It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

abayomi10 HB User
HELP... Wine, Coffee and sugar/choc burn stomach???

I am new to this group (46yrs)....Looking for some direction in what might be going on.... Wine, Coffee and Chocolate among other things make my stomach not feel well. Like a burning uneasy sensation. It seems when my stomach is empty, it doesn't feel well at all and often wakes me up in the middle of the night. I have no idea if i have an ulcer, hiadia hernia, gastritis, IBS??

I have had an abdominal and pelvic ultra sound, just had a colonoscopy and am going in one week for an endescope. No lactose intolerance... no H-pylori. My gastroenterologist thinks nothing is wrong and it's all caused by stress.

5 weeks ago he put me on Rabeprazole (acid blocker) once a day 1/2 before breakfast. It seemed to help my loose stools (now normal) that I had been having for 15 months... but doesn't seem to help my stomach feel any better.

Does anyone have ANY IDEAS as to what might be going on? I still can't even drink a 1/2 glass of wine (red or while) without feeling HORRIBLE!! I cut out coffee, milk products all alcohol and sugar for 7 weeks and had one glass of wine and felt HORRIBLE!!!

Any thoughts ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Does anyone have similar symptoms?

Thanks so much!!

Tracy

Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
(female)

Kate171 HB User
Question Re: HELP...Wine, Coffee and sugar/choc burn stomach???

Quote:
Originally Posted by abayomi10 View Post
I am new to this group (46yrs)....Looking for some direction in what might be going on.... Wine, Coffee and Chocolate among other things make my stomach not feel well. Like a burning uneasy sensation. It seems when my stomach is empty, it doesn't feel well at all and often wakes me up in the middle of the night. I have no idea if i have an ulcer, hiadia hernia, gastritis, IBS??

I have had an abdominal and pelvic ultra sound, just had a colonoscopy and am going in one week for an endescope. No lactose intolerance... no H-pylori. My gastroenterologist thinks nothing is wrong and it's all caused by stress.

5 weeks ago he put me on Rabeprazole (acid blocker) once a day 1/2 before breakfast. It seemed to help my loose stools (now normal) that I had been having for 15 months... but doesn't seem to help my stomach feel any better.

Does anyone have ANY IDEAS as to what might be going on? I still can't even drink a 1/2 glass of wine (red or while) without feeling HORRIBLE!! I cut out coffee, milk products all alcohol and sugar for 7 weeks and had one glass of wine and felt HORRIBLE!!!

Any thoughts ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Does anyone have similar symptoms?

Thanks so much!!

Tracy
Hi Tracy,
I noticed the date so I'm assuming you have already had your endoscopy by now, do you have your results?
Everything you named in your message above is what you shouldn't eat or drink if you have relux disease. I have had to give up all those things, just to be without pain. If I go back to my old habbits I get sick again and it's not worth it. I bought a book about acid reflux and it has a diet in it that really helps. Oat meal is one of my staples it is very good for your stomach and you can have it any time you want. If I start the day with oatmeal on my stomach I feel good all day long. You can add cinnamin and raisons to it for taste.
Please let me know how you make out.
Kate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: HELP...Wine, Coffee and sugar/choc burn stomach???

My Hiatal-Hernia and Ulcer was found during an Endoscopy. I had all your symptoms and more
I love Chocolate but it plays havoc with my stomach and after my Ulcer I can no longer drink wine, acidic fruits are also a no-no.
Your Endoscopy will show up if you have an Ulcer or H.H. PPIs did not help me. Domperidone helped somewhat.
I also have IBS and some of your symptoms point to that as well. This is diagnosed when all other tests prove negative.
I found eating smaller meals more often and no food three hours before bedtime really helped me. Also eliminating what makes your symptoms worse.
All the best,

Solofelix.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sounds like it might be a form of gastritis. You might just have to give up coffee and wine in the long term, it may be you can't tolerate them any more. Heaven knows I can't. Or, bland diet and acid-blocking medicines may let it heal.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
abayomi10 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
(female)

abayomi10 HB User

Thank you SOOOO MUCH for your replys!! I go in on March 12th for an edoscope so hoping to get some answers. i guess i have blamed it on the years of skipping breakfast and drinking a huge Caffe late on an empty stomach.... also having a glass or two of wine while cooking dinner, also on an empty stomach. It's my own fault!! Now I can't drink either without feeling ill... so i don't!!

