4 times a day for 14 days. Hopefully I won't have the same reaction. I'm going to wait a day two before starting to give my body a chance to recover.

Hi,
I hope this works for you. 14 days is a long time.
When I took my teatment I thought my reaction was due to so many pills, if I'd told my Dr she might have changed mine as well.
I'd never felt so ill in all my life.
I do wish you well and let me know how you get on.

Solofelix.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
(female)

MimiD HB User

This is my second day of treatment and so far I am doing well on the quadruple therapy. I had a little nausea yesterday afternoon which went away shortly after taking my anti-nausea medication. I have not had any nausea since and my appetite seems to be coming back. Hopefully, I will start to put some weight back on. 12.5 more days to go is still a long time, but as long as I am not sick, I can get through it. Remembering to take the pills 4x a day is a full time job. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by MimiD; 11-19-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
This is my second day of treatment and so far I am doing well on the quadruple therapy. I had a little nausea yesterday afternoon which went away shortly after taking my anti-nausea medication. I have not had any nausea since and my appetite seems to be coming back. Hopefully, I will start to put some weight back on. 12.5 more days to go is still a long time, but as long as I am not sick, I can get through it. Remembering to take the pills 4x a day is a full time job. Thanks for all your help.

Your Welcome!!.. and Good Luck,
Let me know how you feel at the end of your treatment.

Solofelix.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
(female)

MimiD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi,
I hope this works for you. 14 days is a long time.
When I took my teatment I thought my reaction was due to so many pills, if I'd told my Dr she might have changed mine as well.
I'd never felt so ill in all my life.
I do wish you well and let me know how you get on.

Solofelix.
I'm on day 9 and feel absolutely horrible. I feel worse this week than I did last week. I wake up nauseous and it usually lasts until noon, just looking at the pills makes me nauseous. I am going to stick it out for the full 14 days. I'll post again when I'm done.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
(female)

MimiD HB User

I'm on day 14 and feel absolutely horrible since taking my first dose this morning. This is the worst I have felt since starting the treatment. I have three more doses to take today and I just don't think I can do it, I hate to give up at the end, but my stomach can't take anymore. Do you think missing the last three doses today will make that much of a difference? It seems most doctors prescribe the treatment for 7 or 10 days. Or maybe I can take a break today and try to finish the medication tomorrow. I just can't image missing half a day will make such a difference, especially given the fact that I had one dose of the triple therapy before switching to the quadruple therapy.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
I'm so sorry at how you are feeling and as I said previously it is a horrible treatment and I know how you feel.
I,M sure missing the last dose will make no difference in fact how you have taken it for 13 days is incredible. Seven days made me so ill I said if it came back I would never do it again.
Don't worry about that last day. You need to take Probiotics to replace your good bacteria and take Domperidone for the Nausea.
I do hope you soon feel better and Good Luck,

Solofelix.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
(female)

MimiD HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi,
I'm so sorry at how you are feeling and as I said previously it is a horrible treatment and I know how you feel.
I,M sure missing the last dose will make no difference in fact how you have taken it for 13 days is incredible. Seven days made me so ill I said if it came back I would never do it again.
Don't worry about that last day. You need to take Probiotics to replace your good bacteria and take Domperidone for the Nausea.
I do hope you soon feel better and Good Luck,

Solofelix.
Thank you for your reply. I am not sure how I made it this far, after taking the last dose this morning I reached the end of my rope, my stomach is not strong enough. I'm going to stop, as you said, I don't think 1 day will make much difference. I will continue with the Nexium and take Probiotics daily to give my stomach a chance to heal. How long does it take for the antibiotics to get out of my system and start feeling better?

Last edited by MimiD; 12-01-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Mimi,
Glad to be of some help to you. To be honest my stomach felt awful for quite sometime and then I developed Thrush in my mouth as a result of the Antibiotics, I think it might have been in my Stomach as well.
My Dr gave me NYSTATIN which you swill in your mouth and swallow, it got rid of the thrush and is also good if you have Candida in your stomach which is possible after Antibiotics.
I then got myself on the Candida diet which helped as well.
It does take time but you will improve. Aloe-Vera Juice is also good for your stomach.

I wish you well, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
MimiD (12-01-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
(female)

MimiD HB User

Since ending treatment last Thursday, my symptoms became progressively worse. I started having severe epigastric burning pain which sent me to ER, they gave me a pink cocktail which did nothing and sent me home with the same pain. I had another severe attack Sunday which lasted 12 hours, I took 15 teaspoons of Gaviscon and aloe vera water, but nothing took away the pain. Finally fell asleep with a water bottle on my tummy at 4:00 a.m. I'm thinking the antibiotics severely irritated my stomach. I thought the treatment was going to make me better not worse! This morning I make an appt. to see my doctor as I can't continue like this. It just so happens he had just received my test results for the upper G.I and Hida. Upper G.I came back normal and Hida Scan came back with diagnosis of Biliary dyskinesia. He didn't give me my ejection fraction but told me my gallbladder is not working. Anyway, I'm meeting with a surgeon next week and hopefully end my miserly. Now I'm wondering if all my symptoms were side effects of the antibiotics or my gallbladder?

The following user gives a hug of support to MimiD:
solofelix (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Mimi,

You poor thing I really feel for you and hope you get the right diagnoses and treatment.
After such hard treatment with the Antibiotics I wouldn't be surprised if you might even have Candida, that's what happened to me after H.Pylori treatment and it took me months to get rid of it.
If the problem is with your Gall Bladder then I hope you improve after treatment.
Keep in touch and let me know how things go.
I'll pray you will be OK,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread