It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
(male)

notafan HB User
EGD Alternatives

Hi everyone,
Due to chronic constipation (going to the bathroom 1x a week generally), I took it upon myself to see a GI doctor last week. After the exam, he determined my problem is likely due to stress - which makes sense. My symptoms are only present Monday-Friday, bowels more normal on weekends, etc.

He asked if I had any difficulties swallowing, and generally I don't.. I tend to eat really fast and frequent, and there are certain foods I'll need something to drink to help "get down", etc.. but in general, I just didn't want to say "no" for fear of ignoring this. I believe it was this reason he ordered an EGD for next Friday (nearly a week away). They could have gotten me in the following day, but due to the fact I need a ride, that was too soon. Now I'm wishing I had made it for that day instead...

I've never been put to sleep for anything, and I am on an MAOI inhibitor (Nardil). At first, I feared Nardil would possibly interact with the medicine they gave me to put me to sleep (Propofol), but it appears there is no interaction. Next, I worried about breathing, etc... I've just been driving myself nuts over this for days now. The fact I'm on an MAOI makes things a bit more tricky, but it doesn't appear this should be an issue. I am just worried about this 'operation' now and I really don't want to have it.. and the more and more I think about it, I'm wondering if it's even necessary... or if maybe I should ask about alternatives?

I know I'm going to drive them nuts if I call and ask about alternatives.. but this whole situation is stressing me out pretty badly... (If stress is causing me issues, I don't need more of it!). If I knew I needed this operation 100%, I'd probably try to stick it out.. but I'm thinking that all this worrying is really for nothing, and if I should ask about other options... but I don't want to "run away" from something that's needed just because I'm afraid... you know what I mean? I think I just have a fear of getting put to sleep... and the Nardil only makes it worse. My mother had the same issue when she was in the hospital a couple years ago, and I've had one scary instance at a dentist's office involving a shot because the dentist was careless, and it interacted with my MAOI... which I think is fueling all of this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
(male)

doubleaaaron79 HB User
Re: EGD Alternatives

First thing is and ill just be blunt cause thats how I am. you worry way too much. If you tell the dr what your on and take at home the should know what to do about that. dentists don't really pay as much attention plus your in a hospital. It's not surgery anyways. The medicine they use isn't the same as a major surgery. It lighter. if your always constipated id have it done. Ive had many and I woke up like nothing happened. its so simple any easy. if you can try not to worry about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to doubleaaaron79 For This Useful Post:
notafan (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: EGD Alternatives

Are we talking about upper endoscopy? Where they lightly sedate you and check your stomach with a tube? That's not a big deal.

If they don't know about your medications already, call and ask. They can find something that won't interact negatively with what you are already taking. This sort of problem comes up all the time, and the doctor can handle it.

This is NOT general anesthesia, it's a medicine that puts you into a light sleep. I've had upper endoscopy 4 times in my life.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
notafan (02-13-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
alternatives, egd