It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
(male)

pretordan HB User
Gas/trapped gas for 5 months

In august I started having bad gas every afternoon, every day no matter what I ate. By October the gas last all afternoon and night (I feel better lying down but as soon as I stand up it would come out in the morning). Now the gas forms and won't come out until morning making my evenings very uncomfortable. I went gluten free and was put on cipro for sibo at the same time. I got much better, but never perfect.

I've been off cipro now for almost 4 weeks. I felt pretty good when on it but about 3 days after I finished it my symptoms really started to return - but that's when I also started eating gluten again. ISo I've been 100% gluten free for 3 weeks and at first I was having some good days, but most days every evening after dinner I would start getting the gas build up . If I was fortunate it would come out, otherwise it would stay trapped and hurt until morning when it came out. Now it seems my gas is all over the place. 2 days ago I had my symptoms from 3 months ago where all evening tons of gas starting coming out but the only thing that changed from my diet is that I ate wheat free waffles with maple syrup and some butter.

This might be too much info but I find it strange, ever since I went on the cipro once a week I have a day where I have three or so obscenely large BMs in one day. They almost always smell like dog ###### which is strange in itself. I used to volunteer at a dog shelter in the summer before this started so I wondered if its remotely possible that could be related. I'm not constipated though, my stool comes out easy enough each day....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
(male)

pretordan HB User
Re: Gas/trapped gas for 5 months

anyone have any ideas at all?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

RunningGirl7 HB User

Hi,

I have been having the same issues. I was diagnosed with Gastritis but I am not sure if that's the problem or if something else is causing it. It starts around the afternoon and ocurrs all night! It's awful. They are testing me for SIBO. How are you feeling?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretordan View Post
In august I started having bad gas every afternoon, every day no matter what I ate. By October the gas last all afternoon and night (I feel better lying down but as soon as I stand up it would come out in the morning). Now the gas forms and won't come out until morning making my evenings very uncomfortable. I went gluten free and was put on cipro for sibo at the same time. I got much better, but never perfect.

I've been off cipro now for almost 4 weeks. I felt pretty good when on it but about 3 days after I finished it my symptoms really started to return - but that's when I also started eating gluten again. ISo I've been 100% gluten free for 3 weeks and at first I was having some good days, but most days every evening after dinner I would start getting the gas build up . If I was fortunate it would come out, otherwise it would stay trapped and hurt until morning when it came out. Now it seems my gas is all over the place. 2 days ago I had my symptoms from 3 months ago where all evening tons of gas starting coming out but the only thing that changed from my diet is that I ate wheat free waffles with maple syrup and some butter.

This might be too much info but I find it strange, ever since I went on the cipro once a week I have a day where I have three or so obscenely large BMs in one day. They almost always smell like dog ###### which is strange in itself. I used to volunteer at a dog shelter in the summer before this started so I wondered if its remotely possible that could be related. I'm not constipated though, my stool comes out easy enough each day....
Antibiotics tend to give most people diarrhea because it kills off the good bacteria in your colon as well as the bad bacteria. It might be causing your BM's to smell worse or it could be if you're eating a lot of red meats. Red meats make our BM's smell worse because we don't digest red meats well and it basically sits in the colon and rots until we pass it out as a BM.
I can only tell you from my experience with trapped gas is usually caused by something I have eaten but it's only relieved by having a bowel movement. When I get trapped gas that I can't expel I go into the bathroom sit on the toilet and I place my right hand just below my belly button and push inward and downward and try to expel as much gas as possible and then sit there for awhile because the pressure you placed on your lower abdomen usually gets my bowels to move pretty quickly. If that doesn't work then taking slow deep breaths continuously helps the rectal and anal muscles to relax so the BM comes out without pain and usually all the excess gas comes out as well relieving all the pressure. This is the only way I have found that relieves the trapped gas pressure feeling. Maybe try making a part of your bed time routine to sit on the toilet to see if having BM helps relieve the nightly gas pressure maybe that's all you need to do. It's worth a try so you can get a good night's rest. I sure hope this helps you like it does for me.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
(male)

pretordan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl7 View Post
Hi,

I have been having the same issues. I was diagnosed with Gastritis but I am not sure if that's the problem or if something else is causing it. It starts around the afternoon and ocurrs all night! It's awful. They are testing me for SIBO. How are you feeling?
Still have the same issues. I have a set diet I can eat to severely limit the amount of gas I make but it is very strict and doesn't always work 100%. Mainly meat, gluten free bread/pasta, eggs.

I figured out my stool issues were from taking too many digestive enzymes - I stopped and stool normalized. I just have gas or giant gas bubbles.

Closed Thread