It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
(female)

Kelly2737 HB User
Constant bloating/constipation/heartburn months after stomach infection

Hi all! I am desperate to find someone out there with the same symptoms as me, or even the same scenario!I was a very healthy, fit 26 year old female who ate very healthy and exercised regularly. I consumed alot of fiber everyday including flaxseed and had clean, healthy bowel movements 3-4 times a day.

June 2011 after 2 days of not eating much due to being so busy, I ate soup for dinner on the second day and my stomach blew up and I had major gas and stomach discomfort. From then on I became extremely bloated, gassy, constipated and uncomfortable after EVERYTHING I ate (even hot water and lemon juice). (I guess I should add that the 2-3 months prior to June I had a somewhat crappy diet). About 2 weeks after it all started I went on vacation and I bought peppermint oil, grapefruit seed extract, and meijer double release digestive enzymes. I took one of each with anything I ate and it seemed to keep things under control but not entirely. When I finally did start having bowel movements, they were infrequent and pale greenish colored and looked like clay. About a month after this began I saw my general doctor. We both suspected it may be SIBO because of similar symptoms, but never confirmed it. He gave me Cipro 500 once a day for 5 days and I immediately got relief but I still had less extreme bloating, indigestion, and stomach cramps after eating many foods. My blood was tested and all of my results, including enzyme levels, came back normal.

I have improved very slowly from July 2011 until now (Feb 2012). I have taken probiotics and turmeric and l-glutamine consistently since July. In December I had a abdominal ultrasound, hydrogen breath test (no yeast or lactose intolerance), allergy test, and gastroscopy(no celiac)....the only abnormality was mild discoloration in esophagus from acid reflux. Dr. gave me prilosec but it only increased my reflux. I stopped it after a few days and began ACV which helped significantly and I stopped it after 2 or 3 weeks.
Throughout the past months though, I'm still gassy (usually no smell) and my stomach is still mildly bloated 24/7 and it does get more bloated throughout the day, the more I eat (although the bloating never gets as extreme as it was last June). When I flex my abdominal muscles, my stomach is as flat and toned as it was before last June. Then I relax it and it looks like I'm 5 months pregnant. I still have less frequent bowel movements then before june, sometimes going 2 small amounts a day to going up to 2 days without a BM! And the color goes betw light orangey brown and dark orangey brown, both have much more undigested pieces in them than when i was healthy. Also, fiber constipates me no matter how much water i drink! (i have tried colon cleanses). I did have a colon hydrotherapy session but was still bloated after.

Suspected low stomach acid as I have alot of the symptoms (including adult acne and often bad breath) and started on betaine HCI but haven't noticed much benefit and haven't even felt a warm/burning sensation yet.

Throughout this all I have experimented with supplements such as caprylic acid, turmeric, digest gold enzymes(which I found made things worse), and activated charcoal,

Anyone familiar with these symptoms or been through this? Is it possible my stomach always be bloated like this from now on? Has that initial infection damaged me indefinitely?? I'm desperate for answers that doctors can't give me but people who've been through it can! I appreciate all answers and opinions!! Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Constant bloating/constipation/heartburn months after stomach infection

Try taking acidophilus 3 times a day to help get the good bacteria back into the colon after using the antibiotics. I have had constipation problems all my life and the only I have found that keeps my bowels moving is to have a set time everyday to sit on the toilet to have a bowel movement. I continuously do slow deep breathing exercises until I have had a bowel movement. Sometimes it can take up to 30 minutes before I move my bowels or as little as 5 minutes depending upon how much water and fiber I got into my body the day before. Sometimes sitting on the toilet 20 minutes after breakfast works the best because eating and drinking help kick in peristalsis quicker and it makes much easier to go. If I don't move my bowels within 36 hours I use a glycerin suppository to help soften the stool and makes it easier to go and if that doesn't work then I use another suppository after 6 hours. This usually happens when I get lazy about my diet,drinking enough water, and not taking the time I need on the toilet everyday to move my bowels. My biggest enemy is myself when I don't stay vigilant everyday to make sure I move my bowels at least once a day.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-03-2012 at 08:33 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to flipfleury For This Useful Post:
Kelly2737 (07-09-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User

i am going through the same thing mine even started around the same time as you. i am 24 year old female all of a sudden one day in may or june 2011 i started getting really full and bloated from eating something small and i was badly constipated. before that i was very thin fit and never had constipation. after months of my doctors basically laughing at me like it was all in my head and me freaking out worrying and with no support i was finally diagnosed with gastroparesis after a series of tests. it sucks i dont know if it will ever go away i hope and pray everyday it will as it has taken my life away from me i always look fat and pregnant and i get full very fast and i cant go to the bathroom unless iu eat 3-4 table spoons of ground flaxseed everyday. so maybe you can have gastroparesis too you should have a upper gi series done or a gastric emptying study. what causes it? who knows.

