It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
(male)

drinsac HB User
chills/mild reflux without heartburn?

Ok I typed this out and it seems very long, so I let me provide a bulleted version:

* overall shape: 33 year old male, healthy weight, healthy diet. No smoking.
* symptoms: sour taste after eating anything at all; chills associated with eating and BMs. If NOT taking antacids, I feel hunger much sooner after eating (meal size being constant). Throat tightness after eating large "bad" meals like greasy Chinese food.
* diagnosis: GERD (was told no heartburn and tightness were “atypical” of GERD)
* medications: Omeprazole for 2 weeks, Zantac. No effect on taste or chills.
* alternative treatments: tried apple cider vinegar (irritated throat, no noticeable effect on sour taste), mastic gum, Pepzin (zinc l-carnosine). None seemed to help.
* also: used clindamycin gel for acne for ~3 years continuously; doctors state (incorrectly) that it is not absorbed into system. Have been off it for 8 weeks now, no apparent change in symps.
* question: what could cause reflux/chills in the absence of pain or heartburn?

Hi everyone, I’m getting a bit tired with the medical establishment and was hoping someone here might have some insight into what might be going on with me. It has been around about a year and a half so I will try to summarize without writing a book.

For a long time, I felt a tightness in my throat, that would cause me to want to swallow often, even though swallowing really didn’t relieve the sensation much at all. I finally went to the doctor (primary care), figuring it was a sinus issue. She diagnosed me with GERD, even though I had never felt heartburn nor did I ever feel food “coming up” (she asked me about both of these and I replied that no I did not experience them). She prescribed me Omeprazole (generic version of Prilosec) and told me to lay off coffee and alcohol. My routine at that point was to have 1 cup of coffee when getting up (empty stomach) then a beer in the evening, which did not seem excessive to me but I stopped anyhow. I am a healthy weight (145 and 5 foot 9) and exercise regularly including weights, and eat a healthy diet.

The next morning after having taken the Omeprazole the day before in the afternoon, and forgoing my coffee, my stomach/gut felt MUCH better. It was such a change, and I was surprised how the sensations I had been experiencing prior to that were what I considered “normal” even though they were not. Also prior to that, I had many bowel movements, typically 4-5 within a 1-2 hour time frame before even going to work. I was eating a decent amount of fiber but this much BM seemed like a lot.

I quit the Omeprazole after 2 weeks but continued to lay off coffee and beer. I did notice that my throat sensations were significantly decreased in that period of time, however I began to notice that after eating anything (even a few bites of white rice, for example), within a minute or two I would get this sour taste in the back of my mouth. The taste would basically be present throughout the day but definitely increased after eating. If I ate a large “bad” meal like Chinese food sweet and sour chicken, I would feel my throat tighten up within 10-15 minutes after the meal, my voice would get weaker.

These days (about 4 months after the 2 week trial of Omeprazole), I continue to have the sour taste after eating, and have also noticed CHILLS/goosebumps that are associated with my stomach. When I first start eating, I will feel chills that seem to emanate from my center. Also when I have BMs, I will typically experience chills afterwards. Earlier this week I had apparently upset my stomach with something, had a stomach ache all day and LOTS of chills.

I have been back to the primary care doctor who referred me to a gastroenterologist. I have seen the gastro once, told him about my chills, and he said since I don’t have a fever it was nothing to worry about. But I think it has to tie in with this reflux issue somehow since for me they are associated with eating and BMs.

I am scheduled next week for manometry and a 24 hour PH study, I will report back here.

I would love to get some insight from you all in terms of what might cause chills, and some type of sour fluid reflux (even present while on Omeprazole) even after a tiny snack. I have read that chills are associated with gallbladder, but I usually read about them along with gallbladder pain which I do not have. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: chills/mild reflux without heartburn?

Hi,
I sometimes have Reflux but never get heartburn. I have a Hiatal-Hernia and IBS.
When you get the sour taste in your mouth does it feel like your food is regurgitating because that sounds very much like Reflux.
Have you been tested for H.Pylori, I had similar symptoms with that.I have no answer for the chills, Ive not experienced that.
I wish you well and do report back after your test.

Solofelix.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
(male)

drinsac HB User

Hi Solifelix. I do not feel any regurgitation (or strong acid taste) when I have the sour taste.

I know when I have had upset stomach sometimes in the past, I have felt regurgitation and tasted a very acidy taste in my mouth, but this is definitely sour, not acidic, and no feeling of regurgitation.

