It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
(male)

falingo HB User
Sour/Bitter/Metallic taste in mouth

As to my father's ailment,
- he has not had any recent changes in his chronic medication that may explain the symptoms (he's been taking prophylactic aspirin, simvastatin for high cholesterol, and amlodipine for essential hypertension, all for years now);
- the strange burning / bitter taste symptom started quite suddenly several weeks ago; it is not present in the mornings and for variable periods of time (usually hours) after awakening, but then its starts emanating as if from between the teeth, then the palate feels like rough and burning;
- there are no objective signs of Candida in his mouth - the dentist /maxillofacial surgeon sees no gum or teeth problems; additionally, empirical treatment with oral antifungal mothwashes (bicarbonate and nystatin for 2-3 weeks) was completely inefficacious;
- gastrointestinal work-up led to the discovery of a 5-cm hiatal hernia, but treatment with various drugs (proton pump inhibitors, Gaviscone) given for weeks now has brought about absolutely no change in his mouth feeling / taste complaint; thus, the hiatal hernia and the putative gastroesophageal reflux (if he has it ? no classic symptoms thereof exist anyway), seems not to be the cause of the odd taste and burning sensation in the mouth;
- I stumbled on the description of a so-called "burning mouth syndrome" He consulted a retired neurologist friend, but he'd never heard of it; he said that "if neuropathy, it should respond to gabapentine", which he prescribed empirically and my father started taking - so far to no avail;
- another doctor mentioned the possibility of xerostomia as the cause, and the possibility of Sjogren syndrome - but he has no dry eyes, or any other symptoms except the terrible strange burning / bitter taste in the mouth, which is is not constant throughout the day, again, usually absent in the morning).

In conclusion, I'd appreciate any cogent input from board members who may have had any experience with such a bizarre burning / bitter mouth sensation.

Thank you
falingo

Last edited by Administrator; 02-12-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
(female)

CadillacCowgirl HB User
Re: Sour/Bitter/Metallic taste in mouth

Falingo, I feel for your dad. I have suffered with Burning Mouth Syndrome for 7 years. Your father's symptoms sound like it is what he is suffering from - and I do mean "suffering." When I have a flair, by the evening, I want to reach in and RIP my tongue out, it is so bad. I was initially given hydrocodone 10/325 - Trileptal (to help calm the nerves) - and Cymbalta because the depression was pretty severe. (I developed facial neuralgia and the BMS from an incompetent dentist and it was difficult to believe that someone I trusted could do what he did to me.)

Gabapentin will not work. The trileptal combination helped but the side effects were getting worse and I finally had to quit it. The Cymbalta was bad on me after a couple years useage.

The hydrocodone helps with the facial neuralgia flairs but nothing has worked to help the BMS except methadone. After 8 months I developed a terrible side effect from that and now I have been switched to another med to try.

I actually get some relief from sucking on hard candies or those starlight mints. My neurologist tells me that nerves can't send two signals at once and the candy will override the burning for a short time. Try it for your dad and my prayers go out to him.

Closed Thread