It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
(female)

firefly214 HB User
Unhappy Gastroparesis

Ive kinda known I have had this condition for awhile but did not know how bad it was until my endoscopy on Friday.

Help!!! Doctor won't prescribe Reglan and is not doing anything besides saying eat smaller meals, which I already do. Ugh.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Gastroparesis

Hi, I have GP too. Luckily mine is relatively mild, unluckily I have other digestive disorders, too.

What did the endoscopy find? Have you ever had a stomach emptying study?

Reglan has some nasty side effects. Erythromycin or Domperidone can also help many people (Domperidone isn't sold in the US, but your doctor can still help you get it if he is willing.)

It's not just smaller meals, it's changing the content of your meals. Low-fiber, low fat. If you eat veggies, cook them. Putting food through a blender can also make it easier for the stomach to process.

What are your main symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
(female)

firefly214 HB User
Unhappy Re: Gastroparesis

I have had 2 nissen fundoplication surgeries, first one in jan 2007 and second one to correct that one in april 2010. doing pre-op in dec 2006 texas doctors discovered my tum wasnt emptying very fast but they didnt think it was a big deal. well it is. i have gained 40 lbs since the april 2010 surgery and i look 6 months pregnant. everything i eat comes back up via acid reflux. the heart burn is unbearable which is why i had the tum surgeries. they also took out my gallbladder during the 2nd surgery.

umm, im rambling. my gastro doctor here in portland is of no use. he said to call him in 6 weeks if i dont feel better.

im starving!!! :-(

Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
(female)

firefly214 HB User

and the endoscopy was to figure out why i was having so much heartburn and bloating after 2 surgeries. they found my stomach was full after having fasted for 12 hours.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It might help to find a GI doc who works a lot with motility disorders. My first GI just told me to keep taking higher and higher doses of PPIs forever and seemed to have no interest in doing anything else.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User

they discovered my gastroparesis the same way. they did the endoscopy and after fasting for 12 hours i still had food in my stomach. anyway what i want to say is that i have been prescribed Reglan and i don't take it. it does help a little and they said to take it 30 mins before meals but it always seems to take different amounts of time to kick in probably because i have delayed digestion right haha. and the Reglan makes me very sleepy irritable and anxious. so dont think you are missing out on some miracle drug. it wont change your life basically it helps nausea but you will still feel bloated and full.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
(female)

firefly214 HB User

I have had Reglan before in the past and it did work very well for my nausea and even heartburn but that was before the warnings and now doctors are scared. I WISH I could get a script for it. I don't wanna take it all the time either.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly214 View Post
I have had Reglan before in the past and it did work very well for my nausea and even heartburn but that was before the warnings and now doctors are scared. I WISH I could get a script for it. I don't wanna take it all the time either.

o im sorry you cant get a rx for it, i have read people say they have ordered the domperidone or however it is called from canada over the internet without needing a prescription, i dont know the website or the cost but i hope that helps. for me gastroparesis is mostly early satiety and huge huge huge bloating. it is very frustrating to feel so full CONSTANTLY and always feel so huge and uncomfortable. o worse thing being *** caused it in the first place.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
(female)

firefly214 HB User

my gastro doctor who did the endoscopy is blowing me off big time so i searched for another clinic not related to this one huge group i currently see and have an appt in april bc they are booked so far out, dammit!

i told the nurse at my current gastro that i am having increasing hypoglycemia attacks due to eating smaller meals, more frequently. this is BS! she was like, umm, i'll get back to you, and that was over a week ago.

i am so frustrated, i just wanna scream!

Closed Thread