It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
(male)

dragunfleye HB User
Near total FAT INTOLERANCE

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

For the last 13 months I have been unable to digest fat in any form. It started as really greasy stuff... fried foods, butter, cheese, etc., but has become worse. I am to the point now where even boneless/skinless chicken breast is being rejected. My most visible symptom is steatorrhea (a high-volume, greasy bowel movement... mine is usually off in color as well; typically a burnt orange). Up until now I have simply avoided the foods that made me ill and eaten mainly raw foods. I should add that digestive cramps, bloating and nausea are all rather intense if I ingest foods with fat.

My two primary concerns are: long term complications due to malnutrition; and the fact that this condition appears to be becoming more sensitive as time passes.

I HAVE been to my doctor, several times. I am a 28 y/o Iraq veteran and VA patient. Other than my VA benefits I have no health insurance. Basic inconclusive tests have been run... My lipase (pancreatic enzyme that aids in the digestion of fat) levels are normal. This doctor appears to be WAY overloaded with patients and affords me little time or concern. It is 8 weeks between appointments with my next one scheduled for the end of March.

Hopefully someone can relate to this experience? Any advice or input will be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
(female)

Mandee7 HB User
Re: Near total FAT INTOLERANCE

Hi, I completely understand what you're going through! I've had this issue for about 6 months and I can't tolerate any fat whatsoever. I was diagnosed with malabsorption because of constant steatorrhea, but pancreatic enzymes were normal like yours. Doctors have no idea what's wrong, are very slow, and are not helping me at all. I see all of my appointments as a huge waste of time and money, so I'm forced to be my own doctor to figure this out.

I have searched hours upon hours, reading books, medical journals, and internet searches, and cannot find much information in regards to fat intolerance. However, anything that I find is pointing to a problem with the liver. So, when you go to your next appointment, tell them that you want them to check your liver completely. I will be doing the same in a few weeks.

In my opinion, the best thing for you too do it cut out all fat, but take an enteric coated fish oil suppliment so you can still get some good fats into your diet. Renew Life has a product called Norwegian Gold and it contains lipase to digest the fats inside the capsule and it bypasses the stomach and liver. I take two of those a day and have no issue with them. If I took fish oil in liquid form, I would feel sick, so I know that this suppliment will be okay with you also.

If chicken breast is bothering you, you can try boiling it, and that should help get rid of most of the fat content. I was ok with chicken, but only if it was boneless, skinless, and boiled for an hour or so. Another great protein source is cold processed whey protein isolate. It contains no fat, lactose, or casein, so it is very easy to digest and very good at increasing the immune system and adding muscle to the bones.

You should be able to make up for the calorie loss by eating more carbohydrates like whole grain bread (not refined) and potatoes, and 0% fat yogurt (made by Stoneyfield Organic), and other high calorie foods like bananas and honey (unless you have a candida problem).

I hope this helps Let's keep in touch!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandee7 For This Useful Post:
dragunfleye (01-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Please push to have your gallbladder checked!

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
dragunfleye (01-30-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
(male)

doubleaaaron79 HB User

First, if you have Mal-absorbtion It is almost always a sign your pancreas is not digesting properly. There can be things causing your pancreas to do that such as stones and blockages or bile duct problems. It also means nothing that your enzymes have been normal. Most people that have pancreatitis never have high enzymes. My ex had her pancreas removed from having such bad pancreatitis and she never had high enzymes. I on the other hand have had pancreatitis for years and have had high enzymes show up. Not often but they have been high. Have you tried any digestive enzymes? You can get them at health marts and places like that and also online. One of the good ones is megazymes. They work really well. The prescribed ones are better, but if you have no insurance or dr ordering them then you wont be able to get them. If you take enough of the enzymes you should be able to eat whatever you want. I am the same way. If I eat fatty, greasy food with out my enzymes, I get sick and have pains. so hopefully you can get some relief from using them.

The Following User Says Thank You to doubleaaaron79 For This Useful Post:
dragunfleye (01-30-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
(female)

Melandjer HB UserMelandjer HB User

Please ask to be checked for Celiac disease. I too thought that fat was the culprit and cut out fried foods, beef, pork. But gluten seems to be my issue. I am recently diagnosed but feel so much better with the change in diet.......don't suffer!

Closed Thread