What is very interesting is I also often feel like I am hungry even though i have just eaten a large meal. It makes me feel better when i eat (as long as its the right things). Interestingly i can eat grapefruit and it doesn't bother me... not sure why. I just have a odd hunger type of burning feeling through the night when my stomach is empty. Even when i take my Rabeprazole in the morning... it doesn't go away. When i eat it feels better. Never have I has even the slightest stomach problems ever before.

How do people get hiatal Hernias? I hope that this all goes away in time! I don't believe the meds are working at all...although i have way less gas (almost none) but am now burping sometimes. My gastro Dr thinks it is nothing at all and just from stress. We have had a very tragic year after loosing my husbands sister to cancer. She was so young (44) and left behind two precious young daughters. It's all so heartbreaking. So not sure if it's even an ulcer? Do my symptoms seem like an ulcer?

Thanks again for all the replys!! It's wonderful to have found a group to help understand it all.

Any other thoughts, comments... please don't hesitate to post.
Tracy

Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
When I had my Ulcer the pain was a sort of Gnawing pain between my bellybutton and just under my rib area and right in the centre.
Doesn't mean to say everybody's is the same. I also suffered awful Nausea and constant belching.
Hope you soon find an answer.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
abayomi10 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
(female)

Kate171 HB User

Hi Tracy,
I'm sure your endoscopy will show what is wrong. Ulcers can be caused by H Polori. They use to think years ago that ulcers were always from nerves and worry, but now they know it's H Polori that is the biggest cause of them and they can be treated by antibiotics.
I know exactly how you feel, because before I had my endoscopy I was very sick and every time I ate it didn't go down, it came right back out. I lost 22 lbs in 3 weeks. As soon as I got on the antibiotics I started feeling better and by the time I was done with them most of my sysptoms went away. Then I started feeling like I could try different things and I started having problems again so I cut back to bland diet and continue to take my nexium (40mg) before my largest meal of the day, now I'm feeling much better.
Just be sure to follow a bland diet and take your meds till the doctor tells you to stop them. That was my problem I probably wasn't healed and I stopped taking my reflux meds. Any citrus food is a no no. I find I can have a drink if I mix it with milk, wine especially white wine is out and fermented drinks like beer is not good for you.
The best thing to do is get a book that has the PH value for all foods and drinks and stay with the highest PH ones. Try not to go under a 4.5 PH.
Also the doctor told me I could have been born with the hiatal hernia. One of my sisters also has one and the other has a bad reflux problem so she probably does too. She hasn't been tested yet.
Please let us know how you make out with the endoscopy. They probably won't let you know if you hav HP untill the biopsy comes back in about 1 week, that's how it was for me.
Kate

The Following User Says Thank You to Kate171 For This Useful Post:
abayomi10 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
(female)

abayomi10 HB User
Update - HELP... Wine, Coffee and sugar/choc burn stomach...STRESS???

Here is an update... I had my endoscope and the Dr said everything was fine. Although i still feel so much burning. He thinks it is stress related... Does anyone else have stomach problems that are brought on by stress? I am happy that nothing showed up but so confused as to what is going on. Please feel free to share any experiences or thoughts.

thank so much!

Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
(female)

Cindy89 HB User
Re: HELP... Wine, Coffee and sugar/choc burn stomach???

Hi
I also have burning tummy and haven't got any answers yet. Mine goes to my back and causes havoc to my sleep. does any have this as well. I'm still trying to figure this out. i suspect it could be hormone related as i am peri-menopausal as well. If anyone know how to stop the burrning let me know.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
(female)

abayomi10 HB User
Re: HELP... Wine, Coffee and sugar/choc burn stomach???

Funny you should mention your back. I often also get a very tightened back, especially after a few hours sleep. I can`t sleep either and have to get up and move around for it to loosen up. I am not sure if this is from weakened muscles or my prolapsed bladder and laying horizontal while sleeping. My back is fine when i am straight up during the day. Just wish i could stop the burning. The gastro doctor said the PPI medication (to cut acid down) wasnt doing anything.. so he told me to stop them. I have been off for almost a week and nothing has changed.

Just wonder if he is correct and it could be all stress related…

Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
(female)

summer12 HB User

There are different types of ulcers. Maybe you have a peptic ulcer,that food ,initially eases the symptom's and can cause burning. Also,do you have excessive urination? Interstitial cystitis can also cause burning in lower abdomen,anything that is acidic,aggravates this condition. Google your symptoms,and see what comes up.

Closed Thread