It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
(male)

dave2324 HB User
Help! Stomach trouble/extreme fatigue

Hi, first post - It seems like a longshot, but wanted to see if anyone has been in a similar situation to me, and can shed some light on what's going on with me...sorry if the message is a bit long, thanks in advance for reading!

-Around 10-15 years ago, I began having stomach problems that seemed consistent with an ulcer (Burning stomach pains, relieved after eating), and I visited a doctor. He didn't perform any tests but gave me an acid reducer, and said to take it for two weeks and follow-up with him if things hadn't cleared up. Also said to avoid alcohol, caffeine and smoking. Things cleared up relatively quickly.

-Once a year or so, I'd get a similar problem, but every time the acid reducing drugs cleared things up quickly, and it's even easier nowadays since there's so many available over-the-counter.

-This past mid-November, I began feeling very sluggish and upset in the stomach...I assumed it was a flu of some sorts - then a few days later, I wasn't getting better and got the familiar burning feeling in my gut - and started taking Prilosec for a couple weeks and cut out alcohol/caffine. Didn't feel any better until almost the whole two weeks of taking it, but it did go away.

-Felt fine for 2-3 weeks and went back to my normal routine (Moderate caffine usage, a few beers on a couple nights - nothing extreme), and began to feel sick after a few weeks. Once again figured it might be a flu, since I never have the ulcer-like symptoms so close after taking care of it...but a few days later, I got the same feeling again, and went back on acid reducers again for a couple weeks.

-This time things seemed to clear up a bit quicker, though I kept taking the acid reducer for a full 2 weeks just to make sure. A week or so later, I went out for a rather big birthday dinner with a few drinks...next day I felt a bit sluggish, but just chalked it up to a mild hangover...but the next day the symptoms were back in full force again, and haven't left since (A little over a week now).

main symptoms are:

-Burning in my stomach, relieved by eating

-Irritated by some foods (Nuts, Tomatoes, Caffine and some fruits seems to be the worst)

-VERY fatigued - This is the worst part - I used to keep real busy/working out daily, and got by fine on 6 or so hours of sleep. Now I sleep 9-10 hours, and sometimes take a nap in addition to that. And I still don't feel good - very irritable, no energy, don't feel like doing ANYTHING (even minor things like playing videogames, socializing, etc). Being on my feet at work all day and not telling anyone off is a real challenge.

-Extreme amount of flatulence...and smells worse than usual too.

-Very large, "Pile" type stools - no blood, not black - but smellier than usual, and so heavy that water doesn't push them down the toilet.

I don't have health insurance whatsoever...so I went to an urgent care type place - I had assumed that I must have H. Pylori since this problem is occuring so often...but I had a bloodtest done, and it came back negative. Not sure what to try now - the doctor suggested an endoscopy...but like i said, no health insurance, and that is not a cheap procedure!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Help! Stomach trouble/extreme fatigue

Hi,
I was going to suggest H.Pylori but you tested negative to that.
It sounds to me like a bowel problem especially how you describe your stools. If the bowel is affected so the stomach will be as well.
The only way I know to check the bowel is with a Colonoscopy. I was found to have Diverticulitis with my bowel symptoms. An Endoscopy will find problems with the stomach.
I have had both procedures done and it is worth the peace of mind.
Good Luck,

Solofelix.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
(male)

JSmith1123 HB User

You just described my every symptom. Literally to the T, even when It started happening. My symptoms started late October, early November and I have every symptom you have. My biggest issue is the fatigue as well. It feels like no matter how much sleep I get, i'm a walking corpse. The burning sensation, the gas and ive had bowel movement similar to the one you described. Sorry to sound gross lol but its uncanny how similar it is.

Im just wondering how you're doing now, and if you had anything else done to see whats wrong?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
(male)

dave2324 HB User

Since I've posted, I had an endoscopy done - which showed mild gastritis, and they took a biopsy, which came back negative.

I've thought a lot about my symptoms and when/how they act up since then, and I've come to the conclusion that it's mostly anxiety/stress-related. I was starting to feel a bit better until I got the results of the biopsy - I was pretty disappointed to find that the doctor had no advice to give me except to continue taking acid reducers and avoid foods that seems to make symptoms worse - i got a bit upset about it, and my stomach immediately started to feel worse. after a day or two if completely taking it easy, i feel a lot better.

Also realized that in the past - it's usually the fatigue/general flu-like feeling that I feel for a week or so, then after a week I really get the burning feeling in my gut. Seems possible that the first week of fatigue is simply caused by stress/anxiety and when it lasts for some time , it begins to effect my stomach as well. I also remembered that I felt this way a lot last winter...except my stomach never really bothered me - just the fatigue/loss of energy - it was a bad period of time for me, with a couple friends passing away and a hectic work schedule so it made sense to me then - and it dawned on me one day recently that the way i've been feeling now is the same way i felt back then.

I've always suffered from social anxiety to a degree, and just started taking an antidepressant that i got prescribed today...i've taken a couple different ones in the past with no positive results, but i'm hoping this helps with my social anxiety a bit...and also hoping that at least my stomach problems at least subside for a while!

Not sure if that will help you at all....it'd be really uncanny if this post applied to you as well!

Closed Thread