It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
(male)

iamkinghenry HB User
Giardia after being diagnosed with IBS

I went to a GI 2 1/2 years ago and was diagnosed with IBS after a colonoscopy, endoscopy, blood work, and basic stool sample. I was given dicyclomine after complaining for 6 months but that didn't help. I really changed my diet and went to eating only white rice and chicken (white w/ no spices) for a few days which didn't make me feel better.

I would have diarrhea unexpectedly. Next came the abdominal pain with gas. This progressively got worse and I was in pain pretty much all day. I would constantly have pain to have a bowel movement. Sometimes I would have a bowel movement which helped but mostly not and just suffer. When I got up for work in the morning 5AM a pain would hit and I had to dart to the bathroom.

After continuing to get worse over the 2 1/2 years then I read about getting 3 stool samples (ova and parasites) and pushed for them. The 2nd sample came back with Giardia (thank god, it's nice to find something wrong to fix). I can't figure out where I got it from which would be nice to know. I want to know how long I've had this parasite.

I took the medication Flagyl for 7 days and am trying to get better still. It's been 2 days since finishing the Med and I do feel better. The first few days on the med I felt like it was really helping. The last day and the day after the medication I felt like maybe it was coming back. I feel ok today so far but it is Saturday and I can just relax.

This whole experience has been a nightmare and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's over. I'm going to get the 3 stool samples done in a month again if I continue to feel better. If I don't feel good it 2 weeks then I'm going to push for them sooner.

I'm going to watch my diet for a few weeks eating mostly bland stuff to let my system recover. I heard that you can be lactose intolerant for a couple months.

This whole experience has been rough and I feel that maybe it could have been avoided if my doctor ordered the 3 stool samples 2 1/2 years ago.

Hopefully this will help someone so they can avoid the misery I've been dealing with.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
(male)

gordon7 HB User
Re: Giardia after being diagnosed with IBS

How are you doing now?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
(male)

iamkinghenry HB User
Re: Giardia after being diagnosed with IBS

It's been a rough ride.

Off all meds (was on elavil for awhile) and feeling better. Not normal but if I watch what I eat then I feel like I can function. It's just taking a long time to get better but it does seem to be happening.

Closed Thread