The Following User Says Thank You to Twisted Metal For This Useful Post:
Kelly2737 (07-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
(female)

estelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB User

Have you have your self checked for ovarian problems, they can cause lots of those symptoms if some thing is a miss with them.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
(female)

its probly post-viral gastroparesis. she had some kind of stomach virus and ended up with post-viral gastroparesis. from what i read it lasts anywhere from 6 months to 3 years depending on the age and health of the individual.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
(female)

itsrah HB User

I totally have the same symptoms! Im a 31 y/o female. In good shape, always been concerned with health and fitness. I guess I did fall off the wagon for a little bit, but decided to get back on. I noticed also that I was super bloated in the lower abs. Constipation also. At one time, my constipation was so bad, I barely could get out of bed. I went to get a colonic that evening, and ended up going back 2 more times that weekend and saw things in there I ate a week ago! omg! But after that I felt better, stomach flatter and I vowed to do right by my stomach going forward. But not even a month later I felt it again and went back for another two visits. Here are what I've tried to help:

-Digestive Gold Enzymes (not quite sure if it helped)
-Dr. Shulze Intestina Formula #1 (natural herbal supplement that works to move my bowels, if constipated, but working to not have to use it)
-Coconut Water Kefir by mytonix.com (if I have abdominal pain, this helps alot to relieve it. Adds good gut bacteria, Just pricey)
-Fasting, sleeping well, water (I found it helps to let my body rest and heal on its own)
-My colon hydrotherapist suggested also journalling in the morning to get your mind off of stress and therefore let your body know its ok to continue digesting and eliminating. (Working on this one at the moment, she said it worked for her roommate).
-Deep breathing exercises (Our digestion stops when we are stressed, flight or fight, so I do my best to stay relaxed as much as possible)
-Rebounding (I bought a mini-trampoline that I jump on for 20 mins in the morning to help move my lymph and digestive, I feel like this also helps unstick things.)

Hope this helps, lets all keep each other updated, hopefully we can figure this out soon!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
(female)

Kelly2737 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Metal View Post
i am going through the same thing mine even started around the same time as you. i am 24 year old female all of a sudden one day in may or june 2011 i started getting really full and bloated from eating something small and i was badly constipated. before that i was very thin fit and never had constipation. after months of my doctors basically laughing at me like it was all in my head and me freaking out worrying and with no support i was finally diagnosed with gastroparesis after a series of tests. it sucks i dont know if it will ever go away i hope and pray everyday it will as it has taken my life away from me i always look fat and pregnant and i get full very fast and i cant go to the bathroom unless iu eat 3-4 table spoons of ground flaxseed everyday. so maybe you can have gastroparesis too you should have a upper gi series done or a gastric emptying study. what causes it? who knows.
Thanks Twisted Metal, I didn't know I had replies to this and just checked it today, but in the past couple weeks I've been thinking more and more that it must be that. One of the biggest effects of whatever it is that I have is fiber constipates me like crazy ! (in the form of psyllium, flaxseed, bran, oats, etc). I used to eat ground flaxseed everyday, which made me have a BM 3-4 times a day, but now, it makes me not have a BM for 2-3 days. I still don't have insurance since Jan. and am considering going to a naturopath who specializes in digestive issues.