I was experiencing some weird "gut" feeling in early 2011, and I had an h pylori stool test that came out negative. I've read that the stool is a good test, but that it might be invalid if the person is on antibiotics. Since I was on the clindamycin gel for years by that point, I have wondered if that didn't affect the result (and my doctors do not believe that topical clindamycin gets absorbed internally, very frustrating). I did find one journal paper which said that clindamycin was not effective against h. pylori, so that may be some indication that even if the clindamycin was affecting my gut, it might not affect the stool test.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
(female)

dlj9763 HB User

I don't have any answers for you but I thought it might be helpful to share that I had experienced chills after bowel movements as well (this has happened in the middle of the night). As background, I have experienced a wide variety of symptoms since before Christmas and am seeing a GI doc right now and have no answers. Several of the things you said resonated with me so I thought I would share that you are not the only one. Don't have the sour taste; rather I have experienced nausea/lightheadedness (almost a "spell") after eating and/or drinking water; a lump in my throat that wouldn't go away; and a number of other things. My number of "normal" bowel movements has for a long time been similar to what you described (which seems like IBS now that I know about that). It might be of interest that in the past two weeks I have pretty dramatically changed my diet--gave up wheat/gluten, coffee, and cow's milk products -- also mostly vegetarian but that is unrelated -- and it has really helped my symptoms. It's pretty dramatic to change one's diet to that extent, but I found I was feeling pretty bad and was willing to try any suggestion to improve things. Things have improved -- still waiting for GI to weigh in on test results for who knows what -- but the diet has helped a lot. Coincidental? I don't know but I really like feeling better so sticking with it for now. FYI I am a 48 year old woman in good physical shape and with a healthy diet...so in a differnt life stage from you but pretty "young" for my age. :-)

Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
(male)

drinsac HB User

Hi all, it's been a while and wanted to update.

Still having symptoms. I had a manometry (swallow test) and 24 hour PH study. The swallow test showed things were working normally, normal LES function, no hiatal hernia.

The 24 hour PH study showed that for all the measurements they do, I have values in the "average" range -- by average, I mean I looked up values for healthy subjects, and I was right at or below the average.. like acid exposure time, # of episodes etc. My Demeester score was like 4.3. A "positive" score is 14.7. The person who interpreted the data looked at only 2 of my symptoms -- belching (I had 104 belches, 5x what is normal) and sour taste. The data showed that when I had those symptoms, I tended to have a weakly acid reflux. SO their recommendation was to maximize acid suppression therapy.

I don't get that at all since I have normal values on the PH test. My gastro doc said that it meant I (my system) was highly sensitive. BS.

On that visit, I explained to my doc some other symptoms such as burning in stomach, waking up with burning in stomach, NO heartburn. He said they usually give acid suppression for that, but I kept pushing the ulcer symptoms and finally he asked me if I wanted to have an endoscopy. I felt victorious when he finally suggested that, since my PCP has been suggesting that since the beginning when my first trial of Omeprazole resulted in sour taste.

I think there is something going on in my gut, I believe it's an ulcer. I will have my endoscopy in about a month and will post back, in the meantime I am going to get back on acid reducers so at least what I do reflux now and then wont be acidic.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
An Ulcer is possible I had one myself it caused a lot of pain and nausea.
Mine was caused by H.Pylori which showed up with an Endoscopy.
I have had three Endoscopys they are nothing to fear.
Hope you find an answer after yours.
All the best,

Solofelix

Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
(female)

MsAnonymous HB User

While I can't provide you with any reason why you might be getting chills, I can tell you that I too get them. I suffer from GERD and IBS. I find when my GERD is at it's worse, I get inexplicable chills. I also get them after a bout of being trapped in the bathroom with IBS. I wish I knew a scientific reason while it occurred, but you're not alone in feeling them.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
(male)

drinsac HB User

Well I visited my PCP today, and took with me some printouts from Dr. Mirkin's website, saying that all cases of belching with burning stomach/sour taste should be treated with antibiotics that are used against H. Pylori, even if the H. Pylori test comes back negative. This is because there are other bacteria it will kill which the pylori test doesn't catch. I am hoping that the chills I have had since having the other symptoms signify an infection.

Here is the main article but there are several pylori/ulcer articles on his site that are good stuff:
http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/G123.htm

I felt so great that my doctor actually sat there and read what I brought to her, and decided we should give this a go. So she prescribed me 3 different antibiotics to be taken in a sequential fashion over 10 days, taking omeprazole morning and night for all those days.

