It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
(male)

chipecan HB User
Sudden Gluten Intolerance??

Been battling a ton of symptoms for 2 months now....stomach pain, loose stool when I can actually have a bowel movement, cold sweats(clammy skin), muscle twitches in legs,arms, and lips. occasional cold streaks down the legs and ice cold feet. Also having quiet a bit of PVC's....which I originally thought was a stomach spasm but after one of several trips to the ER over the last 6 weeks, I was informed it was PVC's.

So I've had a ton of work up from my GI, ER visits always show no problems in the blood test. My primary care and ER docs say it is just stress, I keep telling them not feeling well and knowing something is not right is what is stressing me out. The heart looks good except the PVC every now and then....although they say it's not related to my stomach I never had them until all these symptoms started.

Anyway, recently saw a great GI guy, we did a CAT scan and Endoscopy, both showed normal except for an umbilical hernia that does not need to be repaired.....fine by me, don't want to be cut if I don't need it....the endoscopy and biopsy's looked good. he said there was some slight irritation in the duodenum and wants me to try gluten free for 3 weeks which I will....am willing to try anything at this point especially after passing out at Rite Aid waiting in line to check out.....

Reading about gluten free foods I have noticed one thing, a lot of what I usually eat is now off limits. If this is Celiac why is it just effecting me now? Never had these symptoms until a month long trip to Mexico.....all the doctors tell me to forget the Mexico trip and stop trying to tie that to these symptoms, kinda tough when they all started when there and haven't ceased since I have been home for 2 months now. Anyway, my main question here is why would gluten suddenly be a problem after 38 years without it being a problem? Until the last year I was a heavy beer drinker and pizza eater, changed that after my weight got to out of control and have lost 70lbs the last 12 months. I just don't understand how gluten wasn't a problem and now all of a sudden it is.....Any thoughts......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
(female)

danangirls HB User
Re: Sudden Gluten Intolerance??

Well, I am 45 years old and just discovering what I suspect to be a gluten problem. I personally think I have had it for a very long time, but most of my symptoms appear unrelated. Around 3 years ago I started getting new symptoms and those came on suddenly. Interestingly, my most painful (rashes) and new symptoms came shortly after a trip to Mexico as well. My docs laughed at me when I tried to make the correlation. I do not think they are related anymore, but I am still annoyed that they wouldn't even seriously consider it. How did it go?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
(male)

chipecan HB User

Well, tried the gluten free and was about 95% successful in staying gluten free. really no change in my symptoms except that I am having less upper left stomach pain. have began introducing more gluten type foods back into diet and actually drank some beers on new years eve. nothing really changed.
I still feel something happened in Mexico but at the same time it has been 3 months now that I have been back, one would think being back in my regular routine would have resolved whatever may have happened in Mexico.
one thing that is really bothering me is the noticeable change in my color, especially in the mornings, tend to be really pale.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, it could be you picked up a stomach illness there. It can take months for the stomach to get fully back to normal after something like that! If that's the problem, a nutritious but bland diet and patience are key to recovery. And of course, whatever else happens, drink water and stay hydrated.

Some doctors believe an infection could even trigger gluten intolerance. The thing about gluten intolerance is that avoiding 95% of gluten is not good enough. It's not like lactose intolerance, most people with lactose intolerance are fine with a little bit of dairy. Assuming you do have it, you need to treat it like a food allergy and avoid not only all bread, but all food that might have even trace amounts of gluten. It may take several weeks on this strict diet to see improvement.

Still, there's a blood test for celiac. Not sure why he didn't try that first.

Also, it sounds like you may be anemic or suffering from another nutritional deficiency. It's a common problem among people with digestive disorders.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
(female)

danangirls HB User

I ended up being diagnosed with Leaky Gut, most likely caused by a gluten intolerance. I dropped gluten when a friend suggested it and one major symptom went away (bright red rash), but none of my others went away. Turns out that my gut was compromised and now I react to 35 different foods (including multiple containing gluten). I am even reacting to the supplements the doc prescribes to heal the gut. However, if I stay clear of those foods I have no symptoms. It took weeks to get rid of them though. I am on the 3rd month of the diet and still have some reactions because I keep trying supplements and occasionally have to eat out where I get tainted food. You may want to try gluten free for at least two months to see if you even feel a little better. I could never have figured out my triggers without a blood test. Doc said that this has been forming for very long. I have 3 different previous diagnoses with 8 different docs and all kinds of creams and pills. I came to the conclusion that food had to be my problem due to the complete unpredictability of my symptoms. If it was my body, then it should be steady or increasing, or cyclical.

Good luck! I had one doc tell me flat out that food couldn't cause my symptoms. He sent me off track and into more severe pain for another year. The more I learn the more I am convinced that most of these mysterious ailments that people have are caused by leaky gut due to a gluten sensitivity.

Closed Thread