It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
(male)

88til HB User
Concerns about psyllium obstructing my bowels...

I originally started taking psyllium sometime of October 2011.. For the most part, I defecate regularly (once a day) but wanted to soften up my stools a bit because sometimes, I would be constipated.. And in addition, I wasn't eating too many fruits..

For the 2 months or so I was using psyllium, I know that I wasn't drinking enough water to go along w/ it & I'm afraid that it might've caused a blockage in my intestines - I read that it can harden & cause an obstruction if you don't take enough water with it. From the day I stopped taking it til now, I have intermittent stomach cramps/pressure & it feels as though there is an object stuck in my lower abdomen (particularly on the left side, right next to my belly button). As the day progresses, I tend to feel it more. Unfortunately, I didn't realize til after the fact that I needed to consume lots & lots of water to go along w/ the psyllium.

I went to a local health clinic to get it checked out, & the doctor ran a fecal occult blood test & an abdominal x-ray on me... Both tests came out negative & she told me that there was probably trapped air in my intestines or that I was just probably really stressed out from studying for my nursing exam the past few months. Unfortunately, I don't have any health insurance so any further tests that could be done are out of the picture due to the significant costs & until I find a job as a nurse.

It took me a while to piece things together but before I even started taking the psyllium, I had never had any pain in my lower abdomen - Everything felt fine! I really feel that the psyllium has caused this problem... I've stopped taking it since November & I still feel this weird sensation/pressure/pain. I'm really hoping that this hasn't blocked my intestines or that if I wait long enough, it'll get worse.

What can I do to flush the psyllium out of my intestines? I really do feel like it is stuck there & giving me this weird discomfort. Any help, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Concerns about psyllium obstructing my bowels...

Hi,
I was recomended the same when I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis. It altered my bowel movements completely, I went from everyday bowel movement to constipation. I left the Physillium off and added Prunes and Figs to my daily diet.
I have never had problems since.
I have Prunes/Prune Juice everyday and have regular/normal movements. Also include fruit and veg daily in your diet.
Some people need to increase their Fibre intake but dont realise that it can have the opposite effect and should be adjusted accordingly.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
88til (02-07-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

You could also try taking a stool softener, like colace.

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
88til (02-07-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88til View Post
I originally started taking psyllium sometime of October 2011.. For the most part, I defecate regularly (once a day) but wanted to soften up my stools a bit because sometimes, I would be constipated.. And in addition, I wasn't eating too many fruits..

For the 2 months or so I was using psyllium, I know that I wasn't drinking enough water to go along w/ it & I'm afraid that it might've caused a blockage in my intestines - I read that it can harden & cause an obstruction if you don't take enough water with it. From the day I stopped taking it til now, I have intermittent stomach cramps/pressure & it feels as though there is an object stuck in my lower abdomen (particularly on the left side, right next to my belly button). As the day progresses, I tend to feel it more. Unfortunately, I didn't realize til after the fact that I needed to consume lots & lots of water to go along w/ the psyllium.

I went to a local health clinic to get it checked out, & the doctor ran a fecal occult blood test & an abdominal x-ray on me... Both tests came out negative & she told me that there was probably trapped air in my intestines or that I was just probably really stressed out from studying for my nursing exam the past few months. Unfortunately, I don't have any health insurance so any further tests that could be done are out of the picture due to the significant costs & until I find a job as a nurse.

It took me a while to piece things together but before I even started taking the psyllium, I had never had any pain in my lower abdomen - Everything felt fine! I really feel that the psyllium has caused this problem... I've stopped taking it since November & I still feel this weird sensation/pressure/pain. I'm really hoping that this hasn't blocked my intestines or that if I wait long enough, it'll get worse.

What can I do to flush the psyllium out of my intestines? I really do feel like it is stuck there & giving me this weird discomfort. Any help, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Try drinking lots of plain warmed water in the microwave and then an 8 oz. glass of warmed prune juice for 3 days in a row. If you're brave enough to try to swallow down some mineral oil or 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, The oil will probably work faster and more thoroughly but you better plan to stay home near a toilet because it will probably totally clean you out like your prepping for a colonoscopy. Keep drinking water to hep move things along quicker. The other method is to take Citrate of Magnesium.

The following user gives a hug of support to flipfleury:
88til (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
(male)

88til HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
Try drinking lots of plain warmed water in the microwave and then an 8 oz. glass of warmed prune juice for 3 days in a row. If you're brave enough to try to swallow down some mineral oil or 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, The oil will probably work faster and more thoroughly but you better plan to stay home near a toilet because it will probably totally clean you out like your prepping for a colonoscopy. Keep drinking water to hep move things along quicker. The other method is to take Citrate of Magnesium.
Hey there,

I appreciate you sharing all of the above! I will definitely give that a try ASAP. Has this happened to you or anyone you know before?

In regards to the mineral/olive oil, how often would I have to take that?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
(male)

88til HB User

Does anyone know if the psyllium is more likely to get stuck & harden in my small intestines or colon?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

My dad used to take psyllium every day. He ended up with a blockage of the small intestine (18 inches became necrotic). He tried to ignore the symptoms and waited too long. I am a nurse in long term care, and you don't see much metamucil being prescribed anymore. We use a lot of miralax, and citracel.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
(male)

88til HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
My dad used to take psyllium every day. He ended up with a blockage of the small intestine (18 inches became necrotic). He tried to ignore the symptoms and waited too long. I am a nurse in long term care, and you don't see much metamucil being prescribed anymore. We use a lot of miralax, and citracel.
If you don't mind me asking, how did your father go about the whole situation?

I feel that may be the case w/ me.. I've also been reading up on intestinal bezoars & how they are caused by things such as psyllium. Now, I regret even taking it in the first place - I would've been better off just eating more fruits & vegetables and of course, exercising.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

My dad would not go to doctors. He had divertiulitis which we didn't know until the autopsy. He took metamucil everyday for probably a few years. He developed right sided abdominal pain, which only his best friend knew about. That probably went on for a year before he developed severe flu like symptoms. After a week of diarrhea, (nothing solid was passing anymore) he collapsed and ended up in the hospital. They removed 18 inches of dead intestine and put in two ostomies. He went through 5 surgeries in a week, but his liver had become infected and wouldn't stop bleeding. He became septic and died. If he had seen a doctor when the pain started, I'm sure they could have done more for him. They can't see the small intestine with the endoscope, but they can do ultrasounds, and they use capsule endoscopies (swallowing a capsule with a camera in it). Good luck, and be proactive!

Closed Thread