Here's hoping it works. I will update as things change or after my endoscopy which I am going to have done whether the meds help me or not.

Last edited by drinsac; 03-09-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
(male)

drinsac HB User

Finally had my endoscopy today. The finding was a 1cm hiatal hernia (the dr. seemed to indicate that it was very small) and some other findings consistent with acid reflux.

Finally it seems my sour taste/reflux has an identified cause. And it seems to explain why the acid medications do not help me with the sour taste and belching.

After I hear of my final results from him, I plan to pursue surgical intervention for this. I do not want to be on PPIs forever, and I do not want to continue to live with a sour taste and belching forever either.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
(male)

drinsac HB User

The biopsy came back and indicated "chronic gastritis" for the stomach biopsy.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
I'm pleased that at last you have an answer. I also have a Hiatal-Hernia (dont know its size) but I burp an awful lot whether I eat or drink.
MY H.H also causes shortness of breath. Do you have any pains or discomfort in your stomach?
I have Gerd after treatment a year and a half ago for H.Pylori and I constantly get a gnawing type pain in my stomach. I take Nexium as and when needed.
What have you been prescribed for your Gastritis. I have had an Ulcer over a year ago so I just have to beware.

Solofelix.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
(male)

drinsac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi,
I'm pleased that at last you have an answer. I also have a Hiatal-Hernia (dont know its size) but I burp an awful lot whether I eat or drink.
MY H.H also causes shortness of breath. Do you have any pains or discomfort in your stomach?
I have Gerd after treatment a year and a half ago for H.Pylori and I constantly get a gnawing type pain in my stomach. I take Nexium as and when needed.
What have you been prescribed for your Gastritis. I have had an Ulcer over a year ago so I just have to beware.

Solofelix.
The gastro doc didn't prescribe me anything for gastritis, he just said generically "follow anti-reflux measures" which doesn't help.

I think I'll email him to ask him how I can heal this, and see what he says.

I have put myself back on omeprazole/prilosec (generic prescription variety), 2x a day. I found a japanese case study of a woman who was cured of sour taste in mouth after 6 weeks of 2x a day PPIs.

Either way I think PPIs are part of the solution to gastritis. My diet has been pretty good but I am cleaning it up even more now, I'm going to eat smaller meals. And I am supplementing with "gastrosmooth" which is zinc l-carnosine 2 pills 2x a day. That is supposed to be good for the stomach lining. and using L-glutamine powder between meals.

My main symptoms now, and I have been on this 2x omeprazole routine for 5 days now, are sour taste and chills. I hardly ever get any stomach "pain" but it does feel uneasy from time to time, I think that's when it's refluxing. Im starting to wonder if my drinking tapwater at home could be irritating the stomach.. but I think the most likely suspect in causing my gastritis is that topical antibiotic I was using for acne for many years nonstop. Quit that about 6-8 months ago.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
(male)

drinsac HB User

I emailed my dr. for any other things I could do, and he said I could take the omeprazole 2x a day, 30 minutes before first meal and dinner. Which is what I was doing, so I guess I am on the right track.

For anyone interested in the sour taste study, here is the info and abstract:

A decade-long sour-taste sensation successfully treated with
a proton-pump inhibitor
N. MANTANI*, K. ITO*, T. KOGURE*, A. HOSHINO†, E. KAWADA†, H. SAKAMOTO†,
K. FUJITA†& J. TAMURA†
Departments of *Integrated Japanese Oriental Medicine and †General Medicine, Gunma University
School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan

SUMMARY We report a case study of a 54-year-old
Japanese woman who persistently suffered from a
sour-taste sensation in her mouth for 10 years, and
was treated with a proton-pump inhibitor (PPI). She
found sour-tasting meals irritable, and after eating
such meals the sour-taste sensation worsened. She
also complained of eructation and regurgitation.
Upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy showed duodenal
erosion, superficial gastritis, and erosive
oesophagitis. After 2 weeks of PPI therapy (lansoprazole,
30 mg day-1) the sour taste subjectively
decreased to 70%, and after 6 weeks the symptoms
disappeared. In addition to increased sensitivity of
the mouth, gastro-oesophageal reflux might have
created her obstinate sour-taste sensations. It is
suggested that in such cases PPI therapy should be
attempted.
KEYWORDS: sour taste, proton-pump inhibitor, lansoprazole,
gastro-oesophageal reflux disease