It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
(male)

gangrelia HB User
How is h. pylori usually diagnosed?

I have chronic coughing from acid reflux. Since two other household members got it at the same time, the ENT doctor suspects it is caused by h. pylori infection of the stomach, so he referred me to a GI doctor.

I read there are three ways of diagnosing h. pylori. Breath test, blood test, and endoscopy. Which one is usually used? Is it usually done on the first visit or is it scheduled at another time?

Right now, I'm on 40 mg of prilosec twice a day which only helps somewhat. Do I have to get off prilosec since I heard it affects the test and may give me a false negative?

Old 09-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
(male)

dask HB User
Re: How is h. pylori usually diagnosed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangrelia View Post
I have chronic coughing from acid reflux. Since two other household members got it at the same time, the ENT doctor suspects it is caused by h. pylori infection of the stomach, so he referred me to a GI doctor.

I read there are three ways of diagnosing h. pylori. Breath test, blood test, and endoscopy. Which one is usually used? Is it usually done on the first visit or is it scheduled at another time?

Right now, I'm on 40 mg of prilosec twice a day which only helps somewhat. Do I have to get off prilosec since I heard it affects the test and may give me a false negative?
I did a blood test while I was on PPIs and I even started taking some anti-biotic the Hpylori might come in your blood as week positive if thats the case but as far as PPI is concerned it should still come up on Blood, stool or breath test. Best of luck if H.Pylori is there don't waste time get the eradication treatment from your doctor otherwise it will pain you a lot later. Best of luck take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User
Re: How is h. pylori usually diagnosed?

I didn't have h.pylori but they thought I did. They did a blood test first. When all turned out well I had an endoscopy to check for other causes and to also confirm there was no h.pylori or recent infections. Best of luck to you! If you have it, its best get it treated right away. I don't know about the PPI's, but the best person to ask is your dr.

Reply Reply