It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

RunningGirl7 HB User
Please Help... Gas!

Hi All,
I am going crazy and hoping that someone may have some advice for me.

I am a 28 year old healthy female...or used to be. I don't drink coffee, alcohol, smoke..I am a huge runner..and eat VERY healthy. Prior to this experience I have never had any stomach issues at all.

About 3 months ago I started feeling extreme Nausea. I had no appetite and couldn’t even look at food...out of the blue. I would take two bites of food and feel full and burp and pass gas. My stomach sounded like there was a party going on even when I was drinking water. I also had a really bad sore throat, hoarseness, and cough.

I went to my primary care doctors three times and each time they told me I just had a viral infection. Finally they sent me to a GI. I had an endoscope and the doctor diagnosed me with mild gastritis and esophagitis. Gave me 40mg of prilosec and said it should go away in two weeks. About three weeks later I started having stabbing pains in my side. They did an Ultrasound to look at my GB and said everything was fine.

The priolosec did cure the Nausea and lessen the burping. My throat is still sore; I have constant achy abdominal pain, and have gas like you wouldn't believe!! Sometimes I fart more than 100 times a day! I eat like a bird..rice, spinach, apples, chicken, coconut water, and I have cut out gluten and dairy from my diet and nothing seems to help it. It's strange because I seem to be fine in the morning. It doesn’t seem to start till about 12 - 1pm depending on what time I ate breakfast. I am also taking Ultimate Flora 50 billion (pribotic) and Hycolcymine for the abdominal pain.

The doctor said my throat will take about 6 months to a year before it might feel normal again which is not good for my marathon training. I was also tested for Celiac and all the other blood tests but all was negative. He said it wasn’t a parasite because My BM were on track with once a day even though they were harder than usual. I am assuming because I am not getting the nutrients I need with what I am eating. Since I started the Hycolomine they have lessened so I think that might be causing me constipation.
Anyway, the gas is driving me nuts! I am so embarrassed during work and meetings. I travel for my job and it's impossible to eat. I have been writing a food diary and there seems to be no food that triggers it. I can eat something one day and be fine and the next day my stomach goes crazy. I don't have anxiety and I am not stressed (other than this).

Could the gas be related to the gastritis or is there another problem? IBS? Has anyone else had gas with gastritis. Does it ever go away? How long does it take? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just want to figure out what is causing this! I am having a breath test for SIBO in two weeks but that doesn’t look like a pleasant or curable either.

Thanks,

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
(male)

Jjohnelder6 HB User
Re: Please Help... Gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl7 View Post
Hi All,

I am a 28 year old healthy female...or used to be. I don't drink coffee, alcohol, smoke..I am a huge runner..and eat VERY healthy. Prior to this experience I have never had any stomach issues at all.

About 3 months ago I started feeling extreme Nausea. I had no appetite and couldn’t even look at food...out of the blue. I would take two bites of food and feel full and burp and pass gas. My stomach sounded like there was a party going on even when I was drinking water. I also had a really bad sore throat, hoarseness, and cough.

I went to my primary care doctors three times and each time they told me I just had a viral infection. Finally they sent me to a GI. I had an endoscope and the doctor diagnosed me with mild gastritis and esophagitis. Gave me 40mg of prilosec and said it should go away in two weeks. About three weeks later I started having stabbing pains in my side. They did an Ultrasound to look at my GB and said everything was fine.

The priolosec did cure the Nausea and lessen the burping. My throat is still sore; I have constant achy abdominal pain, and have gas like you wouldn't believe!! Sometimes I fart more than 100 times a day! I eat like a bird..rice, spinach, apples, chicken, coconut water, and I have cut out gluten and dairy from my diet and nothing seems to help it. It's strange because I seem to be fine in the morning. It doesn’t seem to start till about 12 - 1pm depending on what time I ate breakfast. I am also taking Ultimate Flora 50 billion (pribotic) and Hycolcymine for the abdominal pain.

The doctor said my throat will take about 6 months to a year before it might feel normal again which is not good for my marathon training. I was also tested for Celiac and all the other blood tests but all was negative. He said it wasn’t a parasite because My BM were on track with once a day even though they were harder than usual. I am assuming because I am not getting the nutrients I need with what I am eating. Since I started the Hycolomine they have lessened so I think that might be causing me constipation.
Anyway, the gas is driving me nuts! I am so embarrassed during work and meetings. I travel for my job and it's impossible to eat. I have been writing a food diary and there seems to be no food that triggers it. I can eat something one day and be fine and the next day my stomach goes crazy. I don't have anxiety and I am not stressed (other than this).

Could the gas be related to the gastritis or is there another problem? IBS? Has anyone else had gas with gastritis. Does it ever go away? How long does it take? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just want to figure out what is causing this! I am having a breath test for SIBO in two weeks but that doesn’t look like a pleasant or curable either.

Thanks,

Sue

Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
(male)

Jjohnelder6 HB User
Re: Please Help... Gas!

I think I have finally found the answer to this issue of waking up gasping for air. I have been experiencing this for years and found the solution by accident.
My wife and I bought a sleep number bed. A bit on the pricey side but we got the base unit with the Bed that raises your head above your stomach. I raise mine about 8 inches at night. I no longer wake up gasping for air and my excessive belching is gone! Thank the Lord!

I think that my stomach acid sat in my throat all night long. I rarely tasted acid but I was constantly clearing my throat during the day. Also excessive burping gas gave me pressure that eventually turned into anxiety attacks.

Guys, all these issues have cleared up. I tried the books under the head of the bed but that wasn't enough height. You do not have to buy a sleep number bed but the cool thing is it bends at the waiste area so you don't slide down the bed at night.

Anyway, I always had a pact with others....whoever found the answer to this debilitating set of circumstances would post it on the boards for others to benefit from. It only took me about 16 years of suffering but here it is.

I hope this helps Assuming it does, please do pass this on to other boards to help others and or friends that are suffering from this same issue.
God Bless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl7 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks,

Sue

Closed Thread