It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
(male)

Noddy440 HB User
8 months of gastritis, what do I do?

Hey guys, new to this forum as I'm really at a dead end and see no way out. I'm only 16 and have has possible (doctor said he could hear inflammation in my stomach) gastritis for since April. I have taken all the PPI's under the sun and Ranitidine; to no avail (though ranitidine did help a little). Doctor referred me for gastroscopy but if at all possible I would like to avoid.

Had multiple blood tests, all came back normal (full blood count, diabetes check, h-pylori negative, blood sugar tests). I've heard about diet has had a lot to do with it, and have been eating porridge for a few days and I feel much better for an hour or so afterwards. I also have an extremely gurgly stomach; to the point where other people on the other side of the room and hear it. Also, stools are the most foul smelling thing ever (only since this stomach thing)

On a maybe connected note, I have been having troubles with my throat, as though it's really tight at the back and I have a bit of trouble swallowing.

Any help, or diet tips, or anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Really struggling with this at the moment. I'm not myself anymore.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 8 months of gastritis, what do I do?

Diet can definitely help. Stay away from acidic, fatty or spicy foods, eat things like porridge or bread. Nonfat milk is good, too, unless you are lactose-intolerant. Stay away from things like aspirin or Advil, they can make it worse.

Gaviscon can provide good temporary relief, and the medicine Domperidone might help if you have a motility problem.

Don't be afraid of gastroscopy. I've had it 3 times and it was no sweat. I was sedated lightly each time. I just went to sleep, and woke up feeling fine when it was over. No pain or problems.

If you have acid reflux, that can cause throat irritation, also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

Medley3 HB User

Hi..I agree about not to worry about having a scope. I just had one and there is nothing to it. They give you a seditive and the next minute you are awake. They can then tell you what they found..and how to treat it.
The med Nexium worked for me better than anything for gastritis.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-27-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
(male)

Noddy440 HB User

Thanks guys! I'll look into getting some Nexium, does it cure it or just help the symptoms?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Nexium is a PPI. For gastritis, if a PPI is going to help, typically you see some symptom improvement in a week or two.

Generally gastritis heals in 8 weeks once all perpetuating factors have been removed. The tricky part is finding those perpetuating factors!

Oh! One more thing. Some studies show that the amino acid L-Glutamine can help heal gastritis. You want to take a pretty large dose, about 5 grams per day. Bulk powder is cheaper than pills, and the powder dissolves clear and tasteless in room-temperature water.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
(female)

vb10 HB User
Smile Re: 8 months of gastritis, what do I do?

I think I know what you have and I think I can help you.

1. Your gastritis is the result of you being gluten intolerant. How do I know? You have all my symptoms. THE ONLY RELIABLE test is genetic. Don't even bother to have your blood tested, it is only 40% accurate. My test results came back negative and I have the celiac disease.

2. What to do? Start eating gluten free (no wheat, barley or rye and sometimes oat) and get rid of all hidden gluten in your house. Gluten can be found in toothpaste, soap, shampoos, facial cream, lipstick, etc. Be very careful, since as soon as you get off ALL gluten things, your body will start reacting to a single crumb. You will have some very severe reactions.

3. Another possible cause is hypochloridia, or low stomach acid. I will be honest with you - I don't know much about it, but your symptoms match and it often comes with gluten intolerance. And I am sure you are gluten intolerant.

If you are still have doubts whether you are gluten intolerant or not, eat bananas (nothing else) and drink water (nothing else) for three days. Why bananas? They are the only fruit tolerated by gastric patients and they do not cause cross-reactivity like rice or any other starches. You don't have to cut them with knife, they are covered with peel and thus they are not going to be contaminated with gluten for sure. I would also suggest eating meat/chicken, but afraid you might add salt and spices, and they have gluten sometimes. If you feel better after eating nothing but bananas (even though you will start hating bananas), you are definitely gluten intolerant. Or, and try to use only Jonson's baby shampoo and soap, they are gluten free (and no creams or makeup whatsoever).

Good luck! Keep searching, you will get it!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
(male)

Maradeur1978 HB User
Smile Re: 8 months of gastritis, what do I do?

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with this pain so much. I am also struggling with gastritis and it is absolutely crippling me, I can't sleep during the night. My advice is: don't drink and eat anything that will agravate your stomach: coffee, carbonated drinks, anything that is spicy hot, and also stay away from acidic foods, fried foods, alcohol. Also don't eat about 3-4 hours before you go to sleep. It is best to drink water. I drink water and nothing else. Also avoid stress which makes the stomach pain alot worse, when I start to panick, it is extremly difficult to stay calm living with this pain everyday. Try and surround yourself with friends and family that can support you and who understand what you are going through. My family and friends supporting me is very important to me. Try and find out which foods work for you and which foods don't. I am still trying to try and combine foods which will help. I am now taking Siberian Pine Nut Oil. I read on the Internet that it helps to heal inflamation of the stomach. I am hopeful that it may help, you may want to try it.

I have been also diagnosed with chronic gastritis, Acid Reflux Disease, Functional Dyspepsia, with IBS symptoms, which includes cramps. I also sometimes feel like there is something stuck in the back of my throat.

Just don't give up and try and stay positive it does get better. I have had chronic gastritis for two years now. The pain does eventually decrease, but I find that at times the gastritis pain just flares up and then the pain almost become unbearable.

I wish you well, I hope you feel better,
Sincerely, Maradeur1978

Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I suggest that you try Mastic Gum--500mg (2) between meals twice daily-- The Bottle of 120 capsules(30 days) and also take a good broard spectrum probiotic PB-8 is OK.

God Bless---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 03-15-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typos

Closed Thread

Tags
gastritis