Sour/Bitter/Metallic taste in mouth
As to my father's ailment,
- he has not had any recent changes in his chronic medication that may explain the symptoms (he's been taking prophylactic aspirin, simvastatin for high cholesterol, and amlodipine for essential hypertension, all for years now);
- the strange burning / bitter taste symptom started quite suddenly several weeks ago; it is not present in the mornings and for variable periods of time (usually hours) after awakening, but then its starts emanating as if from between the teeth, then the palate feels like rough and burning;
- there are no objective signs of Candida in his mouth - the dentist /maxillofacial surgeon sees no gum or teeth problems; additionally, empirical treatment with oral antifungal mothwashes (bicarbonate and nystatin for 2-3 weeks) was completely inefficacious;
- gastrointestinal work-up led to the discovery of a 5-cm hiatal hernia, but treatment with various drugs (proton pump inhibitors, Gaviscone) given for weeks now has brought about absolutely no change in his mouth feeling / taste complaint; thus, the hiatal hernia and the putative gastroesophageal reflux (if he has it ? no classic symptoms thereof exist anyway), seems not to be the cause of the odd taste and burning sensation in the mouth;
- I stumbled on the description of a so-called "burning mouth syndrome" He consulted a retired neurologist friend, but he'd never heard of it; he said that "if neuropathy, it should respond to gabapentine", which he prescribed empirically and my father started taking - so far to no avail;
- another doctor mentioned the possibility of xerostomia as the cause, and the possibility of Sjogren syndrome - but he has no dry eyes, or any other symptoms except the terrible strange burning / bitter taste in the mouth, which is is not constant throughout the day, again, usually absent in the morning).
In conclusion, I'd appreciate any cogent input from board members who may have had any experience with such a bizarre burning / bitter mouth sensation.
Last edited by Administrator; 02-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.