Bloating has not gotten any better...it seems hard to lose the weight that I've only gained around my mid-section. I wish this thing would just freaking go away! Like I've read it has for many people. Definitely a damper on my social life/sex life. In my recent searches, I've found people have success (or feel they have been cured) with alpha lipoic acid, coq10 and magnesium citrate. Going to get ALA today to see if it helps. I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Are any of you guys progressing since you last posted??? It's comforting to hear of people doing better!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
(female)

itsrah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2737 View Post
Thanks Twisted Metal, I didn't know I had replies to this and just checked it today, but in the past couple weeks I've been thinking more and more that it must be that. One of the biggest effects of whatever it is that I have is fiber constipates me like crazy ! (in the form of psyllium, flaxseed, bran, oats, etc). I used to eat ground flaxseed everyday, which made me have a BM 3-4 times a day, but now, it makes me not have a BM for 2-3 days. I still don't have insurance since Jan. and am considering going to a naturopath who specializes in digestive issues.

Bloating has not gotten any better...it seems hard to lose the weight that I've only gained around my mid-section. I wish this thing would just freaking go away! Like I've read it has for many people. Definitely a damper on my social life/sex life. In my recent searches, I've found people have success (or feel they have been cured) with alpha lipoic acid, coq10 and magnesium citrate. Going to get ALA today to see if it helps. I will keep you guys posted on my progress.

Are any of you guys progressing since you last posted??? It's comforting to hear of people doing better!
I have had a breakthrough, I wanted to share with you all in case this will work for you too!

After research and recommendations from my chiropractor:

That evening I took:
2 Magnesium Supplements
1 Cup of Triple Leaf Tea (Dieter's)
1 Dose of Dr. Shulze's Intestinal Formula #1

The next afternoon I went hiking. And during the end of the hike I felt the sudden need to release. I believe that the sun and the up and down movement of walking, helped to shake everything up as well. What a great feeling of relief afterwards. I think I've found my formula. Hope this may help you guys too! Soo much better!

Take care! Rah

Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
(female)

Kelly2737 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrah View Post
I have had a breakthrough, I wanted to share with you all in case this will work for you too!

After research and recommendations from my chiropractor:

That evening I took:
2 Magnesium Supplements
1 Cup of Triple Leaf Tea (Dieter's)
1 Dose of Dr. Shulze's Intestinal Formula #1

The next afternoon I went hiking. And during the end of the hike I felt the sudden need to release. I believe that the sun and the up and down movement of walking, helped to shake everything up as well. What a great feeling of relief afterwards. I think I've found my formula. Hope this may help you guys too! Soo much better!

Take care! Rah
That's awesome Rah! Its so exciting when something begins to help! Do any of those have a laxative effect?? I know Mag O7 and Smooth Move Tea work for me if I need it but I don't want to use anything that is just helping the symptoms, ya know? Maybe it is asking to much to just be healed so that I don't need to use anything anymore
How often do you have a BM Rah? I have them once a day, which I know is fine and there are others alot worse off, but I still have digestive discomfort and bloating that never goes away. And yes, exercise does help noticeably! So does chewing food to make it close to a liquid!

Also, did you (or Twisted Metal) experience weight loss/gain?? I gained weight ONLY in my waist/mid-section....the most dreaded place

Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
(female)

Sorry for the late reply i also did not notice these replies. It's been over a year since these digestive issues started. I did not gain pounds in my midsection at all but i am always bloated, unless i dont eat for 2 whole days. I look much bigger but i did not gain weight it just looks like i did. I have not made any progress. Since we last posted i have used 2 rounds of Erythromycin which is an antibiotic sometimes prescribed for gastroparesis or slow gut motility that for some reason acts in your gut and helps it move. It did help me a little. But i'm not on it anymore. Another thing i noticed though is my stomach is making more noises as time goes on. for the first 10 months after this started, i could never ever feel my stomach moving or hear it making any sounds at all like no stomach grumbling when i was hungry. It felt as if my digestive system was dead. But after those first 10 months now i can feel and hear it moving however i still am full constipated and bloated. I have also given up gluten for the past 3 weeks maybe i have a non celiac gluten intolorance but that seems unpromising. Also my doctor says it might be causes by my thyroid but i doubt that too i think she is grasping at straws becuz i am on synthroid and my labs show my thyroid is normal and even before that i was hyper thyroid and slow digestion is commonly known to also be caused by hypothyroid not hypo. I was just prescribed a rx version of Miralax which i havent tried i just started it today. I have gotton tired of everything now i take laxatives more then before because it just makes things easier i know its not healthy though. i hope you are feeling better ! i'm glad you seem to at least be staying positive!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
(female)

