It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
(female)

WVgal HB User
17 Days Post Niessen

I had a lap niessen on 1/18/12 to correct a moderate hiatal hernia that had my stomach up in my esophagous. My primary symptom was severe asthmatic coughing and spontaneous vomiting, never any heartburn. My lungs, vocal cords, and sinuses took a beating over the 7 1/2 years since this began.

In the hospital, I had remarkable relief from the coughing but my oxygen was low. I believe I have learned to breathe shallowly to prevent coughing. When I came home, I ate a couple of chocolates and had an intense day of coughing, just like before. Then a few good days. With my doctor's approval, I moved on to tiny, well-chewed bites of foods, followed with lots of water. No issues swallowing, no pain, just get full quickly. However, a few days of this and I again had some severe coughing sprees/bad days. I've been home from work the last few days, soft foods again, and it is subsiding.

Has anyone here had coughing as their primary symptom, and how has your recovery been? Is it common to still have some of the same issues as before the surgery during this time frame? Does it gradually improve over time, or is my surgery a failure? Feeling rather discouraged and hungry. :-)

Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 17 Days Post Niessen

You know, right around the time I reintroduced soft foods, I had a bout of reflux for a few days. Seems to have gone away, though. It might be connected to difficulty swallowing, which is normal at this stage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
(female)

WVgal HB User
Re: 17 Days Post Niessen

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
You know, right around the time I reintroduced soft foods, I had a bout of reflux for a few days. Seems to have gone away, though. It might be connected to difficulty swallowing, which is normal at this stage.
I actually do not experience difficulty swallowing - at least no pain, no food getting stuck, etc. And I never had heartburn, just the coughing as my main symptom of acid. Anyway, it is good to know that someone else seemed to "regress" into pre-surgery symptoms.

Thank you for your response.

Closed Thread