Kelly2737 HB User

That's is good about hearing noises in your stomach! Come to think of it I am hearing them these days more than in the past year also. Like I've said, Miralax and fiber don't do anything for me, but laxatives work, harshly. I've started to use Mag 07 by Aerobic Life, and it works GREAT! Its supposed to work as a cleanse (non-fiber) using magnesium and oxygen. It gives me craaaazy diarrhea when I take 4 or 5, but at least it flushes it all out of me! It says it is non-habit forming too, but I won't take any chances getting my body reliant on it, so I won't use it every day or anything. I can also hear alot of stomach noises after I take them. Only part I don't like is even in the days after I stop taking it , my stool is still close to diarrhea. It takes a few days for it to get to what passes for normal looking (for me). Even after it cleans me out though, I still have the stomach distension (mainly starting below my ribs). I say distension and not bloated because there is no discomfort at all when its like that and its still there even though it "feels" like my digestive system is pretty much empty.

But I don't want to have to rely on anything (prescription, even non-prescription) to make me feel better. I just want to heal the root cause, whatever that may be. Please keep me posted on what's going on with you! Especially if you have a spontaneous recovery

Old 07-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
(female)

Kelly2737 HB User

That's is good about hearing noises in your stomach! Come to think of it I am hearing them these days more than in the past year also. Like I've said, Miralax and fiber don't do anything for me, but laxatives work, harshly. I've started to use Mag 07 by Aerobic Life, and it works GREAT! Its supposed to work as a cleanse (non-fiber) using magnesium and oxygen. It gives me craaaazy diarrhea when I take 4 or 5, but at least it flushes it all out of me! It says it is non-habit forming too, but I won't take any chances getting my body reliant on it, so I won't use it every day or anything. I can also hear alot of stomach noises after I take them. Only part I don't like is even in the days after I stop taking it , my stool is still close to diarrhea. It takes a few days for it to get to what passes for normal looking (for me). Even after it cleans me out though, I still have the stomach distension (mainly starting below my ribs). I say distension and not bloated because there is no discomfort at all when its like that and its still there even though it "feels" like my digestive system is pretty much empty.

But I don't want to have to rely on anything (prescription, even non-prescription) to make me feel better. I just want to heal the root cause, whatever that may be. Please keep me posted on what's going on with you! Especially if you have a spontaneous recovery

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
(female)

I saw my gastro today. As usualy he was annoyed and unhappy to see me because i am clearly a lost cause and a waste of time to him. He prescribed me Xifaxan (rifaximin) 10 day course antibiotic because i asked him. It is basically they only thing i have not tried. I am hoping for a miracle.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
(female)

Pil HB User

Sorry for suddenly jumping in. I actually merely registered on this site for the sole purpose of writing here.
June 2011 I, too, experienced these problems. June/start of july. I was sixteen then, seventeen now. It has been an ongoing problem, a terrible one. Ironically it all began AFTER I started getting healthy, exercising and eating right etc.
It's terribly depressing and distracting. I also experience a lot of (smelly) gasses.

To me breads and oats also seem to make things worse, however raw, fresh foods, fruits and vegetables, make things much, much better. For a short period I was actually raw vegan and this was when I felt the best. However, I would like to be able to eat normally.

I don't know what it is, and doctors are giving up on me as well. Next week I'm going to the gynaecologist. I hope to soon find and answer.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pil View Post
Sorry for suddenly jumping in. I actually merely registered on this site for the sole purpose of writing here.
June 2011 I, too, experienced these problems. June/start of july. I was sixteen then, seventeen now. It has been an ongoing problem, a terrible one. Ironically it all began AFTER I started getting healthy, exercising and eating right etc.
It's terribly depressing and distracting. I also experience a lot of (smelly) gasses.

To me breads and oats also seem to make things worse, however raw, fresh foods, fruits and vegetables, make things much, much better. For a short period I was actually raw vegan and this was when I felt the best. However, I would like to be able to eat normally.

I don't know what it is, and doctors are giving up on me as well. Next week I'm going to the gynaecologist. I hope to soon find and answer.
You could have Celiacs disease have you looked into it?

Closed Thread

Tags
acid, bloated, bloating, reflux, stomach